16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Shopping for a used 16 ga.
300hnh
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:50 am  Reply with quote

I am looking for peoples' experience and opinions on some used 16 ga guns. First a little background.

I already have two 16 gauges; an Ithaca 37, 26 inch with a mod choke, and a Wards Western Field (Mossberg) pump with 26 inch barrel and a poly-choke. The Wards is quite a bit heavier than the Ithaca, but the extra weight takes up the recoil and my oldest daughter enjoys shooting and hunting with it. The Ithaca is my older boys. Both guns are great on doves, pigeons, pheasants and sporting clays.

I am looking for a 16 for me. I have looked at several Remingtons on the different gun sale/auction sites. Among the models I have seen are the model 11 semi auto, 1100 semi auto and a newer 870 with the Rem choke barrel.

Any ideas or other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

300hnh
"My insurance company - why Holland and Holland of course!"
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:52 am  Reply with quote

This thread should get some fireworks flying for the 4th Laughing You might share your plans for intended use of the 16-your go to all around birds and clays whacker? waterfowl? how much do you want to spend? (and do your boys REALLY want to go to college? Wink)

(Thanks 300hnh-the Forum was getting kinda quiet since ol' 16gg got his self stifled Rolling Eyes)

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:01 pm  Reply with quote

Rev, I was going to suggest he buy one with the same name as his home town. Wink
300hnh
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:37 pm  Reply with quote

LOL That's all I need is to bring home a Parker shotgun.

The price I'm looking at is $500 and under. Nothing too fancy. Just a good all around gun. The 2 we have work very nicely and get used mostly for upland game.

The store where I use to buy Kent Tungston-matrix shells went out of business so duck hunting got put on the back burner.

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:59 pm  Reply with quote

300hnh: It did take Dave M a few years to convince his wife that his son would receive JUST as good an education at the local community college as Michigan-if your son and daughter (and good for you getting her out shooting!) aren't too old you STILL might have a shot at a Parker Laughing

Last edited by revdocdrew on Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:14 pm  Reply with quote

$500.00 pretty much limits you to a Reminton 870 Express in a new repeater. However, you still have some great options on the used marker. I have seen some very clean Model 12s go in the $300 - $400 range some very nice Ithica 37s in the $300 - $350 range. I haven't been watching the Reminton 870 and 1100 prices but I would guess that there are some clean older used Remintons floating around for less than $500.00.

If you want a double gun there are a few Fox BSE floating around but prices for them are going up.

If you can squeze a couple more dollars lose there are some pretty nice double available from CZ and DeHaan.

Looking is half the fun.
87016ga
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:30 pm  Reply with quote

300hnh:
check gunbroker and auction arms as well as gunsamerica websites. there are plenty of good condition wingmasters and 1100's floating around. of course i'm biased being a long time rem user, but i love my 2003 16 wingmaster. by the way, twicebarrel, when was the last time you priced 870 expresses? $500!!!!!! is that what you pay for them in kansas??????

as far as kent t/m ammo go to ballistic products, bass pro shops or the above mentioned websites for this......great stuff
Haiwee
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:50 pm  Reply with quote

Other guns to look for on GunsAmerica, Gunbroker and AuctionArms are Lefever Nitro Specials (should be in the $450.00 to $500.00 range) or Hunter Arms L.C. Smith Field Grades (again, around $500.00). Unlike the Remingtons, these classic guns are on size-specific frames. If you want a repeater, I'd stick with either the M12 or, my preference, the M37. If you want to shoot ducks with any of these great old guns you can use Bismuth safely.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:11 pm  Reply with quote

Might review the 'Buying a classic SxS' thread:
http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=969
Very easy to make a $500 mistake.
I like TBs idea, you have two fun 16g pumps. Why not move up to a new Spartan, CZ, or used Sissytori?

300hnh
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

SxS are nice but I don't really want one. What was that I heard - a collective gasp over the internet! Laughing Sorry guys.

I am looking for a repeater; pump or semi auto. I have seen several on the internet. Does anyone have any experience with the Remington model 1100s? Are they a good gun?

Like Haiwee, I like the ithaca M37. In fact I found a new one on an auction site. 28' barrel with the interchangable choke tubes. As I recall, the new Ithaca 16 ga guns were made with steel proof barrels.

Were the Remington model: 11, 48 and 11-48 built on a 16 ga frame?
I have an old model 11 in 12 ga. It is heavy enough to double as an anchor in moderate seas! Laughing

I'll take a look at the Spartans, CZs and the Sissytori.

Thanks,

3DocPop
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:16 pm  Reply with quote

I have a 16 ga Spartan OU. I like it, but don't think it is really an upland gun because of its weight. Built on 12 ga frame, and WAY over 7 lbs - if memory serves, pretty close to 8. Probably better for the range, where the weight helps with felt recoil.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

87016ga I am sure we would pay significantly less than $500.00 for an 870 Express if we were inclined to buy one. As noted I don't keep track of the prices of Remintons.

Last edited by Twice Barrel on Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

Well, out here in wild and wooly Kansas, where the men are men and the sheep are nervous, 1100's used to be about as good a gun as you could get. Back when I was shootin' dad's old Savage 775 in 16ga (a damned good gun, by the way) my bros-in-law (who worship at the idolatrous (sp?) altar of the 12 ga) killed a whole bunch of roosters with 1100's, man and boy. Now, they've all got Browning Gold Hunters (maybe a good gun, but man, THEY UGLY!!!!). But before I saw the light of the sxs, I was in line for one of them 1100's. Thankfully, it never came to pass. If you gotta shoot mechanical action shotguns, I reckon you could do worse. (Rev, can I get an AMEN!!??)

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:31 pm  Reply with quote

Amen Fin-but I'd suggest an A-5 would be right up there with 1100s for a classic Kansas pheasant gun AND a well used but not abused Sweet 16 might be had for $500. Just be sure it has a 2 and 3/4 chamber.
You might check this thread also re: 16s on 16 frames. The 11-48 was, the 1100 is not.
http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=562

XVIgauge
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:43 pm  Reply with quote

I agree w/ 3docpop. The Spartan is a good gun for the money. I have a 28 ga that weighs a tad under 7 pounds, but it balances so well I don't notice the weight. A 16 w/ 26" barrels should not weigh too much, though it might. You would just have to handle one to see if you like it.
XVI