16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  curly coat retrievers
sbs470
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 3:07 am  Reply with quote

When I was growing up .If you were a duck shooter in this country the only dog to have was a curly coated retriever.Like many things ,sadly this breed has seemed to have disapeared.They are a great working dog that will swim all day ,they have a great eye and nose.they love retrieving rabbits and are a true one man dog with and independent and some times arrogant streak or aloofness about them. truly a dog I would love to have in my kennel I feel they would work well on phesants.

QUESTION ?

Have any of our American members ever owned or shot over these dogs ?

good shooting
sbs470
TJC
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:56 am  Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you mean by curly coat retriever but I have 2 Drahthaars that will retrieve anything. They have a curly coat as well as good beards. They point and retrieve. They are used and must be tested for upland as well as ducks.
I don't do any duck hunting but my 2 will retrieve them.

The Drahthaar is alive and well in the US. Not many people know of them and some confused as they may be think a GWP is a Drahthaar. Not so. If I could figure out how to post a pic on this site I would show you The Girls. But my 'puter skills leave a lot to be desired.

hunshatt
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:28 pm  Reply with quote

I wish your shooting skills left someting to be desired, then I wouldn't have to worry about you poaching my bird.....
TJC
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:25 pm  Reply with quote

Hell, you know we don't have to poach anyone's bird where we go. There are so many we each have our own, 75 or so. Very Happy

sbs470
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

To TJC
type up curly coated retrievers on google ,pages and pages of info about curlys
good shooting
sbs470
TJC
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:20 pm  Reply with quote

Wow, now that's an ugly dog. Wink

mrosspa
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

I've never shot over a curly coat retriever, but you can be sure that any dog with a curly coat like that and the poodle were made for the water.

Some people claim the curly coat has some poodle genes, and I wouldn't be suprised. Some of the traits you describe, independence and aloofness is also in poodles. There are curly coat clubs that train where I train, but they aren't common.

At a hunt test for retrievers (not pointers). 200 dogs, It was all labs, goldens, and 2 flat coat retrievers.

I wouldn't choose a dog based on what the majority use, but what serves my needs. There are a whole host of great dogs out there, the curly coats being one of them.
John Molnar
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:56 pm  Reply with quote

TJC wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by curly coat retriever but I have 2 Drahthaars that will retrieve anything. They have a curly coat as well as good beards. They point and retrieve. They are used and must be tested for upland as well as ducks.
I don't do any duck hunting but my 2 will retrieve them.

The Drahthaar is alive and well in the US. Not many people know of them and some confused as they may be think a GWP is a Drahthaar. Not so. If I could figure out how to post a pic on this site I would show you The Girls. But my 'puter skills leave a lot to be desired.

http://images.google.com/images?q=curly+coated+retrievers+&ie=ISO-8859-1&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images
Highcountry
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

sbs470,

I have never seen one in the flesh, but have seen them on TV in dog shows.

fred lauer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:09 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't checked lately, but before I got my Chesapeake,I recall looking over a website on USA curlycoats. I also was curious about them but was unable to find anyone with experience with them. The breeders on the web wanted a good price for their pups as I remember. If you try one, please keep us posted as to what they are like.

sbs470
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:59 am  Reply with quote

Hi fred lauer
I grey up around Curlys .they are great dogs .Sadly I can't own one at this moment in my life but as soon as circumstances change I'll have a pair of them.

good shooting
sbs470
JD
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:20 am  Reply with quote

In south louisiana I knew of only one CC.It was a working dog who did ok in the show ring. It had a bald face and a heavey curly coat. I never did get to see it work, It did not have the good looks of lab or a poodle. I trained a standard poodle to work as a duck dog. good in the water , great eye sight, and very smart.The coat was a pain ,you could not get swampmud out of it with out a all out bath.You would have to bath him after each hunt or he would stink too much to have inside. I even tried oiling him with afrosheen, it helped with the mud but he lost 5 IQ points with each app. (I just could't help my self) .It was fun but I would not do it again because of the coat.

If you are new to working dogs get a lab, or a DD. If you hunt where it is real cold and have train before a chesse.

JD
hunshatt
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:35 am  Reply with quote

Damm, Jd the sheen thing was funny.
Whats a DD??
I know all about superlabs..
Sebascodegan
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:51 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
If you are new to working dogs get a lab, or a DD. If you hunt where it is real cold and have train before a chesse.

Ditto on the Chessie. I have a chesapeake now (had two until a few month's ago when I had to put Nick, my hunting one, down) and they're definately different to train than a lab. They don't forget transgressions <L>. But they're as loyal as anyone could ever want and smart as any lab I've seen. Built for cold water.

I used to "donate" my time as a "birdboy" to a pro trainer who dealt almost exclusively with labs in exchange for getting training suggestions, bird and property access. Labs seemed much more malleable when training. Surprisingly, the pro told me the dogs that gave the most trouble with forcefetch training were goldens! Chessies are often [and correctly] described as "aloof"...they act like they're above it all. They don't tolerate someone not being in charge; if you're not, they'll be glad to take the lead.

Much as I miss my CBR duck hunting dog, current hunting conditions call for an upland dog so I purchased an English Setter a few month's ago as a replacement. I'm still trying to figure him out Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Sebascodegan on Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
JD
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:47 am  Reply with quote

The DD is the German breed clubs version of what the AKC calls a German wirehair pointer. The pups are tested to prove they have the needed prey drive and skills to be and produce good hunting dogs who will retrieve, point and track. If they dont you can 't regester their pups. The akc only require the look like something.

JD