16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  federal high velocity game loads
granitecityminnesota
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:40 pm  Reply with quote

FYI-I found a case of 16 gauge federal 7/8 oz. high velocity 7 1/2 shot loads at the Sportsmans Warehouse for $3.79/box for case price. This is the best price I have found on game loads to play with in my citorri as I dont reload. This store is in St.Cloud Mn. I am not sure where they have other stores.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:27 pm  Reply with quote

Was there a velocity quoted on the box?Most of the companies like to play the speed game by dropping the shot charge at least 1/8 oz-depending on the gauge Evil or Very Mad I can run 1 1/4 oz in the 16 at 1200fps.I realize you don't load your own--now would be a good time to think about starting.If you need hunting shells your money would be quickly returned on your investment.On regular loads I figure about a $1.50 per box savings.With certain hunting loads you could save yourself ten bucks a box and tailor them to your specific need.
nutcase
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:48 pm  Reply with quote

I bought some last week. Didn't notice when I bought them. It says 1400 fps on the side of the box.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:24 am  Reply with quote

Nutcase, are these newly manufactured loads?. If so, that is darned good news. At least we now have one domestic ammo company offering a 7/8 ounce 16 ga load. Do you have a shell type I.D. number from the box?

Now, all they have to do is drop the velocity to 1200 fps or under and we will have a fine recreational load. That is a very short step to what we really need. Perhaps someone at Federal or alliant has been monitoring this site. If so, thank you from the folks here whoever you are. Now just back them down a bit and you'll have them just about perfect for small birds and targets.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:36 am  Reply with quote

Bro. Larry told us about these early May:
http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1197
WHY did they think 1400 fps was a good idea??? Confused
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:41 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Now, all they have to do is drop the velocity to 1200 fps or under and we will have a fine recreational load. That is a very short step to what we really need. Perhaps someone at Federal or alliant has been monitoring this site. If so, thank you from the folks here whoever you are. Now just back them down a bit and you'll have them just about perfect for small birds and targets.

Getting Federal to back these down to 1150-1200 fps would be well worth our effort. I would think they'd have a lot of interest in a load like that. I know I'd be buying them by the cases.

On the other hand, I won't even bother to try a 1400 fps load in my light 16 gauge.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:05 am  Reply with quote

What Dave said Exclamation
nutcase
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:49 am  Reply with quote

16guageguy

As revdocdrew referred to the previous post these are new shells. I bought them at Sportsman's Warehouse.

I didn't read the fine print when I bought these. I cringed when looked at the box after I got home and thought about shooting these in a 6 1/4 lb. gun.
granitecityminnesota
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:23 pm  Reply with quote

Yes I am working on getting enough empties to make it work buying a reloader. They were indeed 1400 fps and claim to be extra hard shot. My browning is around 6lbs 10 oz so it should suck up some of their juice. The load number is HVG16 7.5 It is so hard to find cheap shells here especially in anything smaller then 6 shot I bought the only case they had. I have checked at the sportsmans warehouse a few other times but they never had these on the shelf.
Foursquare
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:36 am  Reply with quote

This load doesn't yet appear on Federal's website. Nor on Graf's. We don't have Sportsman's Whorehouse down here so I'm hoping Graf will carry it.
I'd like to try it. Should be a dove killing laser beam! Very Happy

Pete
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:07 am  Reply with quote

Revdoc wrote:

Bro. Larry told us about these early May:
http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1197
WHY did they think 1400 fps was a good idea???

How I missed this one is beyond me, but miss it i did. Anyway, I got right on the 'puter and emailed Federal a solid "Attaboy" and also urged them to back them down to 1150-1200 fps. I included all the pertinant info like gun weight and recoil etc, etc. Now if everyone interested would do the same, we might get a positive reaction from the "Purple Phlirp". Laughing
Dongotto
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:06 am  Reply with quote

What we should also ask federal to do is bring back the walmart loads they sold a few years ago. In southwest missouri I could go to walmart and buy federal 1 1/8, 7 1/2, 1185fps hard shot. As luck would have it a little over a year ago I went in and bought 20 boxes. I had no idea that would be the end. I don't know if you guys had them in other states but they were really good upland loads for $3.87 a box.

Jason

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:42 am  Reply with quote

Don, that is not Federal's call. Wally World stopped stocking Federal 16 ga. standard game loads over 4 years ago. They now stock Remington High Velocity 1-1/8 ounce game loads on a limited basis in some stores at nearly $8 per box. Asking WW to restock Federal loads is like trying to have a meaningful exchange with a brick. Rolling Eyes

However, Dick's Sporting goods carries the Remington GL 1 ounce loads very reasonably...even better when they have a promotional sale.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:06 pm  Reply with quote

What Wally stocks depends on where you are. Where I am, they stock mostly Winchester promotional loads, both Win and Rem target and hunting loads--although seldom any 16ga hunting loads. They do have Win 1 oz 16's, sporadically, but the price has gone up quite a bit. Shop around--always wise for the 16ga fan.

I haven't talked to the guys at Federal lately. Probably need to do that. Not sure what their thought was behind that high velocity 7/8 oz load--maybe something for 16ga target shooters? Passed out a few of those to guys at a shoot in NE several weeks ago, and most thought they were OK, but certainly no pussycat where recoil is concerned.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:22 pm  Reply with quote

Interesting-WalMarts out here have the AA and STS target loads and Federal and Winchester 12g promo stuff AND stock the 16g Federal (and only Federal) Game Shok 1 oz, 1165 fps, in 6, 71/2, and 8s for under $5/box (but appear to only have about 1 case of each) Haven't yet seen the 7/8 oz HiVelocity stuff anywhere (and have no intention of trying them).
BigK (K-Mart) and Dick's stock only Winchester. I haven't seen ANY Remington 16s anywhere.