16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Pardner Ranger?
irishthunder50
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

[URL=http://s894.photobucket.com/user/bigntasty50/media/guns/Vgghhfddhj_zpsp2zcp1ig.jpg.html] [/URL]
URL=http://s894.photobucket.com/user/bigntasty50/media/guns/Bggfdfghhy_zps0hrvvksd.jpg.html] [/URL]
URL=http://s894.photobucket.com/user/bigntasty50/media/guns/Ggffhjjf_zpsa27y8guy.jpg.html] [/URL]
URL=http://s894.photobucket.com/user/bigntasty50/media/guns/GgGym%20uhh%20fr_zpssmu6hygk.jpg.html] [/URL]
I am talking to a fellow right now about trading into a 16ga SxS. Says it is a pardner ranger but I have not been able to find out much about it. Was wondering if anyone on here could give me more info on it as well as a value. I.E. choke constriction and barrel length.

[/img]
irishthunder50
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

[URL=http://s894.photobucket.com/user/bigntasty50/media/guns/GF2f%20uh%20hffg_zpsuywatqky.jpg.html] [/URL]

It has CB branded into the stock and says Pat. April 1915 on the reciever.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:36 pm  Reply with quote

The receiver profile is definitely Stevens; not sure of the model though.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
irishthunder50
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:40 pm  Reply with quote

Yes. I thought it looked very similar to my springfield 5100. Any idea on a value?
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:31 pm  Reply with quote

Well, in my humble opinion guns like this this are worth a lot more than the prices they bring. If you have a 5100 you already know they're good solid guns, not fancy of course. but they definitely do the job. I'd guess $200 - 300 depending on condition.

I don't know what the seller is talking about with the Pardner part, but Ranger was a name used by Sears Roebuck for guns made by various makers. From the photo it looks like 28" barrels which should have F/M chokes; if the barrels are 26" they'd likely be different but forget what designation 26" usually are.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
byrdog
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:00 am  Reply with quote

I have one and I payed $95.00 for it. It seems a bit heavy but the balance is nice and It will make a rainy day a hunting day.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Researcher
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:43 am  Reply with quote

Apr. 20, 1915, refers to the patent date of Patent No. 1,136,247 granted to G.S. Lewis and assigned to the J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. of Chicopee Falls, Mass. This patent covers a hammerless double with coil-spring driven strikers, rather than internal hammers rotating about an axle. From the time of the patent until the Mid-1930s this action was used on a number of different Stevens, Riverside and Springfield doubles as well as many marked with a variety of "trade names." The gun of this design was introduced in 12- and 16-gauge as the Riverside No. 315 in the J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. Catalogue No. 54, with a list price of $16.50. The plants of the J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. were taken over by, as I recall, New England Westinghouse for wartime production during WW-I, and became J. Stevens Arms Co. Sometime after The Great War they were sold off to Savage Arms Corp. and continued to operate as J. Stevens Arms Co., a wholly owned subsidiary of Savage Arms Corp. J. Stevens Arms Co. continued to make this gun during the 1920s as the Riverside No. 315. By 1923 they introduced a slightly upscale version called the Stevens No. 330. The Stevens No. 330 came with a checkered capped pistol grip walnut stock, while the Riverside had a checkered half-pistol grip walnut stock. By 1925 the 20-gauge and .410-bore were added to the offerings. During 1929, J. Stevens Arms Co. changed from using the Riverside Arms Co. name for their lower priced line and started using the Springfield Arms Co. name. Also, during 1929 they introduced the Springfield No. 311 which was a similar gun but with an uncheckered, some catalogues say “walnut” and some "walnut finish", stock. And, finally for 1929 J. Stevens Arms Co. began offering the Stevens No. 330 with a Jostam Anti-Flinch recoil pad and Lyman twin ivory sights.

For 1936, J. Stevens Arms Co. began phasing these Lewis action guns out and replacing them with guns with the action body marked 5100, or 5000 -- Stevens No. 530, Springfield No. 515, etc. In 1940, Savage added the Fox Model B to their Fox catalogues. The Model B shared many parts with the 5100 action. Also in 1940, J. Stevens Arms Co. introduced a Tenite stocked version of the No. 530, the No. 530M.

After WW-II the No. 311 emerged as the Tenite stocked version of the 5100 as a Springfield No. 311 in 1947. By 1948 the Springfield name was gone and the same gun was a Stevens No. 311.

The gun in question is a Springfield No. 311 from the 1930s marked RANGER for Sears, Roebuck & Co.