16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  best semi auto
rhtx55
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

SWEET 16.......don't shoot one......you'll end up buying it.
skycarp
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:46 pm  Reply with quote

i know somebody with a sweet 16 that never shoots it, just sits in his safe collecting dust. it has a crack in the stock, but what would a be a price to offer the guy. if i remember its in pretty good condition, minus the crack. what would be good fair price to offer the guy for it? and could i find a replacement stock if i did purchase it? i dont know the age but i believe he had it when he was a kid... maybe mid 60's era

rhtx55
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

Condition condition condition,
sight unseen....

low end $750 that's for a shooter that needs a lot of work
pristine ones with vent rib barrels
uncut stocks, no poly chokes
run $1200 & up to $2500
A good close up of all sides of the receiver, fore end, barrel stampings, & stock would help determine value.

IF...... it is "good" condition, completely functional,minor scratches & minor bluing belmished in the " carry "areas, barrel rub marks then I wouldn't take less than a grand for one mine.
The crack you describe is very common, depending on the vintage ( gun serial number) would be if a replacement fore end could be obtained, most are repaired using acraglass, but a complete strip to bare wood & leaching out any build up of years of gun oil would be necessary for the repair to hold & become nearly invisible after a proper refinish.
Lucyland
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:49 pm  Reply with quote

I can't believe no one suggested the Beretta 391 (12 ga.). It will function reliably with anything from 7/8 oz. ultra light loads up to and including 3" heavy magnums. Many (very many) rounds can be shot between cleanings. I have owned several of the semi-autos mentioned and don't think any could stand up to the 391 in a side by side reliabilty comparison.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:20 am  Reply with quote

Lucyland,

Stop making sense, you need to leave out any shotgun made after 1960.Laughing

Very few of the folks on here shoot any amount of ammo. Well under 500 rounds, at least that was the conclusion when I took a poll awhile back. Most guys only hunt so the guns get very little use breaking clay targets.

I like to tease a bit..............

Who would really want to shoot clays and try to be competitive every weekend with a A5 or 11-48?? That would be a tough road.

DanLee
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:28 pm  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37 wrote:
Who would really want to shoot clays and try to be competitive every weekend with a A5 or 11-48??

Me, for one. I commonly shoot skeet with a Polychoked 1951 Sweet Sixteen. It looks like shit, having been carried around in a car trunk for years before I bought it. Very rust pitted and the stock is loose. I make a big point of carrying a jeweler's screwdriver and tightening up all the little set screws just before shooting a round--psyches out the other shooters a bit. I also shoot low-gun.

I estimate I've put 20,000 shells through it in the last four years. Still runs good.

Dan
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:55 pm  Reply with quote

Danlee,

Registered skeet? Competitive scores, as in getting into the shoot-offs?? Wow I have to give you credit. You have to be one of the few.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:56 pm  Reply with quote

skycarp wrote:
no necesarily a 16 ga question but, what would be a very reliable semi auto to buy? any make or model or ga. preferably not overly expensive, but will consider all options. thanks in advance for your input

My vote is also for a clean used Remington 1100. They are pretty easy to find in decent condition, and can be had for reasonable prices if you shop smart. I'd pass on the 16 ga models though unless you can find a pre-1980 fixed choke model in clean condition. The 16 ga 1100 models were and still are all built on the 12 ga frame. They have gotten continually heavier ever since they were introduced in the 1960s, especially the RemChoke models. The latest ones are actually heavier than a comparable 12 ga 1100.

Stick with a good used 12 ga or pick up an LT-20 small frame for a pretty handy small bore. You can't go wrong with any of them. They hold up very well to constant use if kept reasonably clean, are easy to service, and the few parts which do wear out are cheap and easy to find. So are used barrels in almost any length or choke you could want. Good luck.