16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  value of 16 gauge browning white lightning
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:01 am  Reply with quote

None of the 16 ga Citori models came stock from Miroku with a recoil pad. Every one had a plastic butt plate. The guns could be sent back to Arnold, Missouri and have one installed for an additional fee after being purchased. There may even have been some that were ordered with one as a custom option by the wholesaler after they were brought into the states. However, I'm not certain about this and have never seen one NIB. If yopu doubt this, call Browning Corporate. They will tell you this is true.

If a dealer is telling you that the gun came with the pad from the factory NIB, he is proving my point, because he is fibbing. He knows its altered.
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:57 am  Reply with quote

Wow! 16gaugeguy gets a little huffy when someone does not agree w/ one of his loooooonnnnnggggg orations.
Sorry, but I am the English teacher here (off for the summer and not reading and writing comments on forums on company time) and the comment about the "$800 from a dealer" was not really clear the way it was written. It had a tone of ambiguity to it, however, I seem to recall that the original meaning may have been implied.
Sometimes comments are made just to see what kind of a "rise" one may get from another individual. I must say I was surely entertained and not disappointed.
However, we have perverted the poor original poster's thread and we all owe him an apology.
XVI

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:25 pm  Reply with quote

Well, all I can say is, I bought one new, with a pad. If you check out the Carolina Sporting Arms website, you'll find the White Lightning pictured with a factory pad--although it's a 12ga. (They don't have any 16ga WL's in stock.)

Guy, check out the thread I started under 16ga guns. Just spoke with a very knowledgeable and high-volume dealer today, and he says the Citori 16 is the double on which he is currently getting the most calls. And you simply do not see them, used, on dealer racks. If you do, they sell very quickly. Note that he raised the issue of the Citori 16--I was talking to him about side by sides. He has not had one in months. Also, Cabela's has pretty much depleted its fairly large inventory of lower grade (400 and 500) FAIR 16's, which are in the same price range as Grade I Citoris, which means there is a very strong demand for 16ga OU's in that neighborhood (relatively speaking). Significant demand + short supply=no bargains, unless you wish to prey on some widow or orphan.Smile That situation may change when the new Citori 16's hit the market, but until then, I would not expect a WL 16 to sell for less than $1100 in 95% condition with a pad, assuming a decent job and a not too short LOP--probably more. Why wait for a new one and pay $5-600 more just because it's new, if you're going to take it hunting anyhow?

As for shooting high dollar British guns . . . nope, I've never owned anything approaching a "high dollar" British gun, which would cost me more than I paid for my house. And the vast majority of the hundreds of guns I've owned over the last 30+ years have been in the Citori price range, or under. My business as a writer is to get people good, accurate information, not to try to help them spend their money.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:06 am  Reply with quote

Larry, all Miroku 12 ga. standard Hunting and Lightning models come with a "Browning Brick" except the Superlights. All the small gauge basic hunting guns come with a curved plastic butt plate including the 16 ga. guns. Some of the small gauge target models have recoil pads. However, until now, Browning has not made a target grade 16.

You'd do well to replace that BB with one of the pre-fitted Pacmayer Excelorator pads. Its the same size and shape and actually feels like a good recoil pad instead of a concrete block. Laughing you can save the original pad and put it back on if you end up selling the gun--unaltered. Laughing

I'm also certain you picked up on my smiley face following the high roller stuff. but in case you missed it-- Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink .

XVIgauge--You might need to have your eyes checked. Tell me--How many fingers am I holding up? Rolling Eyes PLUUUURRRBBB!!! Laughing
MGF
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:37 am  Reply with quote

As a guy who recently went looking for a non-Citori 16 O/U, I'd have to agree with Larry: There is an unfilled demand -- maybe a lot of unfilled demand -- in the market for a mid-level priced, true-framed, 16 O/U -- say in the range of $1,500 to $2,000.

I ended up paying $3,300 for a FAIR 900 ... largely because I couldn't find a FAIR 400 or 500 with 28" barrels. Cabela's move those in short order, and I was late to the dance.

My 900 is a nice gun, and I have no "real" issues with it. It fits nicely, shoots where I look and I enjoy shooting is as much as any O/U I've ever owned. However, it is mechanically the same gun as the 400. For me (in the post-purchase mode), some rather basic bulino engraving, a coin finish, an Anson push-rod forend and slightly updgraded wood aren't truly worth $1,800 price difference between the 400 and 900. Which is not to say my 900 is going anywhere. It's a shooter, not a bad looking gun and and it's paid for ... it's staying around. Personally, I just think it's more of a $2,000 gun than a $3,000 gun, but I guess the market ultimately makes those decisions.

Right now, I'd say the newly imported, true-frame B.Riz guns are the best option out there if you're looking for a lithe 16 O/U other than the Citori. (I drool over the 2016 Merkel, but that's out of my reach at over $6K.)

Disclaimer: Sissy-tori guys, please do not get shorts bunched. I'm sure the Citori is a fine gun and you are all sporting gentlemen of the first order ... I just can't shoot Browning O/Us as well as I shoot the Italian O/Us ... which isn't all the spectacular, either, but that's a different story.

An aside: There's a lone FAIR 400, 26 inch barrels, on the Cabela's site at the moment. If you look into it, ask 'em to check the forearm fit before you plunk down the $1,500. If I wasn't saving my nickels for the day CG comes out with a 16, I'd be tempted to grab that gun.

