16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Mec Reloader Question
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:29 pm  Reply with quote

Yes Tim Cornish. All the MEC crimp parts are the same since the 600 Jr. and the little known Super 600 came out, so slotting the cam on the 9000 will work the same in allowing the crimp die to go down a little further. In my experience, MEC's will do 67 mm shells (2 5/8") without modification, but need a little more depth to do 65 mm (2 9/16"). Rem Game Loads are about 67 mm. 2 3/4" is just about exactly 70 mm. Most Cheddite (e.g. today's Wichchester Super X), Fiocchi, etc are a full 70 mm.

And all MEC collet resizers are the same (per gauge), so TS Elliott and Jimbo, that answers that. You certainly don't need a SuperSizer if you have a collet-resizing MEC -- the Sizemaster, Grabber or 9000. SuperSizers are nice if you have a 650, as resizing is a time-consuming separate operation on the 650. Don't know why anyone would fool with a 650 anymore, unless they though they could get away without resizing, as a 650 plus a SuperSizer is almost exactly the same price as a Grabber. Sooner or later you're going to need to resize, so if you shoot enough to justify a progressive press, ignore the 650 and go straight to the Grabber if you can -- hell, a few bucks more and please advance to the 9000. However, there is always the right combination of machines and prices for everyone. Used 650's sometimes go very cheap, and then it's worth it, perhaps. I got a free 650 (12 ga.), and had 4 9000's for my skeet gauges, and use an AutoMate, so I jacked up the 650 on a home-made "riser", converted it to 16 with parts I mostly had, put it on the AutoMate and was happy. I already had a 16 ga. SuperSizer, too, for some reason I can't remember. Then I finally found a cheap used 12 ga 9000 and converted it to 16 and sold the 650 to someone on this forum. Do I load enough 16's to justify that move? -- probably not, but now it's nice to just go from 9000 to 9000 on the Automate, similar to what DanLee does -- one loader at a time is all I have room for, too. I don't mean to totally pi55 on the 650; it's a good reloader, but just be conscious of what it does and doesn't do. It's all about how much time you want to spend re-loading. The shells come out the same regardless of which of the current MEC models you choose -- its all the same crimp system.