16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Shipping guns to a FFL dealer
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:31 pm  Reply with quote

Is there a "preferred carrier" to use when shipping a gun to a FFL holder during a transfer? Any special packaging tips?

Thanks!

Matt
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:25 pm  Reply with quote

I like US Postal Service using PS Form 1508

They do not mess with a Postal Service Inspector

http://about.usps.com/forms/ps1508.pdf

This can only be used by a sending FFL

Fun reading
http://appsandroidterbaru.com/pdf/ps-form-1508-statement-by-shipper-of-firearms/

Mike

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:31 pm  Reply with quote

Some prefer US Postal Service, some UPS. I don't recall hearing much, if anything, favorable about Fed Ex.
The insurance one gets through the Postal Service pays in the event of loss. The private carriers' insurance has the reputation of jerking you around.
If the other end of the transaction tries some shenanigans with the transaction, there's the opportunity to get the Postal Police involved investigating mail fraud, which is more than the private carriers have or will do.

If I were shipping, I'd break the gun down into the shortest possible package, i.e., barrel(s) off, even in a hard case. I'd make sure it was a stiff as possible, to prevent breakage. I'd include an extra copy of the documentation - bill of sale, FFL, cover letter - in the case, attached to the gun (tape), just in case something happened. I'd track the package.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:23 pm  Reply with quote

FED EX just took care on mine likety split - no problems !

Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:25 pm  Reply with quote

I guess carriers are different depending on where you live. Here in Cheyenne, I prefer Fed Ex, never a hassle with them, UPS; depends on who the clerk is, they can be a real PITA.

Have never tried the USPS, scares me to think of them. Wink

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:23 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't shipped or received any guns lately, but when CP Donnelly was in business I had several going back and forth via UPS and never a problem. He only had one stolen: a gun he was shipping to his brother, but I don't know if it was UPS or USPS.
sneem
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:43 pm  Reply with quote

There is a variety of opinion on this. In my experience USPS is the easiest. As long as its a long gun, there is no issue. I go to the local post office, tell them the gun is broken down and off it goes. I've heard bad experiences with both FedEx and UPS where you have to go to a regional distribution center because the local agencies and shops handling their business won't take guns. Just my experience.
I've shipped and recieved several guns without issue.

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:16 am  Reply with quote

i've never hard a problem with the USPS. It helps that I personally know our small town postmaster, so never that front end hassle. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've shipped a lot of firearms and fishing poles and have never needed a claim. I can't say the same for my experience with UPS.
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:19 am  Reply with quote

My local ups guy makes me have an ffl if I am not shipping to the manufacturer. He thinks Pat Laib makes guns!

Reno

CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:49 am  Reply with quote

Sounds like the USPS is the way to go. Just a little trepidation trusting an operation that loses (pick a number) $ billions per year.

But I guess if they're that loose with the change there's no problem coughing up the insurance $$ if something happens!

Matt
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:43 am  Reply with quote

CitoriFeather16 wrote:
Sounds like the USPS is the way to go. Just a little trepidation trusting an operation that loses (pick a number) $ billions per year.

But I guess if they're that loose with the change there's no problem coughing up the insurance $$ if something happens!

Matt

Actually, I don't think the post office loses that much per year. My guess is that it's like Social Security and other government agencies involved with getting money/giving services; they become the whipping boy for the politicians and the source of funds to be used elsewhere under the guise of losing it. It's the federal government and it is "governed" by politicians, which translates to: you can't believe anything the management says about the agency.
cowdoc87
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:37 pm  Reply with quote

Usps ran over a gun being shipped to me and failed to honor the insurance.They have a list from A to Z and AA to double ZZ for reasons they do not have to honor a claim. Broke me of ever sending anything through usps again.
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:28 pm  Reply with quote

cowdoc87 wrote:
Usps ran over a gun being shipped to me and failed to honor the insurance.They have a list from A to Z and AA to double ZZ for reasons they do not have to honor a claim. Broke me of ever sending anything through usps again.
Broke me too, brother in arms. Reno

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:45 am  Reply with quote

CitoriFeather16 wrote:

Matt

Their "losses" are a matter of Congress having written a law which requires the Postal Service to fund its expected retirement expenses for something like the next 75 years, in advance. This provision is unique to the Postal Service. So they have to put piles of money into future retirees' benefits and there's the source of the "losses".

It may interest you to know that one of the senators behind that proposal - oops, law - now is out of office, having retired. Among his lobbying clients are/were some of the private delivery services (e.g., UPS, FedEx...). Rolling Eyes If you ask me, another motivating factor is the amount of high-priced center-city real estate the Postal Service currently owns. This, in the politicians' mind, is something which could be sold by the government for a song to connected developers who could then flip it for huge profits, were the Postal Service ever to go out of business.
rdja
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:59 pm  Reply with quote

I had a UPS clerk be rude to me demanding an FFL to ship a gun to repair, NOT a transfer. Told me she would lose her job. I tired to explain the law to her but she kept telling me it was their policy. I found out later she was wrong, fortunately the guy I was sending it to had an FFL so he sent them a copy.
I have used USPS every other time with no issues. The last time the lady at the counter asked her supervisor about it, and when I explained the law, the supervisor, said sounds like he knows what he is talking about. And took the package, plus they kind of know me there, so that helps.
I have heard it is next to impossible to collect from any carriers insurance.