Done now, sorry about the long post.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:22 pm  Reply with quote

MGF wrote:

Disclaimer: Sissy-tori guys, please do not get shorts bunched. I'm sure the Citori is a fine gun and you are all sporting gentlemen of the first order ... I just can't shoot Browning O/Us as well as I shoot the Italian O/Us ... which isn't all the spectacular, either, but that's a different story.

answer: Gentlemen??? Who came in? Laughing
MGF
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:17 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Gentlemen??? Who came in? Laughing

That was for revdoc. I figure a man of the cloth and of medicine, it can't hurt to stay on his good side. May need one or the other of his services some day.

Plus, hell, who knows ... it's possible one of the new guys could be a gentleman. Razz
Citori16
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:41 am  Reply with quote

As far as members of the gentry, I'm sure we all fit there....otherwise we wouldn't have or belong to this little club of exclusivity with stuffy little sub-clubs that throw word-darts at eachother. Laughing ...and I wouldn't change that...

However, comma, only my wife and children call me gentle....occasionally. Wink

If you own a gun, you gotta be at least a little bit redneck...

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:15 pm  Reply with quote

MGF, I agree with you. Upgraded wood and some hand engraving shouldn't equate to twice the price--although the 900's Cabela's have are discounted quite a bit from what New England Arms was asking for them. I have a feeling that unlike the 400's and 500's, they're going to have trouble moving those 900's. There may well be some pretty fair discounts on them before long, and if you have something they like, you can probably do some pretty good trading right now.

One advantage (assuming lighter weight is an advantage to you) the FAIRs have over the Citoris is weight. The only Citori as light as a FAIR is the Lightning Feather. With the other models, you may well have a gun that's half a pound lighter.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:46 pm  Reply with quote

Yep, Larry, I'm writing off a third of the 900 purchase price as a "live and learn" expense.

Seriously, though, was kicking the subject of the 16 around with my brother, who's a pretty fair shotgunner and master class at squeezing the maximum use from a dollar. We came to the conclusion that if you want a true-framed, reasonably light, multi-choked 16 O/U, the Citoris and the F.A.I.R.'s are really all that are readily available. So, if I overpaid a tad, no great harm. The gun's a lovely fit, smashes 'em hard on the skeet field and is a pretty fair looking piece. I'm sure I'll enjoy it in the field come the season. Just wish November would get here yesterday.

I do hope the CG guys come out with a 16 model or two. Those boys seem to know how to nail the price points pretty well ... and think of all the conversation fodder it would give us 16 ga. crazies!

Citori lads, sorry about my contribution to thread drift.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:38 am  Reply with quote

"We came to the conclusion that if you want a true-framed, reasonably light, multi-choked 16 O/U, the Citoris and the F.A.I.R.'s are really all that are readily available."

You can add the B. Rizzini Aurum Classic to the list. I fondled one last week at a local dealer. Less than $2100. Fixed chokes, no screw in tubes.

I didn't like the non-flush, knurled choke tubes on the Ceasar Gureini(sp?). They stuck out like a sore thumb.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:19 pm  Reply with quote

I understand B. Rizzini is coming out with a 16 OU on a scaled frame, but I'm not sure they're available yet. The Aurum makes the cut in terms of weight, but it uses an alloy, 12ga frame to do it. Decent guns anyhow. Saw one in a nearby gunshop not long ago and was tempted--although I've gotten rid of all my OU's because I got tired of tilting my head 90 degrees.
MGF
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:10 pm  Reply with quote

Larry Brown wrote:
I've gotten rid of all my OU's because I got tired of tilting my head 90 degrees.

You joshing us, Larry?
nossman
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:50 pm  Reply with quote

MGF wrote:
As a guy who recently went looking for a non-Citori 16 O/U, I'd have to agree with Larry: There is an unfilled demand -- maybe a lot of unfilled demand -- in the market for a mid-level priced, true-framed, 16 O/U -- say in the range of $1,500 to $2,000.

I ended up paying $3,300 for a FAIR 900 ... largely because I couldn't find a FAIR 400 or 500 with 28" barrels. Cabela's move those in short order, and I was late to the dance.

At one point, I was looking at the Citori, but just couldn't jump on that bandwagon. I fell in love with the F.A.I.R.'s. I found a very slightly used Verona (F.A.I.R.) LX501 with 28" barrels (on this board) for $600. She is built on a 16ga. frame, weighs 6 3/4 lbs, has screw-in chokes, and has an engraved silver receiver with nice wood. The fit & finish (metal-to-metal & metal-to-wood), are excellent! She feels perfect between the hands, shoulders effortlessly, and fits like a glove. I'm love'n this gun!
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:05 am  Reply with quote

Larry Brown wrote:
I understand B. Rizzini is coming out with a 16 OU on a scaled frame, but I'm not sure they're available yet. The Aurum makes the cut in terms of weight, but it uses an alloy, 12ga frame to do it. Decent guns anyhow. Saw one in a nearby gunshop not long ago and was tempted--although I've gotten rid of all my OU's because I got tired of tilting my head 90 degrees.

Yes, the scaled frame Rizzini's are available now. I just bought an Aurum Light model earlier this week--6 pounds with the optional straight stock and alloy frame. But I also looked at an Aurum Classic with color case hardened steel frame and prince of wales stock--less than $2100--see it on their website. www.rizziniusa.com