16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  A5 and steel shot
rdja
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:15 am  Reply with quote

I have read here not to use steel or very hard shot in a Belgium A5.
What year can one safely assume it is OK to us steel shot?? Is there a place one could find such a barrel? I want to use my Sweet more for duck hunting but do not have a very good supply of Nice Shot. I would like to throw less expensive steel loads at a cripple for example.
jschultz
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:28 am  Reply with quote

When steel shot was required in Federal hunting areas, I bought and shot steel with with my A5 full choke with no negative effects to the barrel. Later when steel shot became mandatory I learned that it was not recommended by Browning. It may be possible to get a barrel for steel from Browning.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:36 am  Reply with quote

You can shoot steel through any of the screw choked Hastings barrels for an A5. I haven't seen new barrels for a while, but, they turn up used on the auction sites.

Best,
Ted

DanLee
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:29 pm  Reply with quote

The general consensus is that steel shouldn't be shot through Belgium barrel. However, I have a Sweet with a Poly-Choke and have shot steel through it for years. No sign of scouring or bulges yet. I keep the choke setting on Modified or looser.

Dan
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:11 am  Reply with quote

Are you original owner and know for certain the choke in the muzzle is the same as the choke designation stamped on the barrel? Assuming fixed choke; what is the actual choke restriction inside the muzzle of the barrel?

long story short; if its Cyl-Skt2 ~0.00"-0.012" restriction you SHOULD be able to run steel through it w/no ill affects. The inertia recoil is taking the brunt of the force off the old furniture so the wood should be fine.

another idea; have your godson who is shooting 12ga and is a bit trigger happy do the clean-up and buy him a box of steel 3" 1 1/8" #3's to perform the mop up Rolling Eyes Very Happy it works for me Very Happy your results may vary....

fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:33 am  Reply with quote

It is my understanding that you should never shoot steel shot through any belgium made barrel . I've heard and seen some pictures that the problem being it causes the choke section of the barrel to bulge. Any of the Jap barrels should be ok for steel , either fixed or invector , full chokes being the exception. Polys may be ok , but I personally wouldn"t take chance on ruining my belgium barrel . Invector barrels turn up on some the auction sites every once in awhile but can be pricey.
XVI'er
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:49 pm  Reply with quote

Ask Browning Arms for the true story. Wink

popplecop
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:06 am  Reply with quote

I shoot steel through a Belgian Browning 2000 with Briley steel tubes without any problem at all. Prior owner had both the 2.75" and 3" barrels tubed. In my A5s I use either Bismuth or Kent Matrix, luckily I bought alot of both on sale years back.