16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  buffered loads
spr310
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:28 pm  Reply with quote

Just for information. This is what a 1 1/8oz buffered load will do at 40 yards
[img] [/img]
I am working on some buffered loads in both 16 gauge and 12 gauge to see how they perform at distances over 30 yards. That steel blade is 24" in diameter. Besides the pattern there seems to be an increase in velocity. They really make the blade ring. Haven't had any 16 gauge loads tested yet, but the 12 gauge loads are loads put out by Tom Roster.
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:47 am  Reply with quote

I have used Tom Roster's recipes for 10ga magnum turkey loads since '92.

Quote:
Generally speaking, buffer added to a lead shotshell load will nearly always raise chamber pressure of that load.

spr310
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:51 pm  Reply with quote

16 gauge 7/8 oz load at 40 yards. Another example of a buffered shot.

[img] [/img]

Here's a picture to give you an example of where I'm standing. I'm shooting from about 8 yards behind the corn you see on the ground. All shots are taken with no rest. Just look at the washer in the center of the blade, mount the gun and fire.
[img] [/img]
The 7/8 oz load picture is of the blade in the rear.
Hootch
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:56 pm  Reply with quote

Well, if Tom Roster says so, then it must be so. Don't take anything from him as gospel, although he may believe he is the Messiah, he ain't.
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:45 am  Reply with quote

If not Roster, then who? You?

Hootch
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

No, not me, I couldn't dream of being that level of an a**-hole Tom is.

Last edited by Hootch on Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:37 pm  Reply with quote

Not to get this thread back on track but, is the blade spray painted after each shot? If so, is there a wait between shooting times? Cool Cool
spr310
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:34 pm  Reply with quote

I don't spray paint. I use regular gallons of paint or primer. I have gallons of it left over from when I was painting houses. It's fairly heavy. I just brush on a new coat after I shoot and wait awhile. In the summer it dries quicker.I f I want a full or almost new coat I just shoot about four shells and it cleans it off. I allways tinted the primers so that's why the color.
deer hunter
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

Geo - try heavy grease and you can just smudge it smooth after each shot - no delay

spr310
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:25 pm  Reply with quote

I tried grease but the hits don't show up as well. Besides I've still got about ten gallons of old primer and paint left. It's not that long a wait. Actually if I count whats in five gallon buckets it's probably close to 50 gallons. Anybody want to paint their house with an assortment of colors?
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:02 pm  Reply with quote

Spr-

Why don't you get a 55 gal drum, dump all the paint into it, stir it up and patent a new and exclusive color?
GWP
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:09 am  Reply with quote

Our local range uses the grease and I have had trouble seeing the hits as well. Not to mention when it is cold it does not roll very easy. I need to get out and do some patterning. I have been using the 36" roll paper used for masking off for painting streched between two uprights. Did you also try the same loads un-buffered?
spr310
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:16 am  Reply with quote

I've tried most of the loads without the buffer. Most of the time I just patterned at 30 or 35 yards. I will shoot some of my regular loads at 40 yards and take some pictures. I hunt over pointing dogs and most of my shots are in the 20 to 30 yard range. But this year up at the preserve there were a lot of scratch birds, After a few days those birds are running like wild birds, running and getting up in front of the dogs and some in the woods next to the fields. I was hitting the birds but they weren't coming down dead, So I'm trying buffered loads to give me a little better pattern and speed for the long shots. I'm going up next week and see if there are any scratch birds left and try out some loads. Even the grouse were getting up wild this year. Not holding for the dogs. May even help there. Yesterday during our walk the dogs were working a grouse hard and the bird got up about fifty feet away from where the dogs were. If the season was still open it would have been a long shot.
Golfswithwolves
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:33 am  Reply with quote

I have been breaking down some shells to salvage the Bismuth and Tungsten Polymer shot, since I no longer own shotguns with the longer chambers these shells require. All of the shells so far have buffer material in them, and I have noticed that there is a lot of clumping of the shot together and a lot of buffer material that sticks tightly onto pellets. Some of the clumps are quite difficult to break apart. I have to wonder what would happen to these pellets when fired- it doesn't seem to me like it could do the patterns any good.

spr310
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:50 pm  Reply with quote

The only way to know is to try a couple of them. I have some old Rem express magnum loads. They have buffer material in them. I suppose I could try a couple and see how they pattern. Most of the magnum loads have buffer material in them. Also used in steel loads.