16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Faisan Opener - 2012-13 Equipo A
bmc
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

Well we have another season kicked off, we are in full swing now. Honestly, they open the season way too early for our neck of the woods, and it was way too hot. That kept most of the guys from coming down, so all we had was what we refer to as the Equipo A - The A team.

The familiar view looking down the road towards the Lady's house.

On "pheasant eve" we mostly ran around and took care of some busy work. We scouted for fields and took a look at the general lay of the land and conditions of fields.

Then we posted up under a large tree and waited for some Dove action that never really came.

We saw plenty of dove, but it was so humid and we never really found a flyway. Either way both man and dog were just happy to be back out in the field. This is one time of year I start to enjoy having a GSP. The other 10 months of the year not so much, he is a challenging dog to live with.

My lab on the other hand is a dream. I rarely have older dogs that I get to keep. She has turned into everything I hoped and dreamed for when I bred her mom and dad 3 years ago. She is dialed in, and definitely a valuable member of Equipo A.

There was no real action to speak of. We didn't even pull the guns out of the sleeves, so we sat back, cracked open one of those pure cane sugar Cokes and enjoyed the evening as the sun went down and cooler weather set in.

The temperature swings are incredible. 100+ at the peak of the day and 73 by dinner. And what a dinner it was. Ive missed this meal all summer long, its one of Mexico's best Arranchera's.

The next morning we had an early start. The fields were wet and there was a thick Mist.

The first few fields had a heavy layer of dew. It didn't take long for them to dry, but the early morning wet grass really helped the dogs pin birds.

The GSP's did an incredible job. Both Belle and Slim were trapping and locking up hard on birds. Belle even held double roosters!

At the end of the last field Slim locked up solid.

As I Approached a Rooster popped up at my feet, yet Slim held point, even more crazed looking. I verbally " free'd" him, but he would not move! Thinking it was old scent I decided to pull out my camera to get a shot of his intense stare. There is nothing quite like the look of a GSP when they have a bird under nose.

However, as I approached for the photo, this kicked up.

It's funny because this dog will rarely point a hen. He bumps them all the time, so the earlier Rooster must have been sitting with this hen when he locked up. Not to worry, the only shot fired on the hen was from my camera!

Most of the birds that got out of the field flew to a small patch of cotton, so we decided to give it one pass. It looked short, but once we got in the middle we realized how challenging walking through cotton really is. We managed, but barely.

One of the most interesting things from this opener was the condition of the birds that were taken. We didn't harvest many, but the ones we did were very young. In fact this one here still appears to have his pinfeathers still coated in protective wax like coating. I dont think these are new feathers from a molting bird, but rather that this bird was a juvenile. This will be something to watch in the upcoming weeks.

By 1030am the weather became unbearable. So we called it a day and headed home.

Being creatures of habit, we made our normal stop once we crossed the border back into the USA. Nothing says welcome home better than a burger!

It's funny, as I enjoyed this tasty meal I could not help to wonder if Gils has ever enjoyed an In and Out burger? Funny this online community.

This photo is for you Gil, not our normal gun and garden, but what the heck.

It was an action packed 24 hours, and on the way home we ended up blowing the transmission on the truck. Two years ago on the opener with the same guy we ended up killing his old suburban in Mexico. We were thankful that this year we only blew the transmission and luckily on the back side of the grade. We coasted the truck about 45 miles down hill on the way back into San Diego. I had 1st and 2nd gear, so we limped it to the dealer and hopefully it will be fixed by tuesday.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:13 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't hunted in Mexico, but I've been told there is a process that must be done in advance of arriving at the border in order to transport firearms from US to Mexico. ??
Moves
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:40 pm  Reply with quote

Man! Incredible pictures again BMC! That steak made my mouth water.

Not being from the south and not being very old, I don't think I've ever seen a cotton field in color.

Joel

bmc
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:16 pm  Reply with quote

AmericanMeet wrote:
I haven't hunted in Mexico, but I've been told there is a process that must be done in advance of arriving at the border in order to transport firearms from US to Mexico. ??

you know we take it for granted our gun rights in the USA, but most other countries have strict gun policy. Even for sporting arms.

Yes, you need a gun permit. it runs concurrent with the hunting seasons and doesnt cost that much. In addition the guns and issued permit must be signed off by a higher military official on your first entry into the country. subsequent entries the guns must only be verified by any military soldier at the border. 2 guns permitted 100 shells per gun upon each entry.

Its nothing to be scarred of, but you want to make sure you do it all correctly. I have been processing permits and registering guns in mexico for 15+ years (and registering my own guns for 10+ years before that) and we have only had a handful of issues (usually guys not writing the correct serial numbers on the forms).

You know canada does something very similar too, so like I said its a process but nothing out of the ordinary.
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:09 am  Reply with quote

Terrific photos!