16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  A day at the range with my new # 2
JD
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:43 am  Reply with quote

I picked up my AyA # 2 round reciever and headed to the range. The wood was very pleasing and good for the price range. It has 29 inch barrels and feels alive in the hands. Wood to metal fit was ok. There was one place at the bottom of a side plate you could feel a sharp edge. It doest look bad you you can just feel it if you go looking for it. I have a very critical eye when I was 20 I spent a summer working in a gun shop refinishing stocls and polishing for the blueing shop. The metal work is great, barrels look to be well done and good smooth bright polish. Fitting is tight but smooth. Very Happy There is a spot on the rib that the blueing has rubbed off. I did not see it when I opened the package, The gun was never put on a hard surface, I noticed it when I was oiling her down after the shoot. I used a little piece of valour (spelling ?)That came in the case. Shocked Its not scratched just no blue.
I did not shoot it worth a dam, Embarassed I average 3 to 5 droped targets at skeet when shooting with out pratice, I droped 10 or so Rolling Eyes I put 4 boxes through with out a problem the gun feels great It starts fast, but stops fast also. When I was on, it smoke the targets. Four stars and three stars means it is choked how, I will check where it is shooting at a different
club to day .I know it is shooting high.
It may take a case of shells to learn the gun, but she feels good enough it will be worth it. She wants to Tango and I seem to have two left feet, but she is so sweet to hold I don't mind spending time on the dance floor. She is a little hot to handle how do you deal with barrel heat, It is 95 here and I was shooting by my self. Do I need gloves or a leather forarm.?

JD
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:58 am  Reply with quote

JD: Sounds sweet! Can you post some pics?

You definately need to get a leather barrel sleeve. Can't be grabbing those barrels when they're hot!

Matt
MGF
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:29 pm  Reply with quote

I have some of the same experiences when shooting skeet with a light gun designed for the field. I have a tendency to quickly get out in front and then slow or stop the gun. It's not hard to overcome ... just takes lots of shells! Smile

My experience: Main thing is to learn to turn off the fussbudget brain and just shoot right now when the picture looks right. Swing through, see the daylight and let rip.

Re gloves ... I shoot O/U's, so don't need a glove for hot barrels. But my brother, who's getting his groove set with a new Silverhawk with a splinter forearm, generally puts on a glove for the forward hand when we're shooting a lot of shells. Galco's fore-end guard's a nice item, but I'd think a leather work glove would do.

Sounds like a great gun. Hope you have lots of fun with it.
JD
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:14 am  Reply with quote

All is right with the world, I never had a firearm pretty enought to name, I do now. Selma and I are learning to Tango. My first round of skeet went clean to station 6 with a miss on the high house, I went on to finish with a 23 (all shot from a low gun start.) The skeet junkies sneared when I walked up with a 16 ga,"" no body shoots those or SXS I was told"". Round 2 went just as well. They were not friendly after I out shot them with their high tec guns,Trap from a low gun was a failer, but with a high gun start I did ok. The gun shoot a little flat all my 12 or set up to shoot high I may have the gun fitted.

Thanks for the pep talk, guys.

JD