16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Need 16 ga. Browning
chilly460
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:23 am  Reply with quote

Well, I called Reeds and they are out of stock, webpage is not current. Same for Impact Guns, none in stock.
Foursquare
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:45 am  Reply with quote

On the digital scale, my 28" Gran Lightning (vintage '03) weighs EXACTLY 7.00 lbs.

Pete
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:11 pm  Reply with quote

16 g.guy,
I am not anti Browning. Quite the contrary. I own 4 Brownings now. I have had more in the past. I just assumed that weight was one of the resaons to own the Browning Citori. My Brownings probably will not resale for as much as yours though because I have to shorten the stocks to 13 3/8" or forgetaboutit, I can't shoot it. One advantage that I can see w/ the DeHaan, though I probably am the only person in the world who believes this, is that the DeHaan 16 gauge has FIXED CHOKES!
I really don't like choke tubes in doubles; I'd rather change the load I am shooting than change choke tubes.
I agree the Browning is a better gun, but for the record, I won the 2006 Bronze Medal in skeet at the Florida State Shooting Games shooting the 16 gauge DeHaan w/ 7/8 ounce loads using the BP X spreader insert. I was shooting against a lot of Brownings, and the $800 difference still jingle jangles in my pocket.
XVI

20m3s
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:34 pm  Reply with quote

I'm a new 16 gauge owner and have been lurking here now and again, ever since my brother picked up a 16 gauge Citori a couple of years ago.

He and I usually hook up for one late-season (as in late December/early January) pheasant hunt on our Dad's farm in North Dakota. It's usually cold, windy weather, with wild birds and lots of cattails and snow to push through. And way too much fun.

It didn't take me long to figure out that his 16 was doing just as well on the roosters as my 12 gauge Citori and he was carrying about 2 pounds less weight. It took me a bit of time to find one, but I now have my own 16 gauge Citori.

Mine (like his) is one of the recent run, of which I believe a small portion were made for especially for Scheel's. We both have alloy receivers engraved with pheasant scenes, 28 inch barrels and a matte-finish stock with a round knob and a schnabel forend. Mine weighs a bit over 6 1/2 pounds. I think he paid about $1300 for his new, I got mine used for a bit over $900.

I've only shot skeet with it thus far, but it handles nicely and fits well. I think I'll like it.

Sorry to make a short story long, but in the course of looking for my 16 Citori, I looked at a new one several times at a local shop. It has a black receiver with the superposed-style rosette engraving and 26 inch barrels. The stock has a glossy finish and a round knob and, I believe, a lightning-style forearm. It looked a bit shopworn to my eye, but I'm pretty sure it's new and would clean up nicely. I assume it would come with box and paperwork. It was priced at $1289 and has been there for a couple of years. I thought hard about it, but held out for 28 inch barrels.

It was still there within the last month -- if it's kosher to do so, I can post the contact information for the shop. It might be a good opportunity for someone who can't wait for the next run of Citori 16's.

Anyhow, I enjoy lurking here and appreciate the forum.

-20m3s