16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Five for five grouse gun
walt lister
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:53 pm  Reply with quote

For those who haven't seen this, it's interesting and reflects my feelings about the 16ga Win #12.

www.winrest.com/fiveforfive.html

TJC
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:38 am  Reply with quote

Good looking model 12.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:36 am  Reply with quote

Too bad its not an Ithaca model 37 16 ga.. Rolling Eyes Laughing
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:38 am  Reply with quote

I have 3 Model 12's. Two 16's and a 28. I have had Model 37's, but for some reason, they just don't fell right and balance for me the same way a Model 12 does and I sold them. Compare the resale value of the Model 12 to the Ithaca 37!
XVI

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:08 am  Reply with quote

Compare the purchase price of a 37 to a 12. I can get a good clean used 37 for 1/2 the price of a comparable 12. If you could find an unfired 16 ga model 12 ( as new) you would have to still pay twice the price of a new model 37. Plus, the 37 is slightly lighter, has a more compact receiver, has a shorter, slicker, and quicker stroke, bottom ejection, and is better balanced for upland work. Value for value and feature for feature, the 37 is a better deal all around. For the model 12, you are paying mostly for the name. I'll take the 37 every time.
walt lister
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:50 am  Reply with quote

I believe the market has decided which is the more desireable gun. Wink

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:10 am  Reply with quote

yes, and which is the better value too. Laughing
MGF
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:08 pm  Reply with quote

Hey, sometimes it's not about the market. What's a fencepost for one guy is a dream gun for another. What's a beauty to one is a hideous beast to the next.

I've had one Model 12 ... set up for trap and custom stocked by Joseph Anton (I think that's the guy's name). I thought the thing was pretty as can be, but couldn't shoot it worth a darn. Probably a matter of fit, plus I just prefer shooting an O/U.

Bought it for $750, sold it for $750. Everyone happy.

Personally, I've seen some pump guns I thought were sleek as all get out and shot next to some guys who can shuck 'em beautifully. And I have to admit I find shooting my brother's Model 42 a hoot, but I don't think I'll ever be a pump gunner. Don't know if I'm just simple-minded or uncoordinated, but I'm just way more happy playing with doubleguns.

Of course, I don't like Citoris, so I'm obviously not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Wink

Last edited by MGF on Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
walt lister
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:09 pm  Reply with quote

Value---let take a look at that. The $700,16ga Lightweight English #37 which is #32 of a run of 500 I bought five years ago new, is now worth about 2/3 of what I paid for it. The 16ga #12s I have owned for many years have doubled in value every seven or eight years. Which is the better value? I have nothing against #37s as you can tell and I know they have a loyal following by those misguided souls who can't stand the thought that the #12 is the far superior gun Twisted Evil

hunshatt
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:53 pm  Reply with quote

MGF, PLEASE don't start talking about Sterlingworths on this thread.
.".What's a fencepost for one guy is a dream gun for another. What's a beauty to one is a hideous beast to the next"

Oh, my bad, the worlies are tomato stakes not fence posts.

My apologies

Tim
Haiwee
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

Just my 2 cents. Just because a certain model gun is worth more doesn't mean it's a better gun. I, too, own a Model 12 (in 12 gauge), but I also own three Model 37's. I just think the 37 is a better-designed gun, and I shoot them much better than my Model 12 or my Wingmaster. Personally, I'm happy the 37 isn't worth as much as the Winchester -- means I can go out and buy a couple more without breaking the budget.
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:36 pm  Reply with quote

OK. Now I'm convinced. I'm going to sell my Model 12's (and my Model 42, .410) and replace them w/ Model 37's. Does anyone know where I can buy a Model 37 28 gauge and a Model 37 .410?

BTW, Hey 16 gauge guy: Methinks on a previous thread when discussing the advantage of a Browning over a DeHaan, you said that resale value was one reason to own the Browning and that made up for the fact that the DeHaan cost only half as much. Now when it comes to 37 vs. 12, you say that resale value is not important because the 37 can be had for so much less. Does this concept only apply to Brownings and model 37's or only to the guns that Ole 16gg likes? Please enlighten me and explain how you can have it both ways.
XVI

Birdswatter
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:58 pm  Reply with quote

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.........As usual, instead of focusing on the essence of the original post and discussing the merits of the gun presented or the interesting story, the thread is instantly turned into "mine's better" with the main focus on $$$$. Confused

Does anyone else get tired of this bullshit? Please, speak up!
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

Come On Swatter,
Lighten up. We are just having fun. It would be boring if we always all agreed. But, to answer your question, I don't guess we get tired of it because we always do it.
XVI

Wolfchief
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:02 pm  Reply with quote

I talk frequently with some guys who log on to this forum....once in awhile we chuckle (snicker is more like it, truthfully) about comparisons between the Model 37 and the Model 12. Say what ? Are you really serious?? The resale market has spoken...if you don't think so, you haven't looked online at the Cabela's Gun Library website, or Dave Riffle's, or looked at the Gun List, or---the real acid test---looked up the relative values in Schwing's 2005 Annual Catalog of Firearms. The 37 is a good gun, but there's a reason the Model 37 sells for less, and it's NOT because the market considers it a better gun than the Model 12....somebody out there must be smokin' dope....you sell your 37's ten years from now, and I'll sell my 12's and 42's, having hunted and shot with them in the meantime---and then we'll compare the gains on our investment. If your position is "the 37 fits me better and I enjoy it", more power to you---but from a marketability, durabilty and investment standpoint-- it's the model 12 by a WIDE margin. Money talks...and bullshit walks !!