16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Browning Heritage 16
John Abrahams
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

Does anybody in the group own one of these? Love the appearance but hard to justify the extra $. What exactly are you getting beside the decorative sideplate and upgraded wood? Its a beautiful gun, wondering if there is anything else I should know as to its manufacture or advantage.

Perhaps I should just be happy to find a 525. I am looking for a 16 gauge cirori with a pistol grip and schanbel forearm.

Any background or possible leads would be much appreciated.

Happy Hunting!
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:29 pm  Reply with quote

These might assist

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=319163100

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=319807757

Mike

20m3s
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

John,

I can't help you on the Heritage 16 but they certainly are beautiful guns.

I do know there was a 16 gauge Citori made with a Prince of Wales grip and a schnabel forearm -- my brother and I each have one. They were from a run made for Scheel's about 10 years ago.

You can find a bit of info my brother wrote about them here:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5256309/1

and I'm sure there is a thread or two on 16ga.com about them. If you search for Scheel's Citori 16 I'll bet you'll find some old threads.

Doesn't help you find the gun, but gives some idea of what options might be out there.

The 16's are lovely guns, hope you find the one that is perfect for you.

Best,
20m3s
John Abrahams
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:12 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks to both Mike and the second member who posted replies to my inquiry. I've been out in SD hunting pheasants, thus the delay in responding.

"20m3s" can't tell by the photos you linked me to of your brother's post...are these guns oil or high gloss finished?

This would be what I'm looking for at a fraction of the cost of the Heritage models.

Anybody out there have one of these they are looking to sell or know someone who does?

Happy Holidays and thanks, John
Ga16ga
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:39 am  Reply with quote

The Browning website says - Exquisite high-relief gold enhanced engraving depicting grouse on the right-hand side plate and quail on the left-hand side plate.

But the pictures on there and the auction sites show pheasant and duck. I wonder why they changed?
Kaiser Norton
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:15 pm  Reply with quote

John Abrahams wrote:

"20m3s" can't tell by the photos you linked me to of your brother's post...are these guns oil or high gloss finished?

This would be what I'm looking for at a fraction of the cost of the Heritage models.

Happy Holidays and thanks, John

John, they are oil finish, 28" barrels, with a pheasant engraving on the sides. Box states they are a "lightning field". Can't really help you with locating one, haven't seen another for sale since I found my brothers (2004/2005 maybe?).
Scheels in Fargo had a few of the latest iteration, but they haven't the schnable forend, nor are they cheap ($1899). I paid $1400 for mine, several years back, found my brothers (used) for $999. That was a steal. Perhaps you could contact Scheels and they might be able to put you on to one, if they've one in their system.
When I bought mine, the local store had 8-10 of them in the rack, with 26 and 28" barrels, and one or two high grades in the locked display case.

Kaiser Norton

John Abrahams
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:03 am  Reply with quote

Kaiser,

Took your advice and called a few Scheels stores...nothing in their system (new) and they can't pull up other store's used inventory (hence the multiple calls). Seems like these are now officially a not easy to find item, better hang on to yours.

Thanks for your info on the finish and the tip on where to search.

The hunt continues!

Happy Holidays, John
20m3s
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:01 pm  Reply with quote

John,

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to respond. I came down with Superposed fever and haven't been checking here much.

I'm hoping my brother has answered your questions about the Scheels guns?

I do see there are a couple of used Citori 16's available online, though neither have the schnabel forearm. One is on Guns International, the other in the Cabela's gun room.

Best of luck with your search.

-20m3s
John Abrahams
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

Happy Holidays 20m3s,

Yes, your brother certainly answered my questions on the Scheel's guns. Pity they're gone and no planned re run of these, they appear to be very nice, no frills model and just what I'd like to find.

Still looking for a non high gloss/oil finished Citori with or without the Schnabel forearm, guess I can't be too choosey.

Hope you have cured your Superposed fever.

Thanks again for your feedback, John
Doggai
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:25 pm  Reply with quote

John - you are suffering from the "Browning discontinuation of a good gun before people got ready to purchase them" syndrome. They have done this for years, bringing out a gun that had a quick appeal to a few people that bought them immediately, then failing to wait for the market to develop for a wider audience.

Browning is a Whats New kinda company without the patience to develop their loyal customers. The Browning Double Automatic is another example, and the Browning Mountain Rifle muzzleloader. Actually, the BMR audience never did develop due to the imports that undercut the price. But the BMR gun was a nice example of USA made quality expected of Browning.

Browning Double Auto Twelvette
Browning Double Auto Twentyweight
Remington 1100 12 2 barrels
Charles Daly SxS 28
Kaiser Norton
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:05 pm  Reply with quote

Here are a few pics with a bit better detail, via my brother's photo skills...

Forgot to mention in my previous post that mine came with 4 chokes (full, modified, and two IC's).

I had the opportunity to shoot preserve pheasants (pen raised) with pointing dogs the weekend before Christmas in NE, thanks to my girlfriend's father. Shot 9 shells, missed with three. Most birds shot at about 20-30 yards out. Ammunition was Federal 6's, and some Fiocchi 4's. Both knocked the crap out of these birds. Scored one double when 6-7 birds flushed out of a plum thicket.

Kaiser Norton

df
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:24 pm  Reply with quote

Are these 16 ga citoris, the Heritage model, made on a 12 ga frame, a 16 specific frame or a 20 ga frame?

I have an older grade III, believe made in the 80s and honestly I am not sure what frame it is. I don't think its a 20 ga frame.
gunsrus
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:01 pm  Reply with quote

An older Grade 3 is made on it's own gauge specific frame . Pretty hard to find one today .
John Abrahams
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

I just purchased a Citori Heritage 16 and called Browning to confirm that it was indeed built on a true 16ga frame and not a 20 or a 12, Lenny, at Browning customer sevice, assured me it was built on a 16 ga frame.
Lon
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:14 pm  Reply with quote

Would love to hear more about your new Heritage when it comes in. Would love to see photos too!

Thanks,
Lon

www.lonlauber.com