16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Circlefly Wad
Donato
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:52 pm  Reply with quote

When I order the 28ga card from Circlefly to fit in the SP16 wad do I order the over the powder card or over the shot card?
Will the SP 16 wad with the card filler pattern as well as the R16 with 1 oz loads. Do I use 2 of these cards if I want to load 7/8 oz loads in the Sp16 wad? Thank You
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

I use the overshot wad and see no deteriation in the pattern.The number you use will depend on how much shot you are actually dropping.It may even take three.I use the Universal bar and dial to exactly what I need.I have had excellent results with 3/4 oz loads when dropping to 5/8 oz in the 2 3/4 hull I experienced bloopers and blown patterns-best leave these to the 2 1/2 in hull.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

Donato, I hope you've not ordered the over shot wads; they are too thin @ .030" average. HOA got this one wrong. You want the .135" thick nitro over powder wads. Either the 28 ga or .50 cal nitro cards will work. They go into the shot cup before you drop the shot. all you are doing is taking up the extra space so you can set a good crimp on the shot.

The SP16 and R16 wads will pattern almost exactly alike. The filler card(s) in the shot cup will not effect patterns if its under the shot in the bottom of the cup and not on top.
Donato
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:55 am  Reply with quote

Thanks 16ga guy , I ordered the cards that are .125 thick. I hope these work. I was trying to buy a 1000 or so R16 wads to try but no luck. I think this solution will work. Will the SP16 wad with the filler card work just as well in the aussi made Win case for 1 oz loads? I have a bunch of the US made Win rabbit and squirrel loads cases which I believe are closer to the old AA case. I also have a bunch of the black Ren game load cases. Thanks for all the great info.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:47 am  Reply with quote

If the SP-16 wads are too loose in the new WW cheddite type or Fiocchi cases, simply use a small patch of one of the thicker polyethyene food storage bags over the bottom of the wad base. I use a square big enough to encompass the bottom of the wad base. I simply lay it on top of the wad guide, then push the wad base into the guide and seat as usual. This little trick neatly stops powder migration in hunting loads. I don't worry about my recreational target loads, so I'm only using about 50 patches every other year. Your ammo will be very uniform and will withstand the handling and such most hunting amo must. If you pre cut the plastic patches first in layers, the extra time reloading is minimal.

Once the powder ignites, the wad is foreshortened, plumps out, and plugs the case and bore regardless of the loose initial fit. so go ahead and use your SP16 wads in any case you choose. They are still one of the best wads going for 16 ga.. This trick also applies to R16 wads too.