16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Shopping for a used 16 ga.
300hnh
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:16 pm  Reply with quote

This has been a real education, thanks!

One question to show my lack of knowledge: What is the differance between a Browning A-5 and a Sweet Sixteen? Or is it the same gun just called by 2 different names?

I have seen quite a few of them as well. Were the A-5 and/or the Sweet Sixteen built on a 16 ga frame?

nossman
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:33 pm  Reply with quote

Last December, I bought a new Wingmaster 16ga. with a 28" barrel and screw-in chokes for $400, including tax, state fee's, etc. Local shop had two of them in the back in unopend boxes, sitting on the shelf collecting dust. They did not have one on display and were marked down because they were not selling. Like all 870's, it's built on a 12ga. frame. With the light contour barrel, it weighs in at a shade over 7 lbs. With the addition of a Briley skeet choke, it makes for a sweet range gun! The 12ga. frame helps to absorb the recoil pretty nicely.
Last Sunday, my brother & I saw (in the same shop) a new 870 Express 16ga. with a 28" barrel and decent light colored wood, for $219. Guy behind the counter said that between July & Dec, they have a Remington $30 mail in rebate, and the gun would most likely be on sale in a couple of weeks. My brother is looking to pick this gun up new, for less than $200 out the door, including tax, state fee's, etc. (after the mail in rebate).

Last month. I picked up (from this board) an ever so slightly used Verona (F.A.I.R.) LX501 O/U in 16ga. with 28" barrels and screw-in chokes, for $600. The gun has an engraved silver receiver and nice wood. It's built on a 16ga. frame and weighs in at 6 3/4 lbs. The fit and finish of the wood & metal is excellent. This is my first doublegun and she feels perfect between the hands, shoulders effortlessly, and fits like a glove.

Take your time and shop around. There are some good deals out there.
87016ga
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:15 am  Reply with quote

now you went and did it Exclamation how dare you expound on the virtues of shooting a 16 on the 12 frame Shocked 16gg is going to really spin his wheels when he reads that Twisted Evil

p.s. where did you get your skt choke? is it flush mount or extended? how much?
thx, matt
nossman
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:42 am  Reply with quote

Laughing I'm like'n the 16ga guns (inculding my Wingmaster on a 12ga frame), bought a Verona vs. a Citori. I also drive a Jeep with square head lights that's sprung over and has a Ford rear axle. I am the Red Headed step child Twisted Evil

It's a good gun, and I love it for what it is. Now, my borther & I are off to the range to feed some shells through it & the Verona.

pm sent on the choke tube.

On the Citori White Lightning. About two months ago, I was bidding on a used White Lightning. I stopped bidding when the price went to $1,300. It would have cost me another hundred or so to have it shipped and pay the state fee's. Brought the price too close to the cost of a new gun. That was also when I fell for the F.A.I.R.'s.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:17 pm  Reply with quote

The difference between a standard A-5 16ga and a Sweet Sixteen is about half a pound. The standard 16 also weighs about half a pound less than the standard 12, so I'm guessing it too is on a 16ga frame. Not sure what Browning did to reduce weight on the Sweet 16. But according to Browning, the standard 16 will average about 7 1/4, the Sweet 16 about 6 3/4.
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:23 pm  Reply with quote

Keep shopping Wink

I have purchased and added to my small arsenal for under $500 in 16 ga in the last 3 years:

AYA Matador $300
Fox BSE $400
Browning A5 $135 (26 inch IC matted barrel - slays the sporting clay birds)

Also bought last year a new Remington 1100 "Classic Field" in 16 for $537 (don't start on me gentlemen Wink - I know it is a 12 ga frame and it IS heavy, but it IS AWESOME as a trap gun) Cool By the way, a 12 ga shell catcher fits it perfectly!

good luck....

Dr. 16 Gauge
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:14 pm  Reply with quote

A fellow shooter who is one of the skeet instructors at Culver Military Academy told me today that an alumni donated to their club, a Sweet 16 A-5, supposedly in beautiful shape but with a Cutts Compensator. The club would sell it for $750 he says. Since it has the Cutts I'm not interested, but that does give you another idea of values out there. I don't know the gun's age or what the barrel length is..

nutcase
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:28 pm  Reply with quote

300hnh

I was at the Gander Mountain in Aurora, CO today. They had a new Remington 1100 Classic in 16 ga on the clearance rack. Price $599.99. Perhaps you could talk them down.
Pleasant Ridge
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:10 pm  Reply with quote

if weight is not an issue then either the wingmaster or the 1100 are fine choices. However if you plan to hunt, these guns tend to become heavy. I have a 20 gauge wingmaster that is a fabulous gun however it out-weighs any of my 16's and a couple of my 12's
300hnh
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

Nutcase and Nossman,

I made it to Gander Mtn today and looked at the 1100. I walked around and checked out the other gun racks and saw no other 16 ga's. I went back to where the 1100 was and noticed the 2 guns next to it had smaller diameter barrels than the 12 ga guns in the rack. There they were 2 Rem. 870s in 16 ga with the 26 inch barrel. Both guns were in the mat finish with synthetic stocks. Remington made a run of these when they first brought back the 16 ga, so the guns are probably 3 or 4 years old. Now for the price: $279.95. I had to read both tags several times to make sure I wasn't dreaming! I just might be back to get one it nothing else pans out.

I also emailed Stoger and told them that I would like one of their Condor O/U if it came with choke tubes. Who knows maybe if enough people drop the hint they might do it.

hunshatt
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:50 am  Reply with quote

Which Gander Mt(address) and will you get anoyed if I order one ? I know it isn't up to the standards set by by merkel, but it a darn site better than the clunker worlings rev is trying to foist on us.

Tim
300hnh
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:07 am  Reply with quote

hunshatt,

I sent a PM to you with the Gander Mtn info.

TJC
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:41 am  Reply with quote

huns,
What the heck are you going to do with an 870? You don't know how to shuck no shells, do ya? Very Happy

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:51 pm  Reply with quote

TJC you are tight with Thudd.

Give him a glass of his usual cheap Scotch and a Rum Cured Crook, that he is so fond of, and maybe he will forget about an 870.

On second thought this may be a match made in heaven.
300hnh
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:26 am  Reply with quote

I got a Remington 870 Express, 16ga with 28 inch barrel. Click the below link to see the gun.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?item=52188859

Thanks to everyone for their input!