16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Taking Your Gun To School.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:48 am  Reply with quote

Boy, that got everyones attention didn't it. Laughing

How many of you guys can remember the time when you would take your shotgun to school with you, for the late afternoon hunt after school. I never brought mine into the school, always left in the truck. But we used to bring them to school all the time in the fall. Then hit the woods for a few hours after school. Sometimes we'd even skip school to go hunting. You sure can't do that now. Crying or Very sad Boy how times and soceity have changed.
I suppose it might still happen in the more rural areas.
Brad6260
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:34 pm  Reply with quote

Cleaning a whole lot of Rabbits was a requirement to pass my high school football coaches health and P.E class. Almost thirty years later he and one of his asst. coaches are two of my closest hunting buddies.

My Model 37 made many trips to school with me.

lets see in today's terms that would piss off.

1) PETA
2) ACLU
3)State, federal and Local law enforcement
4) Homeland security
5) The school board.
6) Every school group except for the FFA club.
7) The vegetarians

Brad
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:52 pm  Reply with quote

Is that like Take Your Daughter to Work Day? Very Happy

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:15 pm  Reply with quote

A few years ago, my son, a junior in high school, was a mentor for a grade school boy who needed an older male in his life. The high school set up the program, which was rigorously supervised by the usual NEA indoctrinated zealots. At Christmas time, my son wondered what to get his small buddy.

My very first suggestions, and I'll bet some of yours would have been too, were a Case pocket knife, a P.S. Olt duck call, and a box of .22 Long rifle shells (Winchester, 40 gr. Super X Lubaloy coated, to be exact). I was brought back to reality when both my wife and daughter screeched that not only would the little boy likely be thrown out of school for brandishing his gifts in class, but our son would probably have been expelled for contribution to the delinquency of a minor.....Progress is change, but is change progress???

16ga.
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:27 pm  Reply with quote
Site Admin
Site Admin

You hit a warm memory or two here. I didn't have to take my gun to school. I didn't have to because home was only 5 minutes away and my favorite dove pond was only five minutes on the other side of that. Evening shoot, clean the birds, clean the gun, a little dinner and on to homework. No cell phones, no text messaging, no video games, everything was simple and fun. Gawd, I miss it. ---16ga.

Last edited by 16ga. on Wed May 17, 2006 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
fred lauer
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:37 pm  Reply with quote

In the late '60's , I had a side job going in shop class, refinishing gunstocks. Had a pal in metal shop who would chuck up 03A3 and Krag barreled actions,shotgun barrels,etc,,in the metal lathe and give 'em a Weatherby brite polish before I cold blued them. All our shop teachers were avid hunters or trap shooters and an eyebrow was never raised at any of my projects. I often took guns apart and took them on the bus in a brown grocerey bag. They also indulged my decoy making projects.All the while I was blissfully unaware just how lucky I was and what wonderful gentlemen those old fellas were. Thanks for bringing the subject up.

3DocPop
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:03 pm  Reply with quote

How times have changed! A few years ago, went to a high school playoff football game my nephews were playing in - anyway, we were the traveling team and went to Fairfield. Kind of getting near the San Francisco Bay area, but still really in the Central Valley of CA. We had to go through metal detectors to get in the game Confused

So, the honest, god-fearing kids now HAVE to be afraid of the ones that bring their guns to school Exclamation Something wrong there, and I think many of us have a pretty good idea.
ioannes
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:23 pm  Reply with quote

I Remember having a gun rack in the back window of my 68 Ford pickup. Kept my Stevens double in the rack along with a 22.

Could not wait for the first frost to hunt Ohio squirrel with the 22, and later in the fall hunt rabbits with the Stevens. Wink

Still have the Stevens and the 22. Dont have the pickup anymore. Nor do I put guns in the rack in the back window of a pickup anymore.

