16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 ga. loads
redoftx
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:19 pm  Reply with quote

Hello. I just found this site and this is my 1st post. This is probably a question that has been beat or asked to death, but, does anyone know of the lightest possible factory type load ( Rem., Winchester, Federal) shotwise and pressurewise for the 16? I have an LC featherweight I would like to shoot it. Armor steel barrels. I do not reload. It's 4:30 CST and I have to go and cut grass, but I'll check back at bedtime. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

RED
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

Red,

I'm far from the expert here, but in the interest of welcoming you to the site and trying to begin answering your question, I'd have to recommend the Rem black hull promo loads. Don't know what the pressure is, but they're carrying 1oz of shot, and you can find good prices. Bass Pro sells them online for 3.69/box, and I just picked some up in a Bass Pro store for 3.49.

The real answer, though, and I'm just getting into it myself, is to reload for max enjoyment of the 16s.

Hopefully others will weigh in soon, with more definitive answers.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

Get the Vintage 16's from this place, they are 7200 psi.
http://www.armusa-performance.com/

There are also Polywad Vintagers and Gamebores.
TJC
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:53 pm  Reply with quote

Only problem with Armusa is they never have them. I've been checking for 3 months. Out of stock or back ordered all the time.

RST is back in production with their 2.5" shells. Light recoiling but about twice the price of the Rem game loads. They have a 1 oz load and a 7/8 oz load.

jchandler
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:53 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome to the site, Redoftx

I would suggest Fiocchi 1 oz if you can locate some. About 1175psi and 7500psi. Recent promo from Fiocchi actually lists pressure even lower, 6700psi if I recall correctly.

The "big 3" of Federal, Winchester, and Remington all have 1 oz loads with pressures of 9000-10500psi.

Have fun with that Elsie!! Jeff
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:08 pm  Reply with quote

TJC wrote:
Only problem with Armusa is they never have them. I've been checking for 3 months. Out of stock or back ordered all the time.

RST is back in production with their 2.5" shells. Light recoiling but about twice the price of the Rem game loads. They have a 1 oz load and a 7/8 oz load.

I noticed the ARMUSA is out this year, don't know what the problem is. I got 1500 shells from them last year.
As for RST, do they have shells in stock? I knew they where back in operation, but don't know of anyone who has any.
TJC
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:36 pm  Reply with quote

I had an email from the company that I got from someone. I emailed them and they listed their products and prices. I didn't specifically ask if they were in stock but they told me I could order and they would ship direct.

I need to correct one thing, the 1 oz load is 23/4, the 7/8 oz load is 2.5" lite.

redoftx
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:02 pm  Reply with quote

Well, grass is cut, sun has set, and wife is happy b/c she told me to cut it. Scratch one honeydo. Hey 662, I should have found this site sooner. I was born and raised in Houston. I was just there this past weekend b/c my Mom was having heart surgery. Had I known, I would have found a Bass Pro Shop and stocked up. There are no such stores up here where I live in Bowie Co. Texas. Anyway, thanks to all who replied. looks like there are several places to get ammo. Thanks

Red.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:28 pm  Reply with quote

Red-look on ebay or local yard sales--ya might stumble on a reasonable priced 600 or sizemaster