16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  snap caps
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:11 am  Reply with quote

I found a way to make snap caps that seems to work pretty well. Take an empty hull, resize the brass and punch out the primer. Cut the rubber eraser off a brand new common wooden pencil. It will fit very tightly into the primer pocket. I use a drop of Gorilla glue to hold the eraser in place. Then I put several drops of glue inside the hull to completely seal the primer pocket. I then pop in a wad and fill it w/ shot and crimp it down just like reloading a shell. It works for me and my guns.
XVI

TJC
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:43 pm  Reply with quote

Very good thinking but how long does the eraser last getting hit by the firing pin?

hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:26 pm  Reply with quote

I 've heard pros and cons with this idea---Cost is nil but the eraser does not fully absorb the pin impact--snap caps have a much harder material--some folks claim nothing is better than the eraser idea.I will spend the money on REAL caps IMO Wink
Sebascodegan
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:34 pm  Reply with quote

When I did a lot of dry shooting with my .45, I used DOW clear silicon caulk in the primer hole. Seemed to work pretty well and I'd expect it would work for a shotgun shell as well. Pretty durable stuff.
budrichard
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:46 am  Reply with quote

NEVER, EVER make snap caps or dummy ammunition out of real ammunition. You are setting yourself up for an accident. Purchase snap caps or orange dummy rounds. -Dick
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:33 am  Reply with quote

bud,
I see your point. I never thought of that. Moderator, delete this post.
XVI

Scolari
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:09 am  Reply with quote

Your interest in snap caps brings up a story. After my father died I took possesion of his old LC Smith whick belonged to my grandfather. I could never shoot it well so I gave it to my brother-in-law. He somehow ran the serial number and found it was made in 1893. This is not a hammer gun by the way. He was over this weekend and I mentioned using snap caps. He asked why and I told him I think it is supposed to save the springs. He quickly pointed out that no one has ever used snap caps with the old LC and he still uses it with no problems. Fires every time. That made me wonder if caps are really needed.
Any thoughts?
Sebascodegan
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

Speaking again from pistol experience not shotgun, when I frequented the range the question of the necessity of using snap caps came up a lot. Aside from relieving spring tension, it was said there can be a problem with peening as the firing pin slammed home unsupported and also breakage of the firing pin.

Of course the only 1st hand experience I've heard of a problem was the peening, and that was on a .22 rifle (peening the edge of the chamber), so take that for what it's worth <G>.

Personally, I use snap caps any time I dry fire because it's cheap insurance and hunting related gadgets are fun to collect anyway.
Citori16
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:29 pm  Reply with quote

I like using them because I like to see the look on other people's faces (mostly those who don't know what they are) when I open the gun and pull them out of the extractors....or when I let them fly out from the ejectors.

Controlled panic, subdued admonition and utter disbelief makes for a great facial expression Twisted Evil

Not sure if they really work, sounds good in theory. My hunting percentage goes up a bunch when I dry fire at the targets in my living room the week before the opener. I would hate to find out they were needed and I didn't use them.

Sebascodegan
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:56 pm  Reply with quote

<<the look on other people's faces (mostly those who don't know what they are) when I open the gun >>

I hadn't thought about that, but you're exactly right.... I've seen the look of incredulous / fear on the uninitiated's faces.

Then I have to carefully explain they're dummies; the snap-caps that is ....and maybe the folks that need the explaining to. Shocked
MGF
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:38 pm  Reply with quote

If I open one of my guns around non-gun people, I usually tell them that two things that look like shotgun shells are going to come out, that they're not shells and what they're for.

Unless, of course, I just want to snug up their shorts a bit. Then I just catch 'em as they come out and say, "Huh, thought I'd unloaded that one." Razz