16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New gun to go with my new pup a handsome DD.
JD
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

I picked up a new pup in Jan, a DD ( the German breed club version of a GWP). He shows a lot of potential, and is quite good looking at that. It did not seen right takeing him afield with my old beat up 12ga O/U. I have a new AyA # 2 round reciever 16 ga on the way. I hope the SXS proves to be as pleaseing has the pup. This is my first 16 ga, and first SXS in 35 years.
I had ordered the gun before finding this site,I read the string on spanish shotguns. I hope I get a good one. I live near New Orleans and we have not had a good duck season in 5 years, my duck lease was lost to katrina (2 square miles of marsh now open water)! WE will walk searching for a few woodcock and even fewer Quail. I don't expect to shoot much, but at least we will look good. Where can I find some wild Quail,with in a 12 hour drive of New Orleans ? I wish to stay out of Texas.

JD
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:32 pm  Reply with quote

JD,

Welcome; the pup and the Aya sound like beauties. I hope you love the guage and the sxs. Sorry to hear about your duck lease; good luck finding a few birds to shoot at. Let us know how the gun works out...

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:55 pm  Reply with quote

Your dog is on the cover of the current pointing dog journal. Very nice dogs secound only to Pudelpointers. Have fun with him.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

12 hours drive should get you into central Texas or western Oklahoma.

Both areas are good quail country.
Highcountry
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard JD. You made two good choices - - hope that you can find some birds to chase with them.

TJC
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:46 pm  Reply with quote

JD,
Excellent choice in the Drahthaar as I have 2 myself. Don't listen to PP there, you've got the BEST choice in bird dogs and any other purpose dog. Wink
But I'm not sure about that Spanish gun with the German dog. I would have, actually did choose a good German SxS in the Merkel. Razz

Hey, 1 out of 2 ain't bad. Very Happy

Lawrence U
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:06 pm  Reply with quote

JD, I hope your new shotgun is as wonderful as mine. I'm not sure whether it is the Aya or the Sauer in my Aya-Sauer that make is so sweet, but sweet it is. BTW, does anyone have the details on this hybrid I have?
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:29 pm  Reply with quote

Ughh----Ya didn't buy a LAB-----Shame --Shame----- Wink Wink Wink Wink
Square Load
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:21 pm  Reply with quote

JD,

Have the same problem you do. 2 GSP's and shoot AyA's. Heck, I even have a German last name! When I bought my 16ga. 4/53 it was unfired in the box for half the price of a new Merkel. But I still drool uncontrollably when I'm near a 1620. Maybe someday. In the meantime I'll manage to get by with the Spanish guns.

Dennis
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:56 am  Reply with quote

[quote="hoashooter"]Ughh----Ya didn't buy a LAB-----Shame --Shame-----quote]

He knew better. Wink

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:13 am  Reply with quote

JD, You were wise to pick the AyA. They have about the best track record dependabilitywise. The problem that keeps cropping up in some Spanish guns are soft firing pins (strikers as Larry Brown has seen fit to explain to my sometimes muddle headed approach to gun terminology Laughing). However, this problem has been addressed pretty well in the last decade. Its seen more in older used Spanish guns and in some of the cheapies that have come out of Spain. AyA is certainly not one of these. The pins sometimes flatten, foreshorten, and even can jam in the holes. However, it is not a huge problem to replace the strikers.

If your gun is new, and has any problems, AyA has a service warrenty station in the US. Also, there is Jack Rowe too. He is about the best AyA repairman around. He is to AyA what Giacomo Arraghini is to Perazzi.

Metallurgy has improved tremendously with most good Spanish makers in the last 12 years due to better cutting and milling technology. They do not have to keep the steel as soft as they used to to facilitate the amount of hand labor they used to have to do. The guns are definately stonger now.

I wish you all the luck in the world with your DD. I had my Heidi dog for years. She was a GSH. The German breeds are all hard working, easy to get along with, and very forgiving of most ham handed or amatuer training. They seem to bounce right back into things like few other breeds do if given the love and the opportunity to shine. Irrepressably loving is a good word to describe most of them.

My Heidi was typical. She was able to put up with all the nonsense I foisted off on her in my stumbling approach to dog training. Fortunately, she and I adored each other, so all mistakes and false starts were forgiven and forgotten. She basically taught herself. The key was seeing lots and lots of birds, all kinds of game birds. We hunted every day for hours and hours together. It worked perfectly. She just kind of self corrected and got better and better with each season. If your dog is typical of the German pointing breeds, you are gonna have a hell of a dog if you give him or her the opportunity to hunt as often as you can. I hope you can. Its worth it, every minute, more than gold. Good luck.
JD
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:39 am  Reply with quote

She's here I get to pick her up in a hour or so, then off to the gun club I go. 16 gauge guy, you are spot on about the DD. I have trained 8 or 9 labs and just as many english pointers , and two standard poodles as working dogs. I have never had a pup come so well bred , strong prey drive, the best nose I have seen in a pup, and very sound mentaly, The pointing instint is not as strong as my englsh pointers, Retrieving is almost as strong as my best lab. Smart as the poodles were. I am told they don't
realy don't turn on till 6 or 8 months. that they stay babies a lot longer than labs or pointers. I have him e-collar conditioned on sit ,here, and stay. It took all of a week to do so. we start hold traing and force fetch soon. At his pace he will be stead and doing long hard single marks and long hunting style blinds by teal season (September). then we will work on field work.

JD