16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Cabela's today
TJC
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:16 pm  Reply with quote

Well the wifey had to work today so I wondered out to Hamburg, Pa to Cabela's. I needed a few things and had a $110 in gift cards plus a little spare jingle etc. Picked up what I needed to get, some that I wanted to get and then checked out the 16 ga ammo situation since that is where I usually get my Fiocchi GP rounds. Well they had a bunch of GP on the shelf today. I picked up 4 more boxes for next year.
Then I noticed they had Estate 16 ga. in #8 shot. Wow, not a normal thing for there. So I figured I would get a couple of cases for sporting clays. They weren't marked but the 12's and 20's were $32.99 a case. I asked a sales person if the 16's were the same price. He checked.
How about $52.99 a case for the 16 ga. I know most companies get a couple of bucks more for the 16 ga but $20 more, especially on a case price? I thanked him and said no thanks, Remington Game Loads at around $34 a case in 7.5's will do fine from Dick's.

Couldn't believe the difference they wanted just because they were 16's. Mad

OK, I'm better now.

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 2:55 pm  Reply with quote

Cabela's may be the "Worlds Foremost Outfitter" but they ain't cheap, howevewr, $20.00 a flat more for 16 guage is highway robbery.

TCJ please post the original on Gunshop and see if you get a response. There are a couple of Cabela Manager that may weigh in on their pricing policies.

Until Cabela's becomes competitive K Mart and Dicks is going to get my business.
TJC
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 3:10 pm  Reply with quote

TB, not familiar with Gunshop and my 'puter skills are limited. If you can copy it there, feel free. Or give me step by step directions. Confused

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 3:39 pm  Reply with quote

Just another case of the stores trying to rip us 16 er's off Evil or Very Mad It pays to know current prices/inventory of other stores Wink
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 3:46 pm  Reply with quote

TJC check your PMs
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 4:21 pm  Reply with quote

Not familiar with Dick's. Is that local to you guys or is it online?
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 4:39 pm  Reply with quote

Just today my wife and I visited the Big R store in Warsaw, IN. I bought several boxes of ammo: Win. 16 ga. Super X Game Loads in #8 for $3.99/box, Estate .410 #9's for $6.29/box and PMC 12 ga. target loads, on sale: 3 dr. 1 oz. #8's for $2.99/box. This store is currently among the most reasonable for shotgun shells in the entire northern Indiana area....

fin2feather
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:31 pm  Reply with quote

Bring Big R to Kansas! WE WANT BIG R! WE WANT BIG R!!

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:01 pm  Reply with quote

Wolfchief could smell a bargain 30 miles away Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:21 pm  Reply with quote

TJC: Bummer brother but thanks for letting us know
662: Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I think Dick's, Sports Authority, and Gart Bros. are one and the same. Don't forget about our sharptail hunt to western Neb. fall/07' Very Happy
Fin: you want the Big Red to annex Kansas Question Should improve the GPA in Lincoln and the football in Lawrence Wink
bigric
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:42 pm  Reply with quote

If Sports Authority and Dicks are the same company, then they aren't using the same price schedules across their stores. SA has some very inflated ammo prices and their 16 ga selection is pretty much nothing. At least the Pflugerville store.
3DocPop
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:13 am  Reply with quote

Sports Authority in CA does not carry anything GUN Crying or Very sad About the only chain stores in my home town (Merced CA) with ammo are Big 5 and WalMart. 16 ammo always hit or miss there.

Found some Federal 1oz game load for $5.99 box at a small one store outlet (shot size did not matter) about 75 miles north. And some Kent #6 for $8.99 at the auto parts/hunting/fishing store about 50 miles north. Talked to the owner there, and he is willing to special order. Will have to see about the price once we get a little closer to Fall. He also told me that he is getting more call for 16 ammo all the time Smile

It seems we pay anywhere from $1.50 to $3.00 more per box for 16 here, but 12 and 20 seem to be about the same.
emiller
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:16 am  Reply with quote

I believe that you will find that the estate 16s use a better quality hull than will be found on the 12s and 20s. They use the same hulls that federal uses for their 16 g game loads (brass heads). Cabela's isn't jacking up the price on them.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:19 am  Reply with quote

Looks like bigric is correct. Did a little internet research and Dick's is independent (but bought out Galyans 2-3 yrs ago) and is mostly in the eastern US. Sports Authority, Sportsmart, and Gart Sports are the same company and mostly western US. Sportsman's Warehouse is also independent, started in Utah and is rapidly explanding to the midwest and south. (Fin-one appears to be coming to Wichita) Gander Mtn is independent, started in Wisc. and expanding in the midwest. All this probably explains why we're losing the small independent gun shops Sad
One would think all this competition would do something GOOD about gun/ammo prices and availability Confused
tjwalker
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:13 am  Reply with quote

The Cabela's in Buda, Texas has the same pricing on Estate 16's. They had the 20's and 12's on sale, but no mark downs on the 16's. I mentioned this to one of the clerks and they marked down a case 10%. Not nearly as good as the sale price, but they just didn't say, "Too bad."