16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  State to live
mrosspa
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:30 pm  Reply with quote

The only place I've ever hunted upland game is California or Iowa. This question is a bit of a rehash of a post from a fellow from Australia.

My wife is wondering about moving to anotheer state, and I'm lucky to have a profession that would let me live in any state.

From the perspective of upland game, waterfowling, and dog training, do any of you have an opinion?

While I don't mind snow, it makes it tough on training dogs.

Thanks!
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

Pheasant, quail, prarie chicken, abundant waterfowl (Cheyenne bottoms, Quivira, Marais des Cygnes, Kirwin), trophy whitetail, elk at Ft. Riley, hunting & shooting sports friendly environment, dog men and dog trainers everywhere-only in KANSAS.
(and concealed carry finally passed Very Happy)
Honestly, there ain't a whole lot 'special' about Kansas except the sky and the prairie and the people, but in a good year there is almost no where else in the country where you can have outstanding pheasant, quail, waterfowl, and deer hunting ALL in the same county and on the same day(N. central)
Grouser
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:45 pm  Reply with quote

It's a pretty difficult question...one that I've pondered over for the last 3 beers and still couldn't come up with an entertaining resoponse. Priority of selecting a location as follows:

1) Make sure wife is happy (box birds are available everywhere, much cheaper then an ex-wife).

2) Locate yourself in a woodcock flyway (on average, the most consistent upland bird hunting)

3) Driving distance to the most northern location for wild quail (bustin' a covey is still a ball unless you're hunting with Dick Cheney...after a beer!)

4) Must be within 2 hours of wild pheasant (at least enough hunts a year for the photo op with the dogs).

5) Buy two places with the SoCal funds, one has to be the "grouse lodge" and who cares about the other location. I am biased, but I think I can still remember every grouse I've missed in the last 25 years!

Good Luck, I hope I am in the same situation in about 5 years.
TJC
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:04 am  Reply with quote

Grouser wrote:
Good Luck, I hope I am in the same situation in about 5 years.

I'm getting there now. I want to leave this state within the next 5 yrs and would not be opposed to buying land now. But where is the question. One consideration I'm looking at is any state that doesn't tax my pension. Pa, Tenn, N Carolina are but a couple. None are real good pheasant states with Pa being the best.

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:05 pm  Reply with quote

Grouser hit it on the head-hope he was enjoying a real brew-also keep in mind some states are more gun friendly than others Wink
Citori16
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

Alls I know is stay away from Connecticut.... Sad

tjwalker
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:15 pm  Reply with quote

Texas. No state taxes, gun friendly, lots of birds, generous bag limits and long seasons. Most land is leased for hunting, but there are many state sites open to hunt for free or a very small fee. Day hunting is reasonable for quail, dove, and ducks/geese. Lots of dog trainers here year round and some here during the winter months for the same reason you listed, very little snow. Start with doves in September, quail late October through February, spring turkey for a month in April or early May. Fish all summer and start over! Some pheasants in the panhandle. Lots of friendly people, despite what Rev says about Texans taking some getting used to. Laughing
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

Texas is a wonderful state-if only everybody that lived there were KANSANS. Very Happy
(mrosspa-PM me brother and I'll fill you in about Texans Wink)
driggy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:28 am  Reply with quote

TJC, Add SD to the states without income tax.
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:49 am  Reply with quote

Thanks driggy. It's one I was thinking of if for no other reason, the pheasant hunting. Very Happy Myself and my Drahthaars, known affectionately as The Girls, would be happy for sure. Not sure about the wife though. Even though there would be plenty of room for a couple of horses, it would be a long way away from family which might not wash with her.
Dang I'll miss her. Very Happy

311A 16ga
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:29 am  Reply with quote

Oregon has no sales taxes, a ceiling on state income taxes (hence desparate under funding of Ed system), cannot tax fed retirements (out of state and private???). A few birds, big game (mostly by tag application) and lots of open areas to roam (state and fed lands).