16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Slugs and Guns question
Citori16
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:56 am  Reply with quote

I'm almost too embarrassed to ask this Embarassed

Friend of mine has a Citori in that other gauge which he uses for Turkey...basically he put camo tape all over it Shocked (nicely) and mounted a turkey scope Shocked Shocked (which he hates) on it. He says he's going to change out the scope and then also use it as a slug gun for deer. Shocked Shocked Shocked I told him I didn't think it was wise due to the overbored barrels, thinking he might bulge the barrel if a slug got sloppy, and who knows what else.

I'm definitely no expert, and told him so, and offered him my Ulti-Mag with slug barrel to use Embarassed ....easy now, it's only one gun in that other gauge, don't ex-communicate me. Shotgun deer season gets in the way of bird season and I'm starting to prefer my bow for them in September, so I don't think I'll need the $*^&^#@! Mossberg (yes, I almost hate the gun). Anyways, wanted to check with you guys.

To be fair, he does own another Citori, a Lightning Feather, and he's fairly deadly with it on clays and birds. But no, it's not a 16. Rolling Eyes

clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:01 pm  Reply with quote

The only warnings regarding slugs I can recall are not to use sabot slugs in smoothbore guns. I have never read a warning about using Foster slugs in overbored barrels.
sbs470
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:17 am  Reply with quote

citori 16
tell your mate to put a vernier on the gun and measure the chokes and shoot a slug a couple of thou undersize and cast the slug in soft lead or pure lead no hardner or tin.

I cast one hundred fosbery rifle slugs today. they come out of the mould around .733" and weighing between 742 and 745 grains, I have a number of swages that go down to .728".
you see I cast for 6 different 12 gauge rifles in the Big Game Rifle Club.

2 holland & holland paradox rifles
1 bentley & playfair paradox rifle
1cogswell & harrison invisible rifling Lancaster pattent
1 A Hollis & son invisible rifling Lancaster pattent
1 Martini rifle fully rifled barrel
all of these are rifles with some form of rifling or another, they all shoot very well, your friends gun is a smooth bore so you must use a projectile undersize or shoot a ball which has a minimum of contact with the barrel

good shooting
sbs470
brdhnt
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:52 am  Reply with quote

Your 835 also has an overbored barrel. I don't remember the exact dimensions, but I think it is about .735.

The 'rifling' on most foster style commercial slugs are actually lead vanes designed to compress so the same slug is safe to use in any choke. Consequently most commercial slugs measure about .732.

Back when I was in law enforcement, I had a Remington 1100 fully tricked out as a training piece. Pistol grip stock, sight rails, red-dot sight etc. The barrel was overbored to .740. With a .10 restriction choke, it would shoot either sabot or foster style slugs into one ragged hole at 50 yards.

A citori with a scope? That's one of those ideas you don't even wnat in your head!

TMB
________
PSR-225

Last edited by brdhnt on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Citori16
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:28 am  Reply with quote

Thanks all, I'm still going to offer him the 835, but at least if he does stick to the Citori it'll ease my mind a little to know it might not ruin anything.

brdhnt, first time I saw that gun I didn't recognize it until I caught a glimpse of the trigger guard buckmark...Scary, but, like I said, he is a good guy, even if he doesn't own a 16...I'm going to work on that Wink

hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:48 pm  Reply with quote

A little offtopic ---BUT after that Aussie post-WOW---What a collection.I am completely green with envy Embarassed Embarassed Shocked Shocked Very Happy Very Happy
sbs470
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:56 am  Reply with quote

hoashooter
they arn't all mine only the Hollis .I'm just the mug casting for everyone else.
good shooting
sbs470