16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Suhl 16 gage SxS
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:37 pm  Reply with quote

I was loafing in the LGS Friday afternoon and noticed a double on the rack. The gun was not marked as to price and when I picked it up one of the regular loafers commented the sale was PENDING (to him, naturally).

The only marking I could see was "Suhl, Germany". The gun was case with 95% of the color still on it. Overall condition of the gun matched the case coloring. The only downside to the gun was someone had installed a one inch black recoil pad that looked horribly out of place. Barrels measured out about 29 inches and measured out at modified/full. The gun appeared to be built on a 20 gage frame or possibly a 16 frame. The gun was very lively. There was a lever in the bottom of the frame that I assume (and I know what that does to you) was to remove the barrels? I have a very limited knowlege (OK, actually none) of German doubles. I did not take the barrels off to look at the flats or water table. Any idea what the going rate would be on this gun since I thought it impolite to ask the guy to whom the sale is pending? If the sale falls thru (which is not likely knowing this guy) I would really like to possess this shotgun. THX
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:08 am  Reply with quote

Unless there is a top lever in the usual place as well, then this bottom lever is the one that opens the gun. I'm assuming this bottom lever points forward over the trigger guard. the workmanship in some of these Suhl guns can be exquisate. However, 90% of the no names are one of a kind guns. If you have a limited budget to maintain these type guns, having one repaired can be a shock. Just keep that in mind when evaluating the gun. Also, make sure of the chamber length and the proof rating of the gun. Some are meant only for low pressure loads in shorter than standard American ammo. In short, assume nothing here. Know exactly what you are buying. Thaere are no warrantees on these guns.
pappy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:49 pm  Reply with quote

Many WWII bring backs were shot with "high brass" duck and pheasent loads in the 50"s and 60's. With a short chamber 2 1/2 or 2 9/16 would signifcantly effect the recoil. Have seen a lot with cut down stocks and thick recoil pads. Would have been better the ream the chamber, generally.

clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:17 pm  Reply with quote

The gun is a top lever. The bottom of the frame, in the center, has what appears to be a lever or perhaps a sliding button. I really couldn't tell if was made to slide or it levered out given the limited inspection I made of the gun. The only thing I could think of was it was some kind of barrel release. If anyone else knows what it could be I would like to know.

The gun locked up tight. Given the lack of serious wear I doubt it was fired much. I suspected the gun was a 2 1/2 incher but I already have a short chambered A5 so that's no big deal. Pappy, I bet you are right, someone shot a few heavy loads and the gun beat them up so they installed a pad instead of knowing enuff to shoot short shells.

If the gun is available I will certainly give it a though inspection.