16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Mec Reloader Question
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:28 am  Reply with quote

Okay, I've about had it with single stage loaders, way to slow. Mad
Does anyone reload 16 gauge 2-9/16" shells on either a 650 Mec or a Grabber. I called Mec and they said they didn't think you could load the shorter shells on a progressive machine. If you guys have the some experience. Is there a progressive reloader that will work for what I want to do?
Thanks, Dave Miles
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:22 pm  Reply with quote

Dave, I know that BPR sells 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 shell lifters for doing the shorter shell on a 2-3/4" press or a 2-3/4 on one set up for 3" shells. I think they sell them for the 16 ga too. You could use them in the Grabber, just not until station three. you will need four of them. You can probably adjust the dies on the grabber upwards to allow for the added 1/16 inch. The shell length will not be a problem on station one, the sizing/depriming station nor station two, the reprime and powder drop station. Just insert the shell into one after station two and then remove it after station six for the next shell going to station 4. I think there will be room below the crimp ing and taper dies at stations 5 and 6 for clearing the inserts, because the single stage presses all use the same basic crimp die at station 5.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:17 pm  Reply with quote

Well, I bought the MEC Grabber, in 16 gauge. Took a few minor adjustments, but I'm loading 2-9/16" Cheddite hulls, with crimps as good as the factory. No short kit or lifters required. Very Happy One thing I did notice, on the new loaders. The bottle spacing is farther apart. My bottle support bracket from the old loader won't fit. Mad
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

Dave did you start with new unfired hulls or did you use once fired 2 3/4 hulls trimmed to 2 9/16th?
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:09 pm  Reply with quote

I am loading once fired 2-9/16" ARMUSA Hulls. I have 1000 of the new Cheddite hulls, that I have not tried loading with a 6 point crimp yet. I have roll crimped the new hulls, with great success. It's just a much slower loading process. I also have over a 1000 of the Black Remington hulls. If you measure these, they are 2-5/8". I'm hoping I can load these with the same settings as for the -9/16" hulls. I'll let you know, when I try them.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:11 pm  Reply with quote

Well live and learn. I've never bothered to measure a Remington GL case, but I bet I know why its not 2-3/4" long. In fact most all factory shells are about an 1/8 inch short of their stated length to avoid any problems with short chambers. Most American 2-9/16 chambers are actually a tad over 2-5/8 for the same reason. So it all works out nicely.

I'm glad you are able to use the Grabber. It is a time challenged man's dream. You can even load Poly Wad spreader loads on it easy as pie. Just insert the spreader pin down in the wad guide and seat it into the shot with an extra but very light pull of the handle. Just go easy to avoid dropping more shot. The wad guide will center the insert perfectly every time right smack into the middle of the shot. However, don't use short cupped Euro wads for these loads. They work best with American wads. R16 wads should work perfectly here.
Jimbo
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:52 am  Reply with quote

I reload three different shotshell gauges, but 16 ga. has always been the problem for me. Why? I haven't been able to find factory loads or hulls with brass bases. That is important for me. I have two guns with chambers at opposite limits of the SAAMI standard. That means I have to do some serious resizing on all the hulls that I fire in the "looser" gun, to get them to fit the "tighter" gun. Often that means multiple passes through the resizing die or collet, because steel tends to spring back.

I've given up talking to the reloader manufacturers hoping for an improvement in their tooling and machines. I just wish the ammo and component manufacturers would address the base issue.
tselliott
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:48 am  Reply with quote

Buy your self a MEC Super Sizer and I believe your problems will disappear.
eng-pointer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, I bought the MEC Grabber, in 16 gauge. Took a few minor adjustments, but I'm loading 2-9/16" Cheddite hulls, with crimps as good as the factory. No short kit or lifters required. Very Happy

Same here with the 650. Just some minor tinkering and I load 2 1/2 inch shells with no problem.

James

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:05 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Dave, that bottle spacing is not "new". Because two different drop tubes are used on the MEC progressives, the spacing is different than on their single stage loaders. That goes all the way back to the original progressive MEC, the 500. That's why the progressive charge bars are 500 series and the single stage bars are 300 series -- the single stage spacing goes all the way back to the First MEC, the 300. You've also noticed by now the shot and powder bottles are reversed, left-to-right on the progressive vs. the single stage MEC's.

You made a good choice in the Grabber. Did you have to modify any parts to be able to crimp 2 9/16'" shells? On my 16 ga MEC I made the adjustment slot in the crimp cam a little longer to get down to the shorter shell -- a little work with a round file. That's all it took. For the progressive MEC's, it helps to lower the wad guide a little, too, to make sure the wad does not catch on the crimp folds occasionally.
Jimbo
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:07 pm  Reply with quote

tselliott wrote:

Thanks. Do you think the Super Sizer is superior to the collet sizer in the Grabber?
timcornish
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:13 am  Reply with quote

how about on a 9000? Same thing? (file out the slot)
timcornish
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:43 am  Reply with quote

Incidentally the 1632 wad from Grafs also works great with either polywads or x stream spreaders because the cup is real long. I use one oz instead of 1 1/8 with 22 grs of 800x and I shot 250 of them at the Rocky Mtn Vintagers shoot at Whittington this weekend out of my JC Higgins 100 (F&M) and they were perfect for Sporting Clays and Flurry

I loaded them on a sizemaster but sure would like to do it on my 9000
fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:58 am  Reply with quote

Jimbo wrote:
tselliott wrote:

Thanks. Do you think the Super Sizer is superior to the collet sizer in the Grabber?

No they are the same thing .
DanLee
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:09 pm  Reply with quote

I've been using a 9000 for the 16 for about a decade now. None of my guns need "short" shells, so I can't comment on adjusting specifically for those. I will say that the various stations have a pretty wide range of adjustments up and down. I try to hit a happy medium and keep everything the same no matter what shell is going through the press. I also tend to batch load and build up a large quantity of one kind of load (mostly light skeet loads) before switching to another 9000 in a different gauge. There's only room for one press at a time on my bench.

Dan