16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New Guy (long post)
Citori16
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:51 am  Reply with quote

Hey all,

Boy have I been waiting for a site/society like this to come around! I've been perusing some of the posts and am finding lots of interesting stuff.

I started with the 16 ga after reading lots of articles, some by Larry Brown who I believe is the one posting on this message board. If that's the case, thanks Larry!

My first 16's were a couple of Savage guns (Ward's Western and a Central arms). Unfortunately neither was really good enough on it's own and I ended up making one out of 2...kind of nice though as I have a set of 28 barrels and a 21" set that needed some shortening due to an unreparable dent Shocked .

I eventually bought a 16 ga Ithaca Flues in 26"...I love that gun but it has some troubles with the release lever that I am going to resolve one day...for now it is in a safe place.

I decided to buy a White Lightning Citori when the new run came out. I also love that gun, though I wish it was American made. It is my main hunting gun and the Ithaca was my special day gun (Veteran's day, Thanksgiving day) until the release lever started sticking Crying or Very sad .

So now I needed a back up to the Citori, but I felt it should match the dimensions a little more. In comes the Grade 6 Citori...and believe me, my wife always gets that "why did you spend that much money on a gun" Rolling Eyes look everytime she sees it. I use it for clays and plan on hitting some quail with it when I visit the in-laws down in Tallahassee. I guess I would use it up here in the thickets, but I would be lots more careful.

I had a hankering for another SXS, though, and I loved the idea of an Elsie, but couldn't find one to my liking in the price range. I happened to luck into a Crescent New Empire, which looks remarkably like an Elsie due to the sideplates. I like guns with connections and I went to school in Norwich (where the Crescent factory was located) and the Northern half of my wife's family did work for the factory around the time this gun was made, so who knows how that circle is completed. This is now my special day gun.

Due to the Flues, I had to start reloading to keep the pressures down. I have lots of fun with that and I am still trying different recipes. I have almost as much fun playing with that and trying all the new components available. Have been negligent lately, though, due to a move.

I hunt mostly Woodcock, chase Grouse whenever I can Very Happy , recently got into ducks and geese (absolute fun with the Citori!), occasionally pheasants, and once in a blue moon I get to hunt quail southern style...took my first double over my dog on quail, not hard, but momentous just the same.

Sorry for the long post, I really dig the 16 ga.
Looking forward to chatting with all of you.

Chris Boix

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:58 am  Reply with quote

Welcome to the board, Chris. Always good to hear from other 16 gaugers. I've got a White Lightning, too, but there's so much competition from my other guns, that it doesn't get out as often as it would like.

Don't overlook the low-pressure reloading group. Sounds like it's right up your alley.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:50 am  Reply with quote

Welcome Chris! I think you'll find most everyone here helpful and friendly!

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:34 am  Reply with quote

Welcome Chris. I've hunted hard in quail country (and visits to S. Texas which is quail heaven in a good year) and have NEVER taken a double over my dog-that's quite an accomplishment brother! There are some more Flues-o-philes here also.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:21 am  Reply with quote

Hey Rev, considering how you describe the dog, its a wonder you've taken any! Laughing Geez, if the poor dog knew about how you carry on, he'd lead you into a mine field and point out a tank buster for you. Rolling Eyes
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:48 am  Reply with quote

Well not to hijack the post BUT speaking of that rabid little dog-discovered this am that he had managed to dig up about 15 feet of buried LIVE electric line so spent a delightful morning in the desert digging a trench in the red boiler plate stuff that passes for 'soil' out here. Confused He loses his cojones Shocked in 3 wks when we're in Guatemala and better get some religion thereafter or may be heading where bad little dogs go Evil or Very Mad(or at least back to Idaho where he came from-you reading this Clare Kofoed??? Wink)
Part of my quail shooting problem was that I was so ecstatic to find the dog on point AND THOSE SETTERS DOGS SURE ARE PRETTY ON POINT that I was busy digging my camera out to document the miracle about the time the birds broke (lost a couple cameras throwing them at the departing birds also)
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:01 am  Reply with quote

Geez Rev, remind me not to dig up any cables around you. I don't use my cojones much anymore, but I like them fine where they are.

PS: Why Guatemala--don't they have any vets in AZ? Rolling Eyes

PPS: What gauge camera do you prefer for throwing at quail? Question
hunshatt
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:13 pm  Reply with quote

From what I've heard the quail have more to fear from the rev's shutters, than his clunker tire iron.

Excerpt from a film rev did on hunt quail with kat/dog

"nice quail, here little quaily, your uncle rev's got some chicken feed for you, now pose for the camera"...." naw, I only want to shoot with you with my little camera, I've evolved(well maybe not cause I don't belive in Darwinism)maybe I mean matured(thats old guy talk for got old) I just can't find it in myself to kill you poor little quailies(that and my damm tire iron keeps misfireing)
hunshatt
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:14 pm  Reply with quote

yea yea I know nasty pm on it's way Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
tjwalker
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:46 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome, Chris. You must have a good sense of humor to read and join this group. I also have a Flues model in 16gauge. I hope you enjoy The 16 Ga Society as much as the rest of us.
TJC
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:14 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome Chris. Hope you have thick skin around here when it comes to your guns and dogs. There is no mercy shown here about your particular preference. Although all in fun.

Watch out for the Rev and that hunshatt guy. They'll be on ya rather quick. Wink

Highcountry
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Chris, send some of that east coast rain out west so we can have some birds to hunt this coming season.

Hc

Citori16
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:02 am  Reply with quote

TJC, Where I hunt is mostly prickers and thornplums anyway so I got skin thicker than some parts of my body Shocked..I used to hunt with a jockstrap and cup for that but I found jeans work much better Razz ....

Rev, careful about threatening with Idaho, my only experience there last summer reminded me of birddog heaven! Some serious birdage out there! Your dog might just be pointing you in that direction Laughing . Interestingly enough, I was fishing as often as I could after a seminar and usually had my camera...actually got a few shots of quail, grouse and ducks flushing, just to see if I would've fired and missed. Never thought to throw the camera...how much lead should I use? Razz

Bayberry is a pretty English Setter who will crawl through anything to point a woodcock, but truth be told she's a bit of a Taa Taa when it comes to things like pouring rain or blizzards...the nerve of some dogs.. Wink

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I think I'm really gonna like it here...

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:31 am  Reply with quote

the jock and cup thing-PICS ARE NOT NECESSARY Shocked That's probably what made your setter alittle circumspect regarding hunting with you in bad weather-too much class to be seen with a half frozen/half necked man totin' a gun through the woods Laughing And I bet she's happier when you're carrying that neat old Flues.
Try wearing lederhosen like thudddd (those pics we'd like to see).
hunshatt
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

Nother nast pm heading your way