Times have changed and not for the better. Crying or Very sad

ioannes
311A 16ga
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:33 am  Reply with quote

Class of '55, Traverse City, MI

Common to take shotgun and hunting gear to school in the fall for a quicky after school hunt , leave the gun in the back seat of the '39 chevy. Occasionally someone would bring a new gun to school to show off, stick it in their locker, no one raised an eye brow. Often go down to the Wards store at noon break and talk a clerk into selling me a box of 16ga shotgun shells, store them in my locker and take them home on the bus (before I inherited the chev).

Times have changed youthful disputes are now settled with guns instead of with fists.
Mod 97
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:48 am  Reply with quote

Class of 1998. We'd go on Sept goose hunts before school and then waltz in to class just in time to be tardy, not absent. Still wearing camo, decoys etc. in the truck. The police liason at school - how many of you old timers had one of those - was a family friend and after a couple days of our antics he "reminded" me of the rules about guns. He "hadn't seen anything, but just wanted us to remember" . . . thank god we were on his good side! Looking back we sure weren't too smart, but we had fun and certainly never hurt anyone.

NR
GA_Longhorn
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:56 am  Reply with quote

311A 16ga wrote:
Class of '55, Traverse City, MI

Times have changed youthful disputes are now settled with guns instead of with fists.

You have hit upon one of my pet arguments. Young boys, nowadays, have been molded into such wussies that they are truly afriad of getting thier butts kicked. When we were younger, a dispute was settled behind the gym, often under the watchful eye of the Head Coach. When first blood was drawn, the disagreement was soon over. The next day, all was forgotten and the two participants were once again buddies or at least on even ground. A blck eye or a fat lip were worn as a badge of courage among our peers It showed that we were willing and able to stand up to the bullies and handle ourselves in a "manly" manner.

Now....if someone gets offended, he simply goes home and "gits his gat" and "pops a cap" on the other guy. That's the way real men do it, in todays's times. How times have changed........ Crying or Very sad

If more boys were taught to defend themselves, according to the Marquis of Queensbury rules, I think there would a greater measure of civility among today's teens and subsequent adults.

...but then that's just my $.02

Regards,
Charles

H.H. Hipshot
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:11 am  Reply with quote

I never took guns to school, but my mom was librarian at a Jr. High School, and I used to take her bunches of American Rifleman magazines.

She would put them out on the "free" rack, where they were eagerly read by the students, if the coaches and male teachers didn't abscond with them first. In fact, she would tell me when they were all gone and needed to be restocked.

I felt pretty good about spreading the word, and not just dumping my old issues in the trash. Come to think of it, I have a box of AR magazines right now that I am trying to give away. Maybe I'll find a Boy Scout troop that will take them.

HHH

budrichard
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:38 am  Reply with quote

In 1962 as a Freshman at the U of Wisconsin, I kept a 12 gauge and 22 lr under my bed in Chamberlan House in Residence Housing. Later as a Graduate Student, those guns were with me in Eagle Heights, married student housing. I don't think that is done anymore.-Dick
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:09 am  Reply with quote

Most campuses these days are "gun free" zones. When I was teaching at Iowa State, up to the late 90's, I'd arrange my schedule to have morning classes. (1st and 2nd semester French were daily classes, unfortunately.) Dog in his truck kennel, shotgun behind the seat (out of sight). After class in the fall, into hunting clothes, out the door, and down the road. I often wondered whether they could've charged me with anything, but I doubt it. I had a hunting license, concealed carry permit, and wasn't violating any state or city laws.

When I was in HS (graduated in 63), we had a school rifle team. Shot in the heating tunnels under the school.
brdhnt
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

How many remember when the books for the class on the first day of school were stacked in the corner and wrapped in binders twine? The teacher would assign a couple of the boys to hand out books knowing that they had a pocket knife in their pocekt to cut the twine with. If for some reason one of the assigned boys did not have his knife with him he was given grief all year about not being trusted with sharp objects or didn't his mommy let him have a knife?

Of course back then the parents knew that their kids had knives since they were given to them as birthday and christmas presents instead of video games and 'gangsta clothes'.

TMB
________
Department Of Fan Operations

Last edited by brdhnt on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total