16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Model 37 experiences
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:44 am  Reply with quote

Tell me that when both the crappy shells you bought so you could afford the second tube fail to go boom or one of those antique solid springs you rely on goes to spring heaven. I can keep on shucking and shooting, but you are screwed. Laughing
TJC
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:09 am  Reply with quote

I don't buy any crappy shells and the Merkels and Citori don't have any ancient or crappy springs. Razz
2 barrels, 2 triggers, give me 2 guns in one. Razz Razz

Won't catch me shucking no shells no way Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

87016ga
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:22 am  Reply with quote

16gg:
i appreciate your comments on the 870 and agree with the corporate H-I-A
mentality that has "big green" lagging behind the "B" gun makers.
they insist on maintaining the "status quo" until it comes full circle and pushes them off thier pedestal, FORCING THEM to get in the game.

Having owned 12 and 20ga 37's i would not hesitate to buy a 16ga iiiiffffff
they could only stay in business AND produce the type of quality firearm that my mid-70's 20ga was and not the hunk of crap my late 90's 12ga was.

You can knock rem all you want and i will agree with most of it, however the same can also be said of whats left of Ithaca gun co, especially the quality levels of the garbage the last regime put on the market.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:27 pm  Reply with quote

TJC, don't put your hands back in your pockets until you count the triggers on your Citori. Laughing
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:48 pm  Reply with quote

Yup. If you buy any one these guns, check it out real careful before the money hits the counter or at least get an honest description and a three day look in writing to back it up for internet guns. I've been lucky. Both my Model 37 guns are fine. In fact, the wood on the newest one is very nice with some fiddleback figure in the butt. Everything lines up. Everything works. It feeds and shucks nice and slick. The barrel fits on nicely and straight. Its also reasonably well polished inside too. I've seen some with bores that look like they were polished with a hunk of brick. Best of all, the gun hits where the barrel points. I'm also certain the action will get even smoother with use.

I've seen some real crap from the last bunch of 37 guns out of King's Ferry, NY as awell as Big Green. I would not touch a new 1100 without a fire for function test, which means I won't be buying any new. I've seen too many feeding, ejection, and failure to fire problems out of the last bunch. Remington also drags its feet in fixing them or sends you a bill like its your fault. No thanks. not for me. There are too many good used ones out there.

I've also found the new Ithaca folks in Upper Sandusky, Ohio to be very serious about quality control and service. I would not be at all afraid to buy one of their new guns. They overhauled a King's Ferry barrel and sold it to me for my older gun. It is perfect. Its the 24" ribbed barrel w/ chokes I posted about. The quality of the work these guys did to fix the problems the barrel exhibited is top notch. They got them all 100%.
TJC
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:13 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
TJC, don't put your hands back in your pockets until you count the triggers on your Citori. Laughing

It still don't shuck and it doesn't get used in the field. Razz

hunshatt
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:18 pm  Reply with quote

Shuck you, and the ugly dogs you rode in on....
Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Had a idea bout the rst stuff, call me.
hunshatt
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:26 pm  Reply with quote

16gg As far as the single trigger citori, not only does Tjc have ugly dogs, but it's rumored he hooked up with a fat chick ONCE in a booze induced act of primitive lust, so the single trigger is just one more in a long list of transgrestions he's guilty of.
But I've heard he's seaking counsuling, and he did stay a Holiday Inn once, so I guess he's good to go.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:14 pm  Reply with quote

Frankly, 16 GG, to have been all the places you've supposedly been, and done all the things you've allegedly done, and to have been so influential in the development of all of the components, guns, etc. that you so unendingly express pages and pages of opinions on, would take not just your lifetime, but several other lifetimes too.

Unless you are the most influential, knowledgeable gun, ammunition and firearms history scholar ever to have graced the pages of this forum, which I seriously doubt, I would have to take most of your opinions with a hell of a large dose of salt.

TJC
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:28 pm  Reply with quote

hunshatt wrote:
Shuck you, and the ugly dogs you rode in on....
Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Had a idea bout the rst stuff, call me.

Listen now, stop picking on the Ugly Dogs. And I say that with all the affection in the world. Just because my dogs aren't fat, lazy and dumpy, no reason to pick on a couple of pheasant seeking, fine tuned, German pointing machines. Razz

I'll call ya tomorrow AM some time.

hunshatt
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:39 am  Reply with quote

HEY NOW, Beau the super slab resembles that remark Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I'll be in the truck after 1:00 , on the way to the airport.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:57 am  Reply with quote

Wolfchief wrote:
Frankly, 16 GG, to have been all the places you've supposedly been, and done all the things you've allegedly done, and to have been so influential in the development of all of the components, guns, etc. that you so unendingly express pages and pages of opinions on, would take not just your lifetime, but several other lifetimes too.

Unless you are the most influential, knowledgeable gun, ammunition and firearms history scholar ever to have graced the pages of this forum, which I seriously doubt, I would have to take most of your opinions with a hell of a large dose of salt.

Well, I haven't exactly lived my life as a shut-in. Laughing I've been fortunate to have lived a very full and varied one. I've travelled, lived in several regions of our country, read a lot of good books, had a broad and solid education, had many fine conversations with many fine folks, and have been involved with the use and study of guns and ammo for many years now. Its my greatest passion and fullest pastime. Perhaps my strength has been my penchant to ask questions, lots of them of anyone who seems knowledgeable. I'm hardly shy.

One thing I've learned is to not automatically discount what those folks have to say based on emotions, first impressions, or my own opinion. I learn from debate and discussion whether I agree, disagree, or am neutral. Sorry my good fortune disturbs you. Perhaps the PM venue is the place to go from here if you have anything more to say on a personal basis.
TJC
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:55 am  Reply with quote

hunshatt wrote:
HEY NOW, Beau the super slab resembles that remark Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Who said I was talking about Beau Question Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:33 am  Reply with quote

Ouch! That's gonna leave a mark. Rolling Eyes

And remember what Curly Howard said, "If at first you don't shucksheed, keep on shuckin' til you do shucksheed!" NYUK! NYUK! NYUK! Laughing
TJC
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:35 am  Reply with quote

I told you, I don't shuck. Very Happy