16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  The affordable shot maker
matt
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:19 pm  Reply with quote

I was interested in getting The Affordable Shot Maker to make my own # 7.5, and # 6 shot. I have a good supply of wheel weights to use. Does anyone have experience with this machine? I just wanted some input before I bought one to see if I would just be wasting my time, or if I should just suffer at nearly $50 a bag at the gun shop.
Doggai
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:56 pm  Reply with quote

I have been making shot for 5 years and I don't know anything about the ASM you refer to. Who makes it or where does one find out about it? You should know that the shotmaker is only the beginning of the expense of making shot. You have to think about a device for melting the wheel weights, like a propane turkey cooker. Then you need a pretty good size cast iron pot to melt them in, and a sturdy ladle to pour the melted lead into the cast iron muffin tins. The shot maker gets pretty hot so you will need a metal top table to sit it on. The shot must drop into some type of coolant and will have to be recirculated to chill down the coolant. The list goes on and on. As you get proficient at shot making you will find additional doodads that will make your work easier and they all cost money.

Like a small cement mixer for graphiting your shot.

Just today I acquired a couple of sorting devices to add to the collection I already have. The prices were OK so I now own them. JF

Browning Double Auto Twelvette
Browning Double Auto Twentyweight
Remington 1100 12 2 barrels
Charles Daly SxS 28