16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Model 12 vs '97
WaldoWright
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:01 pm  Reply with quote

OK all you experts/historians out there. The model 12 looks very similar to my '97. How similar are they?

I'm looking for a replacement barrel for my '97 and have seen 2 model 12's for sale. Can't seem to find any '97's for sale. Are they interchangeable?

Thanks, Waldo
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

Waldo, are you refering to the model "93 and '97. the model 12 is a hammerless, very modern looking design. The '93 and '97 are squarish and have exposed hammers. The bolts also rack out the rear and cock the hammer in plain view when you pump them. The model twelve has a side port and a closed, sloped, rear. I'm no expert here but I'd know a model 12 from the other two in a heartbeat. The barrels will not interchange. I don't think the barrels of the '93 and '97 do either, but I'm not certain. Anyone know for sure?
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:54 pm  Reply with quote

No
WaldoWright
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:02 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Waldo, are you refering to the model "93 and '97. the model 12 is a hammerless, very modern looking design. The '93 and '97 are squarish and have exposed hammers. The bolts also rack out the rear and cock the hammer in plain view when you pump them. The model twelve has a side port and a closed, sloped, rear. I'm no expert here but I'd know a model 12 from the other two in a heartbeat. The barrels will not interchange. I don't think the barrels of the '93 and '97 do either, but I'm not certain. Anyone know for sure?

You did describe the '97 perfectly (not familiar with the '93), but I found out what I was looking for. I'll keep looking for a '97 barrel.

Thanks,
Waldo
Tulsey
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:25 am  Reply with quote

You might check with Corson barrels, Numrich arms and Coyote Cap gunworks. Since you are comparing a model 12 to a model 97 I assume you are talking about a take down model 97. I make the second assumption that you are talking about a 16 gauge 97 since you posted it here. Changing barrels on a model 12 or takedown 97 can be very easy or a real job. Most barrels you find are barrels only. That means you have to remove the old barrel from the extention collar and attach the new one to the collar. Many collars have been ruined doing this. Sometimes you find the model 12 or 97 barrels complete. That means they have a new magazine tube, slide bar, handle and all the other parts so you can twist the barrels on and off the receiver. I keep thinking I read somewhere about someone putting a model 12 barrel on a 97. This might have been a 12 gauge, but I think it involved putting the 12 barrel into a 97 collar.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

Ask a qualified gunsmith.

NR
WaldoWright
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:32 pm  Reply with quote

The history behind my post is, I purchased a pristine '97. The seller rated it a 98% condition, and once I received it, I agree. It's perfect. I want to use it in SASS competitions. BUT, it has a 30" barrel. I want to keep it as original as possible, but a 20" barrel is WAY more comptetitive. I would like to find a spare barrel (basically any length) and take it to my local gunsmith and have him cut it down to 20" and replace the original barrel with the stubby. Rather than cut the original. Did I even THINK that? I apologize. That way if I ever have a 60's flashback and decide to sell it, I can put the original barrel back on.

WW
Tulsey
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:46 am  Reply with quote

Waldo: Corson listed a chopped 97 16 ga barrel yesterday. You could get a barrel extention collar to put the chopped barrel on and then move the rest of your parts to it. If you wanted to get rid of the 97 later , just switch the parts to the original barrel and collar. As you probably know, the 16 ga 97s offer a competitive advantage in SASS with the smaller 16 ga shell going in the same 12 ga opening. Many people can grab four 16s and do the over the top loading and never have to return to the belt. I found out my 16 ga 97 did not like the new Winchester shells. The hulls are much lighter in weight than the older ones or even the Remington and Federals. I was having ejection problems, but Coyote Cap changed the ejector and that helped, I like the Remington or Federal shells for SASS in the 16 ga 97, but am going to give a box of the Italian Fs i a try. Be sure to keep the stock tight. Lots of 97s develop cracks along the wrist of the stock Good luck with your 97. .
WaldoWright
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:41 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great info, Tulsey. Unfortunately the Corson barrels were for a solid frame and I have a take down. But it's a great site for my continued search.

Waldo