16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  drc's 16ga family
drcook
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:41 am  Reply with quote

Here are my 16's. The top one is appropriately named "Quasimodo". Eventually I will do a complete restoration of it. It was my dad's gun and while he bought it used, it will become a family heirloom, which is where it's real value lies. It is a Savage 755A.

The others are all Ithaca 37's. They are in various stages of restoration, or to simply stay as they are.

The one in the white is that 1948 I posted about getting lazer welded. It is ready to go get reblued.

I have to strip and polish the barrel on the one with the poly-choke so it can get reblued at the same time.

The receiver is a new old stock one I bought from Numrich for 25.00. I will be getting a 24" vent rib barrel for it in a couple weeks (on layaway). When I find a donor for parts, I will use it to build a duck/bird gun for my wife as the 24" barrel takes choke tubes and is a later model one that can take non-toxic shot.

The one with the short barrel is a 1966 that I bought recently. It's 28" full
choke barrel is on the way to N.Y. for a young man to use to hunt turkeys with. I have a 26" vent rib barrel I put on layaway that will be here in a week or 2. It takes screw in chokes and can handle non-toxic shot.

skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:28 am  Reply with quote

Wonderful, thanks for sharing
Mike

upstateduckman
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:47 am  Reply with quote

Beautiful set of shotguns! That 28" barrel that you moved will make a 12 year old boy really happy!
BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:48 am  Reply with quote

Nice! The Model 37 is my favorite pump gun.

oneeyednine1029
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:49 pm  Reply with quote

Beautiful set You have there !!!! I have a Savage 775A in 16ga with a poly choke. If I keep seeing all these '37's , I may have to have one or two for my collection.. I'm sure the young man will be tickled pink when he gets his "new" barrel..

Savage Fox B model
1972 Reno double barrel
Mossberg model 190 bolt action
JC Higgins bolt action
drcook
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

the one with the poly-choke is the one I am turning into a turkey gun for my wife. the buttstock is stripped and the checkering about halfway recut. I have to plug a couple screw holes with a dowel and then I will fit an Ithaca buttplate that I bought for it. It is not period correct, but it does say Ithaca (new old stock) and they look pretty nice. I bought enough buttplates to fix all my guns that need one, and the one that I will build at the bottom.

I stopped at the local pawnshop today and there is a 1956 Ithaca 37 16ga there with a cracked stock, but in otherwise decent shape. The action is tight and the forearm wood is great.

If it is still there in a few weeks, I will buy it, sell the 28" MOD choked barrel and strip it for the rest of the parts.

The one that is 3rd from the top actually came with 2 barrels. The original solid rib barrel that it was fitted with in 1949 and a King Ferry barrel. Ithaca made barrels for the old style thread receivers while they were in King Ferry.

It came with a full set of choke tubes. IC, Skeet, Mod and Full on the flush fitting and Mod, Full and Extra Full plus a blank one to be turned into whatever of extended, steel shot rated tubes.

They are Colonial tubes and the 2 barrels that I have on lawaway take Colonial, 1 has a Mod and 1 has a Full so I am good to go on everything that I need.

down the road, if I can find an extra 16ga barrel for the Savage, I will get it and have it tapped for choke tubes. It would be a great duck gun with the appropriate tube in it.

onefunzr2
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:49 am  Reply with quote

I like that all your 37's wear the ringtail forend. Classic!

dilly
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:49 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for posting DRC. Nice collection. Looks like you need a straight gripped model to round it out! Very Happy

drcook
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:35 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks for posting DRC. Nice collection. Looks like you need a straight gripped model to round it out!

Unfortunately that won't be in the cards. I have an "issue" with my rt hand that precludes me from holding a straight stock. Due to a severe injury 40 yrs ago, my wrist is not very flexible.

I have some 12ga Ithacas, but they are newer and don't have the corncob foreend. I do like the corncob style.

I am thinking about a laminate stock on the one I will build up for my wife. I have to check though if the corncob annular "cuts" would allow the laminate to peel off.

59fairlane
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

Nice.

Nice Ithaca's!!!!

Ithaca 37R 16 1940
Ithaca 37 16 1957