16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Selling guns
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:34 am  Reply with quote

The shipping guns thread got me thinking about the increasingly complicated problem of selling guns. Recognizing that each of us should understand any local or state laws that may apply, it is my understanding that LONG GUNS may still be sold between individuals, neither of whom have a FFL (at my home or at a gun show) BUT HANDGUNS may only be sold by a FFL holder. Correct?
(I've visited-voluntarily-Leavenworth and do not wish to become a 'guest' therein. Would get me back to KS though Rolling Eyes )

clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:55 am  Reply with quote

Incorrect unless something has changed VERY recently.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:09 am  Reply with quote

In Michigan, LONG GUNS may be sold between individuals, neither of whom have a FFL, as long as they are of legal age. Handguns can be sold between individuals, but a purchase permit must be gotten first. In either case, you do not have to go through an FFL. This is within the State, not out of State. If you buy a long gun at a gunshow, from an FFL holder, he must call in the back ground check and do all the paper work. If you buy a gun from an individual walking around the gun show, with a gun on his shoulder. You simply give him the cash and it's yours.
Foursquare
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:27 am  Reply with quote

It would be near impossible to list (or make sense of) all the local/state restrictions that might apply.
So it's probably best to restrict the discussion to Federal rules. And I believe Dave has it pegged. Face to face sales of long guns and handguns are perfectly legal between non-licensees.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:51 pm  Reply with quote

In many states, anyone that purchases a handgun has to have some sort of permit. In Iowa, it's either a permit to purchase (which is not required for a long gun) or a CC permit. By the letter of the law, I think it would be illegal even for me (non-dealer) to sell a handgun to someone who does not have a permit, and I certainly would not do so. Since there is no such thing as a federal handgun permit, there could not be a federal law against face to face handgun sales.
budrichard
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

Wisconsin allows both long and handguns sales between private individuals with no permits or record keeping. -Dick
Birdawg
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:25 pm  Reply with quote

Federal law has no restriction to the transfer of legal firearms (long arms or handguns) between individuals who can legally possess firearms as long as they reside in the same state.
driggy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:16 pm  Reply with quote

Done this on Gunbroker a few times. Same state long guns OK with feds (no FFL required), Different state long guns has to be sent to a FFL for transfer. Hand guns I believe follow the same rules. As to State laws all I know is they are all different. I believe the sender is usually OK. Just when it gets to receivers FFL does things get tricky.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:28 pm  Reply with quote

I can only go by what I see. At local gun shows (those located in God's country, ie Kansas, for those other than the Rev...well, the REAL God's country is Nebraska, but that's another story and I digress) it is common to see guns or collections of same labled "Private collection", and those (long or hand, I believe) can be purchased without paperwork, etc. I even see such guns at dealer's booths, so I assume that's not the governing factor. One still sees lots of newspaper ads for guns here, and though I've never bought one that way, I'm sure no one at 237 Walnut St. is asking you to fill out an application yada yada yada, and since it happens every day, and very publically, I assume it's legal. Shipping them in state? Don't know. Shipping them out of state? FFL, I'm sure.

All of the above is subject to the best caveat of all time: Dennis Miller's "That's just my opinion...I could be wrong."

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook