16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Who Has the last model 21?
Prairie Pat
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:48 pm  Reply with quote

Hi all.....I was at the Wichita GM the other day and happened to
notice a win model 21 in the glass case.
When I first saw it the tag read "last model 21 out of the ..."
later I noticed that the tag had been changed to
"last 12 gauge mod 21....".
So, who really has the last model 21 to come out of the
now closed plant?

I really wasnt all that impressed with (what I could see of) it.
It looked kind of...well, wrong, to me. The raised vent rib, and the
black finish especially turned me off completely. Didnt see
any engraving.

Oh well, What do you expect for $28000?

pat
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:19 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Pat,

I could be wrong, but I THINK it says the last one to come out of the custom shop. As I recall it was pretty heavily engraved; can't tell you the pattern or any images, although I think it had game birds and maybe dogs? I agree on the finish: looked like flat black spray paint Shocked ! Also agree that the vent rib looked really out of place on that gun IMHO. I was gonna pop for it, but I only had 27 grand left on my Discover Very Happy ! Plus, it IS a 12ga!

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:35 pm  Reply with quote

Raised vent rib, flat spray paint looking flat black finish; that sounds more like my Savage Model BSE!
XVI Laughing

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

And y'all didn't whip out the cash???????I would like to own a 42 skeet model--all original and a companion I/C choked 28 inch M12 16 and of course a mod and full choke would round out the collection for a lot less than 28 grand.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

Just the all-original 28 ga. model 12 would be enough for me; and I'd settle for a 26" field grade plain barrel in IC choke; 99% condition while I'm dreaming....

MGF
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:33 pm  Reply with quote

I'm sure I'll be struck dead, haunted by the ghost of Jack O'Connor or branded a no-taste philistine , but the 21s have never moved me.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:49 am  Reply with quote

Well, I admit I would like to own a Model 21. If it were in great original condition, and a 28" barreled 16 ga. in IC/Mod, I'd even swap my Merkel and pay some boot....

Brad6260
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:08 pm  Reply with quote

Wolfchief,

In the Holy moly dept. !
Add mod/full to the model 21 you described and you have the M-21 I have been searching high and low for the better part of a year and a half.

The fun part is that an all original real deal unmessed with gun with typical wear on it if found is running around 10-12k. Ouch!

Regards,
Brad
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:41 pm  Reply with quote

In the 'what an idiot and if I knew then what I know now' category: about 10 yrs ago I was at a gun show in KC and a dealer had 2 M-21s with probably aftermarket GA style engraving&gold, a 12 and a 20, and wanted $5000 for the two guns AND would 'throw in' a very early 2 tigger 12g M-21 for another $1000. Embarassed
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:32 pm  Reply with quote

That sounds great Drew, but 10 years ago I could not have come up w/ $500 much less $5000.
XVI

Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:14 pm  Reply with quote

Those of us who crave the Model 21 had better be getting after it, particularly those who want a 20 ga. I try to be a saver and the price for a nice 21 in 20 ga. is rising faster than that of a 16, and the 16's prices are escalating faster than my savings....

Citori16
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

MGF wrote:
I'm sure I'll be struck dead, haunted by the ghost of Jack O'Connor or branded a no-taste philistine , but the 21s have never moved me.

Me neither, they just look butt ugly to me, as well as the 24...would like to hear how they handle from someone who shoots them though...I heard they were like tanks, but I'm afraid to touch one and find out differently...might cost me my marriage Shocked

Highcountry
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:51 pm  Reply with quote

Never had a M21, in fact, I never even handled one. But I did have a M12 28ga skeet model, although I sold it about 10 yrs ago. I still have a nice M42 skeet model with some pretty nice wood. A M21 in 16ga in 28" looks to be a pretty nifty gun, but like Wolfchief, the escalation rate in much higher than my investment growth. Down the road, I might be able to swing a Sterlingworth. For now, I will just have to stick with my lazer-guided Merkel 1620. Laughing

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:03 am  Reply with quote

The big claim to fame of the model 21 was that strengthwise, it was supposed to be a big improvement on the other existing domestic SxS guns. Plus, it was designed to be easier to put back on face once it did loosen up some. Whinchester built them to handle the 3" magnums they were pushing. The price for the added strength is weight and a sacrifice of some of the traditional lines of a domestic SxS. I always felt the receiver looked ackward and a bit too long for a trim SxS.

Frankly, I prefer my Beretta 409 16 ga. Its a much handsomer gun at a mere fraction of the cost and better handling to boot. The model 21 guns are extremely overpriced in my book. They never were that popular until they stopped making them as a production gun. Jack O'Conner was a knowledgable man on rifles. His opinion about shotguns left sometime to be desired IMO.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:55 am  Reply with quote

I've owned a couple of them. First one was a pretty nice little 20ga that had been restocked. Second was a 16 with 30" barrels. Both were early, DT/extractor guns. I thought the 16 might make a nice pheasant gun, but it was on the heavy side with those long barrels. The 20 handled pretty well, but it was a 20.

A 12 in that configuration (DT/extractor) might be just about the only 21 left at anything like a reasonable price. Of course all the American "classic" sxs are going up, and there were fewer 21's made (only about 30,000 as production models) than any of the others. And they say "Winchester".