16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Beretta 626E 20 ga. side by side
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:29 pm  Reply with quote

I would appreciate any information anyone could give me about this side by side. It is a Beretta 626E, in 20 gauge, with 28" barrels and an aftermarket Briley choke in the right barrel. The choke tube that's in it is IC and I'm told a skeet choke tube is also available. The left barrel is a straight modified choke. The gun has a pistol grip and tasteful black rubber recoil pad. There is a bird on the top of the action lever but it doesn't appear to be a hawk. There are no major nicks or dings in wood or metal.

This gun is in 96-97% original condition, handles nicely and the wood to metal fit is very good. Quality appears to be very good. The wood is straight-grained but is a nice rich brown color. The serial number on the gun is A37834A.

A reputable area dealer is offering this gun for sale at a price of $1,800. Would anyone be able to tell me when it was made, what does the "E" designate, and approximately what it might be worth? THANKS !!

bustingclays
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Wolfchief:

here is what my 26th BlueBook states:

Model 625 - 12 or 20 ga, 26-30 inch barrels, various chokes, boxlock, extractors, DTs or SST, light engraving, checkered straight stock, imported 1984-86

Last MSR $835

100% $1050, 90% $775

add 50% for 20 ga, add 15% for sst

Model 626 - 12 or 20 ga (disc. 1987), 26 and 28 inch barrels, various chokes, boxlock, ejectors, single trigger, moderate engraving, pistol grip or straight checkered stock, imported 1984-86

Last MSR $995

100% $1450, 90% $795

add 35% for 20 ga.

I don't see an E model, but I bet it is Ejectors...

good luck.....

Dr. 16 Gauge
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:41 pm  Reply with quote

bustingclays: Thanks very much---the "ejectors" makes sense. That is a lot more information than I had; thanks again !

hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:49 pm  Reply with quote

Hmmm--I would contact Briley just to make sure this is not some obscure choke size/thread---just a thought--I am not familiar with that gun or care to be----give me a Model 12 and a Colt Woodsman to spend the day with Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:51 pm  Reply with quote

Look on the choke and see if it has Series 3 on it. This will help Briley supply additional thin wall chokes. I have a couple 20g Beretta SxS with chokes done by Briley. They are pretty straight forward. The 626E may not be a 16g but it is a nice SxS.
Best,
Ron
David
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:08 am  Reply with quote

Wolfchief, I have a 20 ga. 626E, and the E stands for ejectors. Mine is 26" barrels imp.cyl/mod, semi-beavertail forend, straight stock, oil finish, no recoil pad, single selective trigger, chopper-lump barrels, 3" chambers, engine turned on water tables of barrels and receiver, engraved with a coin finish, and I believe it is a partridge on the top of the lever. My serial number is lower than yours A34844A. Beautiful gun, well made and light. Bought it brand new in the 80's. Good luck if you get it and I know you will enjoy it.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:12 am  Reply with quote

gunsamerica.com is always a good place to check market prices. Don't know how many 626's you'll find, but compare to the prices on 20ga 470's, which was basically the Beretta sxs that replaced the 626. Price sounds somewhat high to me, but used Berettas tend to hold their value. However, the choke tube in one barrel--while it doesn't hurt the gun's value as a "shooter"--should make it worth less from a resale standpoint.

The 626's were imported from the mid-80's to the mid-90's. If you want a more specific date, the gun will carry a two letter date code starting with either an A or a B. If you find that and want to know the exact date, just post it here.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:37 am  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
give me a Model 12 and a Colt Woodsman to spend the day with

Hoa,

Can't agree on the model 12, but sure agree on the Woodsman! Mine is a 1937 First Series Sport; whatcha got?

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:27 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the tips----as to the Woodsman, don't know what HOA's got but I have a 6" Match Target 99% (3rd Issue), a 4" Match Target 100% unfired with box/papers (3rd issue), a 6" woodsman Target(3rd issue) a Colt Targetsman that's 99.5%(Accro sights not Elliason) and another Colt 6" Target that I shoot all the time; it's very accurate and likes those cheap Federal std. velocity .22's you can buy at Wal-Mart for $9/brick. I have shot rabbits and squirrels with it. Years ago I used to shoot a 6" Colt Match Target in an Intramural bullseye pistol league and I used it the year my partner and I won the league high award......

fin2feather
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:29 am  Reply with quote

Nice collection, Chief! Didn't mean to hijack your Beretta thread! I only have the one but it's a honey; as you say. accurate as all get out, even when I shoot it Smile ! Almost bought a 6" Target when I bought my Sport; I just like their looks, but figured the Sport model is handier. Am kinda partial to the first series guns. Not anything much more fun than a .22, pistol or rifle (Winchester 61; just one rifle in my cabinet too Crying or Very sad )!

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:25 am  Reply with quote

fin---I'm right there with you on the Colt and Winchester .22's ! I have a Model 61 too; the previous owner sighted it in right and it's a great squirrel gun. I have a Model 69 that my Grandfather bought in 1940 and it is still my primary .22 rifle; I don't want to shoot a lot with the nice Winchesters I have stumbled onto over the years. This spring at a local gunshow I ran into an older guy who sold me his pre-war Winchester Model 62 pump. It is in .22 short only configuration, with the small "corncob" forend, and is in about 97% original condition, made in 1936.

I did a little reseach on the Winchester Collectors' site and found that only 3% of the more than 412,000 Model 62's made were configured in .22 short only....once in awhile, the blind sow finds an acorn......Your Woodsman Sport is one of the best and handiest in the Woodsman line, in my opinion; and the 1st issues are very collectible ! Enjoy yours in good health.