16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Anyone w/field experience with ITX shot?
Rooster
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:03 pm  Reply with quote

I am thinking of trying to go "all 16ga." next year, to include my waterfowling. Ducks are what I do most of and I have been looking at ITX as a superior load to steel.

Haven't tried any of the ITX yet, just read a few bits and pieces. Looking for good solid field experience with this shot from a 16 bore. Any help would be appreciated.

Our season has ended here so it is time to start working on next year's loads. I shoot at a LOT of ducks, just don't kill many Shocked so I need to stockpile a few rounds.

Thanks,
Rooster

Hootch
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:12 pm  Reply with quote

I have shot a few, but started using Nice Shot and quit messing around with it. Nice Shot too simple to load not to use it.

It worked on the birds I shot, but I didn't shoot enough to say one way or another if I liked it.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:41 pm  Reply with quote

I just about had my self talked into getting some when I decided to get factory TM shells and wait for bulk shot more akin to lead. Then Nice shot became available so when I start loading for No-Tox, that's what I'll be using. So to answer your question, No I have no field experience with ITX.
Rooster
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:10 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys,
Just trying to come up with a plan before spending many bucks. I have heard much good about Nice Shot but the cost is quite a bit more than the ITX, and I usually go through at least one flat of steel(usually more) every duck season. $$$$$$$$$$$ when you are talking non steel alternatives!

Did I mention that I shoot AT a lot of ducks? Maybe a coach who works with "one eyed/over 62" guys would be cheaper!
Rooster

Gil S
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:28 pm  Reply with quote

I have 7 lbs. of ITX to load. I hesitate to repeat what I've read about it, but according to some reports, it tends to have pressure spikes because of its hardness compared with Nice Shot. However, it is less expensive than Nice.
Citori_16
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

Rooster,

Do you shoot at a lot of ducks, or do you shoot at a lot of ducks many times on the water cause they're not dead? That may change with Nice Shot enough to negate the "I shoot at lots of ducks" problems related to steel.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

I occasionally have the problem of "shooting at a lot of ducks" but I find that I do better if I shoot at one of them at a time. Smile
kiwi
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:43 pm  Reply with quote

Ok I have used 6-7 bags over the last few seasons. Yes it works.
Have found that the pellets can drag some feathers in to the wound channel.
I mostly load #2 & 4 for geese and ducks. Was never able to get a pattern I was happy with in the # 6, seamed to blow out. Fine till about 30 yards. Nice and even but, Opens up more than am after.
I run my field loads fairly heavy and fast. Mostly cause we get lots geese. And field hunt.
And I hunt away for several days at a time and cant always tailer loads for ducks.
ITX patterns tight.
my 11/8 oz # 2 load is about 80% at 40 yards. In ic choke using Bp vp80 wad, split to with in 1/4. " off bottom.
Have been playing around with some high speed # 4 loads that seem to work well on ducks. 1450 fps. Got these loads of BP load of the week.
I also use nice shot and Hevi shot both are superior in my mind. But more expensive.
Have been using some eley bismuth the last few hunts and it's cheaper for me to buy and I think better as pellets patterns are the same but weight density is higher. Closer to lead.
Have taken close too 200 geese and as many ducks in the last three seasons.
Had several mates with 12 ga shooting steel, commement on the effectiveness of the 16 ga, but mostly it's superior shooting and better shot making the difference. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Cool
Rooster
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:29 pm  Reply with quote

Citori_16 wrote:
Rooster,

Do you shoot at a lot of ducks, or do you shoot at a lot of ducks many times on the water cause they're not dead? That may change with Nice Shot enough to negate the "I shoot at lots of ducks" problems related to steel.

More truth here than I like; I don't shoot looooong range, 40yds is long to me, mostly 25-35. I have found my best patterning load in my 12 bore is 1 1/8, no3steel, @1500-1550. More times than I like it is 1 to make them flutter, 2 to bring them down, and 3 maybe 4 to kill them on the water. I don't like that.
I realize I am not a GREAT shot, but I do pretty well on the SC range and take my share of doves, phez, and quail without an undue number of misses.
At any rate, I shoot my little 16sxs as well or better than any other smoothbore I own and am determined to use it next year. I have used it to some degree on ducks with factory and home grown steel loads and am not impressed with either. I intend to find something that works for me.
I sure miss them ol Super X 4s and 6s! Crying or Very sad
Rooster

Leicadave
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:50 pm  Reply with quote

Well, have loaded Nice and ITX in 2 3/4 and 2 1/2 loads using PB mostly. Have found it very effective on pheasants, chukars, and also scoters and Old Squaws...ironically taking the latter two species with No. 6 shot. These are relatively low pressure, ca. 7,500, but decent velocity over 1200. I've provided spr310 with the data on these loads so you should be able to find them in the LP group info.

So, my field experience says ITX is good; definitely appeared to hit a lot harder than steel and can be loaded to decent low pressures in 12 and 16 without problems. As a friend says, it's all expensive, but this is the sport of kings and shells are pretty cheap compared to shotguns....

The volume of shot will be an issue in reloading as I've consistently found I've reduced the shot by 1/8th oz. to get a good crimp...new shells don't hold it sometimes as well as once-fired. Like the Cheddite 2 1/2 hulls particularly and have loaded fired RST's and Gamebores as well which have all performed well.

Hope this is useful.

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Theodore Roosevelt
Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:19 am  Reply with quote

LD, are you star or roll crimping? Gil
Leicadave
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:02 am  Reply with quote

These have been 6 pt. star crimps.

Going to learn roll crimping for next season which will probably make the 1/8 oz. difference. But they hit hard enough and kill well even with the lighter loads, and the low pressures are good for my old LCs, Fox, and those tough old Knickerbockers....

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Theodore Roosevelt
GWP
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:05 am  Reply with quote

I load Hevi-Shot, Nice Shot, and ITX, plus some leftover Bismuth (same as Nice Shot) that I still have, and the Bismuth shot that was available on this site last year. If my barrel is open enough the Hevi-Shot is my fav, but they ALL work better then steel. I think you will find your kill ratio will go up with fewer follow up shots using either Nice Shot or ITX. For sure the Hevi-Shot! If you are hitting them (it sounds like you are) the same 'wounding' hit will probably kill them, so less shells used. Not to mention it is lethal at longer ranges. My wife is used to my reloads and liked the #6 ITX for her South Dakota hunt last year. She did not see much difference between the Bismuth or the ITX. I use star crimps, and mostly 1 oz. or 1 1/8 oz. in the 1200-1300 fps range. Same load for Ducks or Geese but use fours for Ducks and twos for Geese. If it is a mixed bag I do fours. I do not use steel at all any more, but carry a box of 12 ga and a box of 16 ga steel in case someone else needs Non Tox. Laughing
Rooster
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:57 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input fellows.
I think I will try a bag of the ITX and do some testing this summer.

I don't think I shoot as poorly as it might seem from my posts; I do think that if a person shoots an honest 50% on ducks they are shooting very well when you factor in swatting cripples, etc. Our season here runs 71 days counting teal and general duck season and I try to hunt all of it I can.

If you figure a 6 duck limit @ 50%, thats 12 rounds a hunt. I hunt at least half of the days, usually more. 35 days x 12rds x $3.00 a round for factory Hevi-shot or Kent TM runs $1260 on my calculator. That is tough on a retired ol farmer! So, I am looking for the most cost effective/effecient load I can produce.

Thanks again,
Rooster