16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  5/8 oz loads
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

I had good results with 7/8 so I dropped to 3/4.Next step to 5/8 didn't work so well--bloopers and dirty barrel were the norm--Oh well now I know how much I can back off and still get a good load.With 16.5 of Unique speeds were still at 1163-1197 and broke clays well-also a few starlings.Used freebie fillers Wink They worked as good as the store bought ones Twisted Evil These loads cycled thru my 1100 with no problems Smile
mdoerner
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

I wonder if Hodgdon Clays would work better with such a light payload.

Mike Doerner
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:29 pm  Reply with quote

Mike,I think I hit absolute bottom.Unique filled the case well ,the SP16 did it's joband the fillers worked but the bottom line was lack of power/pressure to due a decent job.I have worked with several powders and have came to the same results---There comes a breaking point where the load/gauge becomes useless or for lack of a better term falls apart and we should just go to next smallest gauge-I will make a post on the 16 Ga Society directly.However I have had excellent reults with a 3/4 oz load on the skeet field.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:54 pm  Reply with quote

Personally, I stick with 7/8. Wheat farmers would be happy if I went to 3/4 because I'd use more of their "puffed" product.Smile However, I have heard of good results with 3/4. Not surprised anything less causes problems, although I wonder if it might not work in a 2 1/2" hull. In a 2 3/4" 16, that's not much shot in a whole lot of space.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:31 pm  Reply with quote

I've had very good results with a 16 ga. 5/8 oz load I cobbled up for fun targets and stocked quail. Try this:

14-15 grains of Red Dot or 700X in a Remington GL/SP hull, with an R16 wad with three 28 ga, .135" nitro card wads in the cup under the shot. there should be little to no wad pressure exerted. Just seat the wad all the way down on the pwder and no more. Its important not to compress either the plastic or the card wads. Any mild primer will do fine. I use a Remington STS. Set a deeper than normal crimp set, about 1/16th inch and a goodly taper. This little added resistance at ignition will help with initial pressure and will give a nice clean burn. I found the 700X marginally cleaner than the RD but both were very good. Velocities will be above 1200 FPS and need to be. Pressures will still be under 9000 psi.

These loads will work best if you do not substitute any other hull or wad. The R16, card wads under the shot, and the SP hull work perfectly together for these little stingers. don't substitute any componant or filler. Put them together just as I've written.

I use #9 for snipe, rail, or skeet. #8.5 will do for stocked quail. I would stick with #8 for wild quail and load a full 15 grains of powder to ensure as hard a hit as possible. The shot string is super short. I'd use the widest choke I have. These loads will drop any quail sized bird out to 25 yards like lightning, especially snipe. They also won't puree the birds either. However, patterns deteriorate pretty quickly past this distance, so don't push the load beyond there.

Try them out. I will not guarentee they will cycle a gas autoloader. I don't own one. However they should do well in any modern hinge gun or pump.