16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  O\U tang safety and barrel selector switch
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:57 am  Reply with quote

Ted, Laughing Laughing Laughing . I also politely open my gun when encountering another group of hunters, or if things start to get crowded as they sometimes do. I mentioned it early on in this verbal shoot out. Laughing That is one of the reasons I like a break open gun for hunting as much as I do. I also open the action of a repeater, but it is not as convenient nor as obvious to others. However, once past the group or out of the crowd, the gun goes into battery and the safety gets flicked back on.

Larry, believe me, it would take about a month for me to figure out what in heck I'd have gotten myself into with a British gun. By then, I'm pretty sure the seller would have assumed the deal closed. Laughing But I have to hand it to you for tenacity. However, Ted has about as much chance of talking me into a French slider as you do of selling me on a British gun with short pants chambers. Laughing

As for what happens when a group like Ted has discribed convenes, the best thing to do is grab a pint, duck under a table, and take in the show. We all have our little quirks and can be fun to watch. Laughing
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:04 pm  Reply with quote

Yup, opening the gun when you encounter another hunting party is good manners and quite safe. Harder to do with one of those slidy French things, because while they open fine, they don't break nicely over the crook of one's arm.

Guy, the Brits pretty much perfected the double, well over 100 years ago--even if they did get the "shooting flying" idea from the French, going back to black powder days. So you wouldn't find anything at all unusual about a Brit gun--certainly less so than a Darne or other oddities.Smile And you have plenty of qualified gunsmiths (including Mike Orlen) in your neck of the woods to take a look-see at the gun for you, tell you whether you got a good one or a crapper. In that respect, you're in far better shape than I am.

As for Cabela's, Ted, they sell a whole lot of guns less pricey than new Darnes. And I like to give credit to people who stand behind what they sell, new or used. Had a stock break on a Greener I bought from them, and had every confidence in the world they'd give me my money back. However, they offered me the option of a refund or a new stock, at no cost. Try that with Joe Blow at the local gun show. Or for that matter, with a whole lot of dealers.

As to accidents . . . no Ted, I have not seen all that many. Have never seen anyone shot afield, as happened to a couple famous writers up your way in the grouse woods. But when you go to a shoot, you're going to be around a whole bunch of people you don't know, in all likelihood. Fortunately, very few accidents happen on shooting ranges (as national statistics demonstrate), because if a representative of the facility itself is not around to enforce the rules, most shooters I've encountered are quick enough with safety reminders, should someone have a lapse. However, if you wish to remain a hermit, that's your choice.Smile And it's either a loss--or not--to those that might want to try out one of those weird Frenchies you peddle.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:37 pm  Reply with quote

Larry,
Ah, don't you grow tired of being wrong? To wit, Mr. Brown, I peddle NOTHING. I can order a Darne for someone, but, that someone will have to come to me to start the process. Word of mouth is the most honest advertising, and it's all I use.

A stark contrast to those you associate with, I'm afraid. I might point out anyone who runs an ad for guns new or used in the Gunlist, Double Gun Journal, Shooting Sportsman, etc. (including, little old you, or, little old me) will give you pretty much the same no questions asked money back 3 day privledge, new or used. Why don't you tell us who else has ever been offered a restock from Cabelas?

I just tossed a hardcover "collectors edition" catalog from Cabelas in the trash that I'd wager it's a short list indeed-maybe one guy. From Iowa. Who they knew better than to leave holding the bag.

Do collect us a few more tales of mayhem, and personal injury from those shoots you frequent-they make for interesting and entertaining reading! But, remember, intercepting sears or not, a fool (as in loaded, broken, unattended gun) is a poor shooting partner.

You may want to note that the sling that comes on a Darne allows the muzzle to be pointed a safe direction (safer than where the barrels point on a gun carried in the crook of an arm) while the action is closed or open, and frees up one's hands for control of the dog, meeting strangers, taking the bird from the dog, or, whatever. It takes a bit more coordination, and, intelligence to be proficient with it, but, it is as plain as day. Also, some folks slide that breech off their Darne (takes one second), and pocket it, or store it separately, or even locked, away from the gun in their home, leaving the gun inoperable, and, safer. Again, you have to think to realize this, but, it is pretty effective.

Watch that muzzle when its in the crook of your arm.

Cheers.
Best,
Ted
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:25 am  Reply with quote

Ted, at times you're a real hoot. You rail about expensive guns, but are kind enough to "help" people order a new Darne--guns that are significantly overpriced, compared to used versions of the same available on the market. (And note, Ted, before you get all hot and bothered, that criticism is not aimed exclusively at Darnes. I'd also advise a potential buyer to look hard at the used market before ordering a new Purdey, or for that matter any British "best".) And as far as word of mouth and Darnes are concerned, probably a whole half dozen or so people in this country would even know what they are, were it not for the coverage they've received from those gun writers you admire so much.Smile

As for who else has been offered a restock at Cabela's, I don't know anyone else who's had a stock break on them. I do know a number of people who've returned guns to Cabela's for a full refund, long after the 3 or 5 or 7 day "inspection period" commonly allowed in DGJ, Gun List, etc.

Accidents I've seen . . . let's see, I've been shooting skeet since about 1971. I shoot a couple times a week, at two different clubs, during the off season. About the only sporting clays shoots I ever attend are those mainly aimed at doublegun shooters (although I have never been to the Vintagers). In all that time, although I've seen a few accidental discharges, other than in the one case I related previously, no one has ever been harmed--because, thanks to gun safety practices, the muzzle was always pointed in a safe direction. And I have never seen anyone shot in the field, nor any gun-related injuries. So my "tales of mayhem", unfortunately, wouldn't even make a very long article.

The first "classic" double I ever owned was a pre-war Sauer, equipped with sling swivels. I carried it with sling attached, most of the time, for the 20 or so years I hunted with it. Decent idea, slings, but not terribly popular except on European guns. And as for watching the muzzle with a gun that's in the crook of one's arm . . . yes, I suppose that's a potential danger, should one decide to pick one's nose with the crooked, gun-toting arm, and should the gun somehow close by itself, should the safe come off, and should something then grab the triggers.

Fairy tales can come true, it can happen to you . . . Smile