16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  best semi auto
smashdn
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:25 am  Reply with quote

How many 50 year old Benelli semis are out in the field?
spr310
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:34 am  Reply with quote

My choice would be Gas operated #1, Long recoil #2 and inertia operated #3.
Gas operated can handle anything from 7/8oz up to 1 1/2oz. Long recoil 1 oz to 1 1/8oz. Inertia lucky if it will handle 1 oz.
calebg
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:57 am  Reply with quote

I'm waiting on a 16 gauge Remington 58 to come in the mail.

The 6 3/4 pounds this one weighs is about as light as 16 gauge autos come, and the price was about half of what a used 1100 goes for (not to mention a new auto). If you don't need five shots, the 58 might be a good buy.

Also, the 1100s are certainly good guns, but if you want it as a field gun keep an eye on the weight. The later ones were just underbored 12 gauges and consequently were a bit portly.
XVI'er
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:17 pm  Reply with quote

1. Remington Sportsman 16 bore.
2. Remington 1100 Pre-1975 16 bore.
3. Remington 11-48 16 bore.
4. Browning"Sweet 16".
5. Remington Model 11 16 Bore Plain barrel 26"

If your talking 16 bore semis, these are them. Cool In order of preference with one stipulation-#1 for Quail and "tote" hunting, #2 is #1 if doves,waterfowl or targets are the principal targets!

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:19 pm  Reply with quote

I inherited my Father's Stupid Black Eagle 1, and 1952 standard A5, in 12 gauge. I can assure you there has never been a more unreliable gun produced than the first generation Stupid Black Eagle. It has been back to Heckler and Koch (first importer, and gun is so marked) twice, and has NEVER worked reliably with ANY ammunition tried.

Complete turd. They tell me the SBE IIs are better. Good. I'll still never buy one.

If there is an autoloading shotgun more reliable than a standard A5, I have yet to lay eyes on it. They are full of nicely machined parts and seem to work well for decades. You do have to have an understanding of the mechanism adjustments, but, with service to the springs here and there you will have a decent gun for many years to come.

I've owned 1100s, and tend to think of them as disposable. That isn't always a bad thing. But, I'd never spend too much money either buying parts or gunsmithing service for one.

The Super X model 1 CAN be a good gun-as produced by Winchester, it is full of junk parts that need to be replaced with the better quality kit that is sold by Brownell's and others. But, every single example that I've seen is WAY too heavy for more than a few hours of upland hunting-they seem to make better clays type guns. Parts and service are getting to be an issue.

I've come to the conclusion that if a guy can only have one shotgun, a Stalker configured A5 12 gauge with multiple barrels is going to be really hard to beat. Blasphemy, here on 16gauge.com, I understand, but, hard to argue. You can produce your own Stalker version A5 for a lot less than the Browning version by purchasing the stock from Browning, and watching the internet for a Hasting's barrel with chokes.

Best,
Ted

Last edited by Ted Schefelbein on Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

postoak
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:55 pm  Reply with quote

Easy - which design has been proven for over a Hundred years ?
deer hunter
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

I like Ted's way of thimking , except I like the 48 sportsman a little more than a5 . Just the rem looks ... I've had 1100's come and all go except my 28 ... super x's - I agree . they could be souped up when Baumgart was alive , but I think that just died with him ....58's I look at like BP guns - if you are patient enough to do the cleaning , they are great .. my vote is 48 sportsman- a great combo of rem and a5 looks .

skycarp
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

a big thanks to everybody for your replies. the question was posed to me from a relative who is looking looking for an auto to chase big pigs with in california. he was looking for something reliable that if needed he can get of a number of shots in a hurry. thanks again

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:47 pm  Reply with quote

skycarp wrote:
a big thanks to everybody for your replies. the question was posed to me from a relative who is looking looking for an auto to chase big pigs with in california. he was looking for something reliable that if needed he can get of a number of shots in a hurry. thanks again

Pigs? You mean, like, pork? If that were me, shotgun wouldn't be on the duty roster for that trip-'gimme a Ruger carbine autoloader in .44 mag, and keep the shots to less than 50 yards.

But, that's just me....

Best,
Ted

skycarp
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:32 pm  Reply with quote

ted, they are hunting on a military base and they are restricted to shotguns and lead free ammo which means copper slugs or steel #F's. other wise they would be pulling the trigger on a thompson contender chambered in a 357 herret or 7mm tcu.

Willy McCoy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:58 pm  Reply with quote

I started out as a teenager with an A-5, went to Rem 1100s and now shoot a 1952 vintage 11-48. All reliable, but I prefer recoil operated.
NY16ga
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:49 pm  Reply with quote

I grew up in south FL (totally infested with hogs) and I can tell you from experience that a LOT of them have fallen to A5s and 1100s, slugs and buckshot. For hunting them in the swamp I used to carry either a 20 gauge Ithaca 37 with a rifled barrel or a 12 gauge 1100 with double ought buck. Lots of fun and I bet a 16ga semiauto would get the job done nicely. We shot so many when I was a kid my father refused to help me clean them anymore!
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:16 am  Reply with quote

Ted,

You seem to be pretty pissed off about this topic. Not sure if you really even like A-5's from your tone. Maybe you really don't like auto's in general??

Anyway, I agree that an A-5 is a very reliable auto, There are a bunch of new autos that are easily as reliable, easier on the shooter as far as recoil, a little more user friendly on load selection and a whole lot more adjustable from the POV of making it fit.

Probably wouldn't hurt to at least understand what is new out there before you send a new guy off to buy a shotgun design that isn't available as a new shotgun any longer.

If you are talking about the new A-5, not sure you are going to like that one, it uses kinetic energy to cycle it, an aluminum reciever, choke tubes and no doubt stamped parts in the trigger group. That doesn't sound like your kind of shotgun.

BTW, If you really hate that Benelli, send me a PM, maybe we can work out a deal.

Winchester21
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:03 pm  Reply with quote

Best Semiautomatic Shotguns you ask? Original Browning Auto-5's by far.

I may be a bit prejudiced but I've been shooting Auto-5's for 50+ years and have never had a failure in any of the ones I own, and neither have any of my friends with theirs. Auto-5's keep on working with minimal maintenance and with almost any shells you can put into them. I own four of them now:
Sweet 16, 1952 vintage - been shooting it since 1960.
12 Ga, custom stocked, 1928 vintage - been shooting it since 2001.
12 Mag, vintage 1963 - been shooting it since 1974.
20 Mag, vintage 1980 - been shooting it since 2001.

The Sweet 16 has had well over 25,000 rounds thru it without a failure. I've only had to change the springs and bronze friction piece in it - which cost me about $30 at the time. I've got over 5,000 rounds thru the 20mag and haven't had to do anything to it other than clean and lube. I bought the custom stocked 12ga because I liked the stock. Not knowing how many rounds it had thru it I did change the springs and friction piece (about $40). Keep in mind that it was made in 1928 so who knows how many rounds it had thru it before. It was set up as a trap gun so I know it probably had a lot of usage before I bought it.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:36 pm  Reply with quote

Autos have their place. Like I said, a Stalker A5 might just be the Holy Grail of one gun theory. I'll never sell my A5. I don't think it has ever broken, either, except the front wood has the usual crack, and the stock has shrunk from being used, hard, since my Dad purchased it new when he made staff Sargeant,and got a pay raise, in 1952.
I might sell 'ya that Stupid Black Eagle. Might like a trade, too. Smile

See if I can find some photos.

Best,
Ted