16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  new or used o/u
2tiger
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:32 pm  Reply with quote

hello iam new to 16 ga guns i have a rem 870 16 ga that is my only 16 i bought the gun new and i use it alot but i would like to get a o/u. i was wanting to know what the best o/u is for the money. i was thinking of a browning citori but i dont know. i want a gun that will be fun to shot and give me years of trouble free shooting.thank you all this site is great
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:02 pm  Reply with quote

This'll get the sissy-tori guys going. Might start with this old thread 'best 16 for the money' http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=752
Welcome and BTW I spent 8 happy yrs in Columbia (BA 74'-MD 78')
2tiger
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:08 pm  Reply with quote

thanks for the reply revdoc i found it very helpful.i think i will save for a browning citori. p.s. i live in columbia and my brothers and i own a small business in twon. my father want to school here also 70-74 ag engineering
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:21 pm  Reply with quote

Nasty PM sent re: being made to feel OLD Very Happy GO TIGERS
Highcountry
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:32 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard 2tiger. The Citori would be a great choice. 16gg is one to give you the lowdown on Citoris.

Hc

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:10 am  Reply with quote

I think the overall concensus of opinion has already spoken for me. As far as O/U 16 ga guns go, the Citori is the clear winner. They are well designed, of good weight and balance, versitile, and bull strong. Its really a no brainer. Buy one. then play around with the others if you wish. you'll have your bases covered this way. it you decide a 16 ga pump gun would do, then go for the model 37 Ithaca. Its also light, handy, slick, quick, and strong. Stay with the shorter barrels if its a new one with the choke tubes. a 24 incher will balance and handle like a hinge gun.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:14 am  Reply with quote

If you have a desire for something more of a "classic" OU, look around for a used Merkel 200E. They're a bit more money than a new Citori (but not all that much) and are extremely solid guns. They're also quite light, and offer double triggers--which some people really like and others really hate. There are also some fans of the old Marlin 90 on this board. They're solid guns at a very reasonable price. Ugly as sin though . . . sorry, Rev. Maybe not that ugly.Smile
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:01 am  Reply with quote

Welcome 2tiger. No offense, but I have to say: GO HUSKERS!!! Very Happy

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:09 am  Reply with quote

2tiger: Don't be concerned about Fin. He's actually a very good guy who is afflicted by a medical condition called 'nebrascosis' which causes him to, without warning (or apparent reason), shout our foul unintelligible sounds like 'goooobiiiiiigahredddddd' Twicebrl has it too. Very sad Sad
But Fin does shoot a Sterly Very Happy
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:22 pm  Reply with quote

Rev I have lived here in Kansas for the past 30 years and have pretty much lost my enthusiasm for the BIG RED since the end of the Devany-Osborne dynasty.

But I do shoot Fox guns almost exclusively. In fact I am Fox poor owning 4 (or do they own me) 16 gauge Sterlingworths and one 16 gauge AE skeet w/extra barrel set plus a couple more in the unmentionable gauge.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:29 pm  Reply with quote

Here in Iowa, the Cyclone fans know that the N on the Husker football helmet stands for "Nowledge".
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:46 pm  Reply with quote

Yep Larry you are right and the big red is the only professional sports franchise in the state of Nebraska.
Haiwee
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:00 pm  Reply with quote

I have to admit that I'm afflicted with what the Rev calls "Nebrascosis." I may live in So-Cal, but my family's all originally from what we here call the "Cornchucker" state. Of course, with all the transplants here it is said Los Angeles is the second biggest city in Nebraska -- but only second to Lincoln on a home Saturday.
nossman
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:03 pm  Reply with quote

2tiger wrote:
hello iam new to 16 ga guns i have a rem 870 16 ga that is my only 16 i bought the gun new and i use it alot but i would like to get a o/u.

Deja vu...
I too have an 870 16ga (Wingmaster) that I bought new last December, and have been looking to purchase a nice O/U.
I was pretty set on the Citori, but the F.A.I.R./Rizzini guns kept drawing me back. There are some good deals out there for used guns, if you look/watch. I recently purchased (from Bird Buster) a very slightly used Verona LX501, made by F.A.I.R. It's built on a 16ga frame with 28" barrels, has screw-in chokes, and is in mint condition. It has a silver receiver with nice engraving, very nice wood, and the fit & finish (metal-to-metal & metal-to-wood), are excellent. To me, the gun feels perfect between the hands, shoulders effortlessly, and fits like a glove. I'm down to 6-days left of my 10-day waiting period. If this gun shoots as well as it looks & feels, there will be one less person looking for a Citori.
Welcome, good luck with your hunt, and be patient.
Grousen
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:56 am  Reply with quote

I don't post on this site often, but lurk alot. Pay attention to what 16gaugeguy said in his post, as he is right on the money!

I have a 16 ga Browning Lightning Feather with 28" barrels, and it is probably the best upland gun I have ever shot. Carries like a feather (6.0 pounds on a digital scale), and drops the birds like rocks. I have never shot a gun better on birds. As I wanted it primarily for upland hunting, I went with the feather model. I'm not sure about it as a clays gun, as it is very light and the recoil noticeable when shooting a 100 bird clays course. On live birds I don't feel the recoil, and obviously take alot fewer shots. I also am not sure how it would hold up to high volume shooting, but that was not a concern of mine as I don't use it for clays or skeet.

I recently acquired an Ithaca Model 37R in 16 gauge with a 26" barrel which was made in 1952. I sent it to Les Hovencamp (www.diamondgunsmithing.com) for restoration and could not have been more pleased. This 16 ga model 37 is by far the sweetest swinging and handling pump I have ever had the priviledge to shoot. Over the past 40 years I have owned several pumps: a Mossberg 500, 3 Ithacas (post serial numbers of 885,000), and a Browning BPS all in 12 gauge, as well as a Remington 870 in 20 gauge. None of those can hold a stick to this 16 gauge model 37 I had restored. The slickness of the pump action just blows me away. I have been primarily a O/U guy since the early 70's, but this restored 37 is amazing.

The Browning O/U remains my primary upland gun, but the Ithaca will see some use as well! Being in my mid 50's I have gone through alot of guns, and I think you can't go wrong with either of the two above. Good luck with your decision.