16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  1st post and a citori ?
DVR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:15 pm  Reply with quote

Hi, this is my first post. Thanks for reading.
I have two remington model 58 16's and just sold my newer remington 1100 16ga. The newer remington just did not "feel right" (it did feel heavy).

I saw a citori 16ga this weekend I really liked. I have been wanting one for some time.
It had a 28in barrel, really nice looking dark wood with lots of character and 4 factory choke tubes. it was new and unfired but privately owned. the box was with it.
the date code was MZ. From what I gathered that made it a 2001?

The asking price is $1600. I offered $1400 and the offer was not accepted.

Is $1600 is a fair price? I have seen alot of citori's and own a few that are not 16ga. The wood on this gun looked like grade 3 or above. the gun is said to be a grade 1.

I know a gun is worth whatever someone will pay. I searched but could not find the current pricing for the new 16ga citori's.

Thanks in advance.
wildweasel
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:21 am  Reply with quote

Here's where all the newest are and welcome aboard!

http://www.billhanusbirdguns.com/brwng06.html
Birdawg
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:35 am  Reply with quote

Depending on the condition it could be in the ballpark any way. If you like the feel of the Citori (they are a bit hefty for a 16) it would be worth serious consideration. I have seen them go for $850 to 1600 on the resale market. For a good one I have to believe the under 1k guns are gone for now.

to be considered flaws or defects.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:49 am  Reply with quote

DVR, welcome aboard. The Citori w/ 28" barrels should weigh about 6-3/4 lbs, give or take. That is hardly too heavy for a decent 16 ga. game gun. It is about perfect in fact, regardless of what some might say. MZ is a 2001 gun.

If the gun is brand new, unfired, in the box, it might be worth a bit of a premium in today's market. I'd ask the owner about the following: 1. Does he have the box ? 2. Is the gun unfired ? 3. Are there any handling marks, scratches, wear, or any other cosmetic damage? 4. What is the gun's model designation on the box.

If the gun is perfect with the box, and the wood is as truely good as you think, then maybe $1500 for a Grade I might be worth it. However, if the gun has been shot and there are any handling marks, I would not pay more than $1200 for a 95% or better gun, and much less if its not a real clean piece. I'd also ask for a 5 day look with a full money back guarantee if the gun is anything less than the owner says it is. When buying used, its caveat emptor.

PS: Bill Hanus is the most expensive outlet for new 16 ga. Browning Citori guns. I'd shop elsewhere. You'll get a better deal if you do. Bill Hicks is the firm who is bringing in these new guns. I'd look to them for the name of one of their registered dealers near you. give them a call they are on the net.
DVR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:10 am  Reply with quote

thanks for the welcome and replies.

The gun is new in the box. I saw it in the styrofoam box tray so I did not look at the cardboard portion. i was told it was there and included. they guy is a dealer of belguim (sp) brownings and has this gun on consignment. he showed me something from the owner stating $1600 was the price for the gun. he even claims to be making nothing on the deal with the exception that the owner will likely buy another browning from him with the proceeds.
a close friend is an a-5 buff and knows the guy (several transactions with him over the years) he is a reputable dealer.

The gun is in new condition with the exception of some very light, difficult to see scratchs in the finish on the wood. the finish in not damaged and you cannot feel the marks with your fingernail. the gun has been assembled but not fired. i have seen similar marks on new guns for sale on dealers racks.

the upside to this gun is that I have seen it and like it. I can do a face to face private sale transaction. the price will be out the door. i will have no problem aquiring a new gun with the proper paperwork so a private sale is not a must.

i can live w/o the gun but a 16 citori will be my next purchase with any luck.

Thanks again for the help and insight.

I really felt like $1400 was a fair offer. I hate to let it slip away over $200 though.
DVR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:18 am  Reply with quote

btw- the gun in question looks like the grade one in the link above. it is all blued with no silver or gold.
the wood looks much better though.
Foursquare
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:48 am  Reply with quote

DVR wrote:
btw- the gun in question looks like the grade one in the link above. it is all blued with no silver or gold.
the wood looks much better though.

Maybe it's a Gran Lightning. In which case the asking price is good. They're not making any more Grans in the run due out this year.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
Birdawg
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:55 am  Reply with quote

Will they let you assemble and handle the gun? The handling and nice wood makes the difference to me. Most of the grade one lightnings feel dead to me. The feather lightnings seem very lively with a 28" barrel but only you can tell what works for you. Just my personal feeling but in today world $200 is 3 or 4 tanks of gas you might use looking for another one you like as well. Shocked

to be considered flaws or defects.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

Flat ask him what model it is and the lowest cash price he will accept----after you stick it together and see how it comes up-----don't forget to ask for a box or two of shells Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
DVR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
Flat ask him what model it is and the lowest cash price he will accept----after you stick it together and see how it comes up-----don't forget to ask for a box or two of shells Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

i think i know the answer already- $1600. i may try $1500 or wait for another to show up. i don't think he will be throwing in any shells. i have a couple of cases on hand in case it shows up at my house.
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:12 pm  Reply with quote

I agree, find out exactly what model it is. Assemble it, see how it fits. If you still are hot on it, buy it and don't look back. If it is by some chance a Gran Lightning, you are getting a very good deal. They were one of the most subtle and stylish Citoris ever made, and they are now gone. Investigate further but don't lose it over a couple hundred $.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:36 pm  Reply with quote

DVR-DAMN---Make him deal with you----------look it over--give it the eye roll,shoulder shrug and ask your buddy if the last one you saw didn't have nicer wood--------------------------------------------------and the price was a little lower-haggle with him brother--------He has what you may want but you definetly has what he wants----MONEY
DVR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:20 pm  Reply with quote

thanks for the advice everyone.
i will check the info on the box and assemble and shoulder it.
i know what will happen at that point. it will try to follow me home.
Grousen
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:33 pm  Reply with quote

DVR,
Just my two cents. I have a Citori Lightning Feather in 16 ga, 28" barrels, and absolutely love it. I paid $1400 for it two years ago, but then had shipping and a $30 FFL transfer fee. So say about $1450 total. As I said I love the way this gun shoots and carries, but it is a grade one and truly has grade one wood, plain grained and light colored wood.
Even if the one you are looking at is not a Gran Lightning, you said it has very nice wood, and 4 choke tubes. Mine only came with 3 choke tubes, so there's another $25.
The prices have gone way up on these guns, just look at Bill Hanus' site or even Carolina Arms. Even given that those are not the cheapest prices out there, these guns have still gone way up.
My two cents is this. If YOU like it, buy it now. If someone else scarfs it up before you do you will be just sick. And even if he makes a hundred more on it than some think he should, you will still have the gun you want with great wood !!!
Good luck.
chilly460
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:25 am  Reply with quote

If it's a Grade 1, he's a little high, I just purchased a brand new '04 White Lightning for $1450. He should have no problem going $1500, which is a fair compromise.