16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Cabela's today
TJC
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:34 am  Reply with quote

emiller wrote:
I believe that you will find that the estate 16s use a better quality hull than will be found on the 12s and 20s. They use the same hulls that federal uses for their 16 g game loads (brass heads). Cabela's isn't jacking up the price on them.

I don't buy it. Unless you can show me documentation, I doubt it. Every ammo co. jacks the price up like stated above, about $1.50-3.00. I really doubt they are ALL using better hulls. The truth is they don't produce nearly as many 16's as 12's and 20's and add a premium price for the trouble of switching over production lines. Mad

Remington is the only one that sells their Game Load at a reasonable price. At least I've found it to be reasonable through Dick's here in NJ. Only problem I have is they only have 6's and 7.5's available, when they have it.

nossman
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

3DocPop wrote:
Sports Authority in CA does not carry anything GUN Crying or Very sad About the only chain stores in my home town (Merced CA) with ammo are Big 5 and WalMart. 16 ammo always hit or miss there.

Found some Federal 1oz game load for $5.99 box at a small one store outlet (shot size did not matter) about 75 miles north. And some Kent #6 for $8.99 at the auto parts/hunting/fishing store about 50 miles north. Talked to the owner there, and he is willing to special order. Will have to see about the price once we get a little closer to Fall. He also told me that he is getting more call for 16 ammo all the time Smile

It seems we pay anywhere from $1.50 to $3.00 more per box for 16 here, but 12 and 20 seem to be about the same.

I hear you about the chain stores here in CA. Don't overlook Bass Pro. I recently ordered a case of Remington's Game Load 1oz. #8. After shipping, the cost per box came to $5.19, which is less than the sale price (before taxes) that I was getting locally, this winter.
bigric
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:27 pm  Reply with quote

You guys are really getting hammered on prices. I'm getting Remington for $4.27 and Federal for $4.70 at Academy. Walmart wants $5.99 IIRC for Winchester, and I can get Rio at a local gunshop for $4.99.
emiller
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:41 am  Reply with quote

What kind of documentation do you need? Just open a box and look at them. They are the same purple hulls as the Federals.

Its the ammo company not Cabelas to blame anyway. Cabelas sells 16g Reminton express, Gamebores, Winchesters, and golden pheasants all for the same price as the 12s and 20s.
TJC
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:42 am  Reply with quote

Just because they are the same color doesn't mean they are the same. As far as that goes, why would they use different hulls for one ga.? Call it my doubting nature after 30 yrs in my work but something doesn't add up with that explanation.

As far as all the other ammo being the same, not true. They had some that was more than the same in different ga's. Don't remember which ones as I looked at a bunch of it.
Plain and simple it's a rip off if you want 16 ga. ammo. Evil or Very Mad

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:52 am  Reply with quote

Cmon guys . . . stop and think a minute here. Even if Estate uses a different (cheaper) hull for 16's, just like they do for 12's and 20's, why is it a ripoff to charge more? Check out the prices for AA 12's, 20's, 28's, 410's--and tell me that you can find the small bores, on a regular basis, for the same price as the 12's and 20's. The difference, guys, is VOLUME. Fewer 28's, 410's, and 16's, so they cost more--most of the time, except when you happen to catch them on sale (when we're all smart enough to "load up")--than the 12's and 20's. Simple as that.
3DocPop
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:10 am  Reply with quote

The one advantage to the price and availability of 16 ga ammo is that it keeps me looking for, and getting acquainted with, different sporting goods stores Very Happy

While we all would prefer to pay under $4 per box for shells, and while I get envious of the prices I see OUT of CA, that is not primary reason we shoot 16's. If cheap was the driving force, we would all shoot 12ga 870 Express or Mossberg Shocked Rolling Eyes

Echoing Nossman's post, I purchased Rem game loads for $3.69/box, plus shipping from Bass Pro.
budrichard
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:44 am  Reply with quote

Dick's in Wisconsin! Needed a hand truck to cart the ammo i purchased on sale from them including 16 gauge.-Dick
emiller
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:07 pm  Reply with quote

Larry is correct. TJC might have noted that estate .410s and 28s ran 60 some a case. And being that Federal and Estate are part of the same company, it would only make sense that they use the same hulls for 16g shells. (a coworker uses both interchangably for his reloading)
Square Load
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:46 pm  Reply with quote

I have some Estate and Federal Game Loads, both loaded and empty hulls, and agree with emiller that they are the same exact hull except for the name printed on the hull. They look exactly the same, the plastic is the same thickness, the rims are identical right down to the "16 ga./ Made in USA" on the headstamp. The rims are both brass washed steel according to my magnet. They also look like they have the same primer. I think the only difference is in the powder and shot. The Federal box says their loads have hard shot, I doubt the Estates do. I know the powder is different because the Estates' powder has the most putrid burnt powder smell I have ever smelled and the Federals don't. Sure would like to know what powder Estate puts in those shells so I never make the mistake of buying some. I'm sure (and hope) it is a non canister powder.

Dennis
TJC
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:07 pm  Reply with quote

So if Fed and Estate are the same companies, does Fed make the hulls for the 12 and 20 Estate shells also? Along the same lines, if it is the same hull as the Fed, then they are making a lot more of them and therefore, should be cheaper.

I agree and said above, I believe it is a matter of less 16's being made and they are charging a premium for having to shut down production on the other ga's. But if they are making all these hulls for Fed and Estate, then they don't need to charge a premium of $20 more a case. They do it because of the limited options for ammo in comparison and know that people will pay the $$.

Just gets me worked up when I see crap like this that doesn't have to be.

Enough on the whole subject.

Highcountry
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

In the Denver area, Garts is being rebadged to Sports Authority and from what I have seen, they have an anemic selection of ammo and zero in 16 ga. I didn't see any 16 ga at the big Dicks at the mall. Gander had some 16s, Fiocchi I believe, but nothing less than $6/box. Sportsmans Warehouse has a great selection of shotshells but damn little in 16. Bass Pro had some Super X in 16.

Pretty sorry situation here in the Denver area unless someone knows different - - if so, please let me know. Unfortunately, Colorado is a fur state not a feather state and the state manages upland game that way Crying or Very sad , sending us out to KS, NE, SD, etc.

Hc

Square Load
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:21 pm  Reply with quote

One thing I forgot to mention earlier. On both the Federal and Estate boxes it says made in Anoka, Minn. I doubt there is more than one ammo mfg. in Anoka.

Dennis
chilly460
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:08 am  Reply with quote

Hmm, that's interesting. I did pick up a flat of the Estate 16ga in #8 for $47 a week and a half ago at the Hamburg, PA Cabela's store. To be honest, I haven't even looked at a shell as I've been shooting up a bunch of Remington I had already.

If the hull is the same as the Federal, is this the "Hi-Power" hull listed on Hodgdon's site?? I just picked up a MEC 600 and have some SP16 wads and would like to try a 1oz load in the Remington hulls, and perhaps a 1 1/8oz load in the Estate hull. My rationale is that Remington hull is a bit more durable, and I'd only use the Estates once as a hunting reload.
bigric
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:23 am  Reply with quote

chilly460 wrote:
If the hull is the same as the Federal, is this the "Hi-Power" hull listed on Hodgdon's site?? I just picked up a MEC 600 and have some SP16 wads and would like to try a 1oz load in the Remington hulls, and perhaps a 1 1/8oz load in the Estate hull. My rationale is that Remington hull is a bit more durable, and I'd only use the Estates once as a hunting reload.

The hulls the same as the Federal, as stated above. I'm getting more reloads out of my Federal hulls than I am out of my Remingtons, but your mileage may vary.