16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  New member with question
JTM
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

I just recently, last week, signed up for this site....have enjoyed reading the excellent subject matter and exchange of ideas, especially concerning reloading for the 16 ga.
I'm getting geared up start reloading and have decided to use the Remington promo (black) hulls and S1 wad as the basic components.
My question centers around this black hull.
I intend to reload it in 3/4, 7/8 and 1 oz shot weights with some containing the Spred-R insert from Polywad.

What method(s) do you use for identifying the load components on each hull? Being black, use of the trusty "sharpy" marker will not cut the mustard.

If this subject has all ready been discussed, I missed it.

Again, great site.....looking forward to participating.

Thanks,

JTM
pezman1963
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:52 pm  Reply with quote

JTM wrote:
I just recently, last week, signed up for this site....have enjoyed reading the excellent subject matter and exchange of ideas, especially concerning reloading for the 16 ga.
I'm getting geared up start reloading and have decided to use the Remington promo (black) hulls and S1 wad as the basic components.
My question centers around this black hull.
I intend to reload it in 3/4, 7/8 and 1 oz shot weights with some containing the Spred-R insert from Polywad.

What method(s) do you use for identifying the load components on each hull? Being black, use of the trusty "sharpy" marker will not cut the mustard.

If this subject has all ready been discussed, I missed it.

Again, great site.....looking forward to participating.

Thanks,

JTM

Easiest way is to by boxes that are new from BP or Preciscion Reloading.
Make labels with the loading and seal the box the paper label and a glue stick.
I do gauge, size and type of shot, Hull, wads, powder charge, primer
and date it was loaded on mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Citori16
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:10 am  Reply with quote

I do the blank boxes as well with the same info.

For the shells I was using one type of shell for a specific type load...ie, Black Rem were Spred-R 7 1/2, Green Rem were Spred-R #9's, Win CF were #6.

You could write on the shell base with a sharpie...I used to mark Spred-R's with an X.

Sharpie does have metallic markers...silver would work for black hulls.

They also have little circular stickers you could put on the base.

Or, since you are using Spred-r's, you could try roll crimping and write on the wad.

Personally I would go with the metallic marker, otherwise get into some different shells.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:43 am  Reply with quote

Sort the different loads into seperate boxes and place a 1x2" white sticky label on the box lid with the load info on it. The factiory boxes are fine for this.

Id that S1 wad is the Gualaundi wad with the shallow shot cup, the Polywad insert won't work quite right. You would be wise to get some R16 or SP16 wads for your Poly wad loads. The deeper shot cups won't interfere with the stem when you insert it into the shot.
JTM
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:46 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. My main concern is how to keep track of the different loads in the field. I sometimes have two or three different load types in my vest during a day's hunt.
Also I made a mistake on the wad I intend to use......it will be the Remington R1. What a difference a letter makes!

JTM
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:41 pm  Reply with quote

JTM I have not had your problem because I limit my hunting loads to just 4.

Winchester Compression Formed 8 = 1 ounce of 7s.
Winchester Compression Formed 6 = 1 1/8th ounce of copper 6s.
Federal case = 1 1/8th ounce of 5s.
Remington Black = 7/8th ounce of 7 1/2s.

However, I forsee the day when I may want to add some special purpose loads and have thought how I would mark them. I was looking at some old Winchester roll crimped cartridges and the ansewer came to me.

Soo I got out the trusty old 1/2 inch diameter stirup punch, the one I use to make my filler wads with and cut out some discs from self adhesive data labels. I can then mark them with anything I desire and they fit perfectly into the crimp end of the round.

The backing was a bit difficult to remove from the disc but with the limited numbers you will probably use it is a workable solution and they look cool besides.