16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  took Ms. Elsie out ot the range today - she treated me right
bustingclays
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

Day off (Dean let me out) and I went out to shoot some skeet at the club after dropping the BOSS off at St. Louis International for a trip to the mom-in-laws.

Loaded some 7/8 ounce remington hulls for the special round with Ms. Elsie last night after the Cardinals lost (taken out the frustrations Rolling Eyes ). Shot the first round of skeet this am with the SKB 385 and 20 ga barrels - missed the first bird out Embarassed Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad and then ran em.

Picked up Ms. Elsie after first round and shot a high and low bird with mod/full barrels at station 4 - dropped em both. Decided to shoot a full round and was well pleased - missed 4 birds (3 with full choke barrel). SMOKED some others. Was told when I bought gun (and determined at purchase) that lever spring is not too strong. Twice while shooting singles it started to come loose. I have already ordered TWO more from Numrich.

Will definitely ream out chambers slightly - tight. I have also decided to have forcing cones lengthened.

My major indecision is chokes - thinking ic and light mod so I can shoot skeet and hunt with gun (for quail and close pheasants). In the sissytoris I shoot light mod and light full when I hunt. Maybe Briley for thin-walls. hmmmm...

opinions...... (I'm sure you have them Wink )....

All in all a GREAT day with an old gun - looking forward to many more.

Dr. 16 Gauge
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

Well since you are stuck with it-----reckon the thin walls might be the way to go-too bad they all don't have Browning on the barrels huh Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Well, we all live and learn Wink Cool
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:43 pm  Reply with quote

Glad you got to enjoy the new gun and had a fun 4th brother!
re: chokes. You're probably never going to be shooting Fiocchi GPs out that sweet old gun and you've got several pheasant whackers. Make it your fun 7/8 oz skeet and light load preserve bird gun with Sk1/Sk2-you'll use it more that way. And maybe give Hal Hare and his M-21 a run at the next International skeet shoot Very Happy

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:33 am  Reply with quote

IC & LM is a good all around choice. Open enough for close work and fine for hunting shots 15-30 yards. You don't need tight chokes for good patterns sometimes more open chokes pattern better at longer ranges than tight chokes. The shot seems to flow better with less damage to the individual pellets.The patterning board will tell the tale.