16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Smith & Wesson hull
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:02 pm  Reply with quote

It is ribbed red plastic, paper basewad, chrome hi-base, 2 3\4". It originally contained 3 1\4 dram, 1 1\8 #6 shot. I would like to reload the same except with #5 shot. I have Win209 primers and Blue dot, Green dot, Herco, Universal and SR-7625 powders.

Does anyone have a proper recipe using these components?
woodcock
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:51 pm  Reply with quote

Those hulls came in red and blue with bases either brassed or chromed. Alcan brands (same hull) usually had the brass washed bases.
These hulls are Federal clones---I have used Federal recipes in these for 15+ years, they appear to hold up pretty well but I have found that the Fiocchi primers, being slightly larger in diameter, provide a better fit although all the 209 sizes seem to be OK.
The G/BP wads also seem to more nearly match the internal diameter as opposed to R16/SP16.
I am predisposed to milder one ounce fodder so if you are interested in a load or two PM me.
Ron
hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:07 pm  Reply with quote

At one time S+W had a full line of shotshell,metallic and rimfire ammo.I still have a catolog for their line of holsters.
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:02 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Ron, but I'm not going to invest in any G/BP wads or Fiocchi primers for 2 boxes of these S & W hulls. I'll pitch 'em in the trash and stick to the Rem black hulls with either the SP-16 or R-16 wads.

I had planned on using them as hi-powered field loads, and the chrome and red hulls would differentiate them from my other loads. I just threw away hundreds of old Rem and Mohawk hulls that needed the *57 sized primers, so they wouldn't get mixed up with the newer Rem hulls that use the *209 size primer. I still have hundreds of the *57 primers but use them in my CVA inline muzzzleloader.

I guess my frugal side got the better of me and I thought I could put the S & W hulls to good use. OK, scratch that idea!