16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  merkel 47 E
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:08 am  Reply with quote

I have a question gentleman. I had the left barrel choke opened up on my merkel and now it shoots low and left of point of aim. I think the only solution is to send it to briley and have thin walls installed. I don't have any proof it was regulated properly before. Briley said they will check the alignment of the bore and choke and see if it can be cured before they start. I was shooting sporting clays over the weekend was hitting every thing with the right barrel missing every thing with the left. So I came home and did some extensive pattern testing. Right barrel is centerd on point of aim with about 80% of the pattern above point of aim.which is exactly what I want. The left barrel is slightly right of center and 80% below point of aim. Any advise or exprience with the thin wall chokes would be appreciated. I know shame on me. Shit happens live and learn.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:29 am  Reply with quote

First, before anything else, I'd like to know who did the barrel work? You should have them rectify the problem. Most post WW II Merkel barrels are very well regulated to hit dead on each other at 40 yards. Also, different type loads can affect the POI. So can a poor fitting stock. The left barrel is the one that tends to swing into your face a bit if you shoot right handed. Not enough cast, the wrong pitch, a fat cheek piece, or a poorly fitted recoil pad can throw the gun off. So can a flinch. I'd first have the barrels collimated to see if the bores are lined up correctly. Then, if that shows nothing, have someone else that you know is a good shot try the gun. I'm saying this because the amount of POI shift you describe is almost impossible to get by opening a choke a bit off, especially an open choke. It would take actually bending the barrels to do this. However, flinching would definately do this.

One other point. Be sure you check your POI from a standing, unsupported or unrested position. Resting a double gun on a pad while checking POI will give you a false result nearly every time. I posted the right method of shooting in a gun a few monthes back. I'd look it up and read it.

That said, there are basically two fixes, off center jug or recess choking and an eccentric choke tube. The first method is done with a piloted cutter that takes out some barrel wall a bit behind the muzzle and exactly opposite of where you want the pattern to go This basically steers the pattern away to the opposite direction of where it shoots now. However, it will only shift the pattern about 30% at best.

The second method will be more effective, about 50%, but your gun is way off. You might need both barrels adjusted, then do some stock work to elevate or lower the gun's new mutual POI. I'd also have the tubes permenantly installed once the POI is corrected.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:05 pm  Reply with quote

I too would like to know who did the barrel work. I have a couple barrels I was going to send out to have the cjhokes opened. Would rather not send to the same place. Crying or Very sad
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

Why have the chokes perm. installed? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having chokeb tubes? The barrel was slightly lower before but it seems quite a bit worse. I just don't want the gun messed around with more trying to fix it and make it worse. I was considering putting tubes in originally. I thought this might be the best and easyest solution. I don't want the gun to be destroyed trying to straighten a choke. The left barrel was marked 3/4 choke but it shot like x-full. I wanted a mod. to light mod. to go with the ic in the left barrel. Talked to GSI they said send to briley or back to the factory to have the barrels taken apart and fixed. Seems like tubes is would be the quickest and add some versatility to the gun.
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:01 pm  Reply with quote

pudel,
I hope Briley can do your 47E. I sent mine to them and there was not enough metal for them to put the tubes in. I had them open my barrels up to Skt1 and Skt2.
I also have a new 1620 coming which should have no problems taking the tubes. In fact, it's going to Briley before I even shoot it. Very Happy

Good luck.

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:15 am  Reply with quote

It looks like the walls are thick enough. What is skt2- light mod. ?
TJC
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:55 am  Reply with quote

Yes, light Mod. Used over the pointing dogs both work just fine. If adjustments are needed, I change ammo accordingly. Wink

I want tubes in the new 1620 so that I can use the gun for a few different things that just don't work with the same chokes.
As well, I won't have to adjust the ammo in the 2 barrels just put the chokes in that I want for a certain job and use the same ammo.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:49 am  Reply with quote

pudelpointer wrote:
Why have the chokes perm. installed? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having chokeb tubes? The barrel was slightly lower before but it seems quite a bit worse. I just don't want the gun messed around with more trying to fix it and make it worse. I was considering putting tubes in originally. I thought this might be the best and easyest solution. I don't want the gun to be destroyed trying to straighten a choke. The left barrel was marked 3/4 choke but it shot like x-full. I wanted a mod. to light mod. to go with the ic in the left barrel. Talked to GSI they said send to briley or back to the factory to have the barrels taken apart and fixed. Seems like tubes is would be the quickest and add some versatility to the gun.

Briley will only guarantee that your gun will not shoot to a different place than where it was shooting when you sent it to them. simply installing tubes will not fix a bad barrel regulation job.

to correct your gun's present POI, the new choke tubes will have to be eccentric and will shoot true only in the barrel they are made for. Get them mixed up or lose them and you are screwed. You claimed one barrel was shooting 80% high and the other 80% low. You will need to get both barrels fitted with eccentric tubes to correct this much error. It is a bunch.

I'd take the option of having the barrels realigned after the muzzle ends are reamed back straight in line with the rest of the bore and to cylinder bore (no choke). you can then have choke tubes fitted. That way, both barrels will hit to the same place regardless of which tube you use. You will avoid the eccentric choke tubes and the fuss and bother this will cause. Plus, the full value of the gun will be restored. Otherwise, you will have a gun that is virtually unsellable except as a give away. No one wants to buy someone else's headache unless its bought cheaply enough to end up ahead valuewise.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:57 am  Reply with quote

Briley is going to check the bore to choke alignment. If the bores are properly regulated then they will install the tubes. If the barrels are out of regulation I will send it back to merkel or take your advise and have the chokes perm. installed. I think the choke job was out of alignment but I will let the experts determine the problem. If it is the choke job that messed up the gun I will advise everyone and have a conversation with the party in question.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

Get Briley's test results in writing, then you will have recourse with the one doing the choke job if he caused it. If he has any integrity, he'll help cover the cost of the repair plus give you a refund.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:41 pm  Reply with quote

I here you and advise taken.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry advice. Can't chew gum and spell at the same time.