16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 gauge remington skeet choke tube
brmurray
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:19 pm  Reply with quote

any advice please? Thanks!

Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:53 pm  Reply with quote

Brent,
If you are looking to buy try the Trulock chokes. I purchased a SK1, SK2, and IM from MPC Sports. They are extended and work great.
Best,
Ron
Southern PA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:05 pm  Reply with quote

I bought some choke tubes for Remington 16 ga. from the boys at COMP-N-CHOKE and they should already have them in stock. They have chokes for Rem. 16 gauge in: spreader (neg.), cylinder, skeet, IC., LM., Mod. IM., and Full.

They are great chokes that are better than any other brand (if you don't mind ported).

You can contact them at:

925 Waynesboro Hiway
Sylvania, GA 30467

Phone: 888-875-7906
FAX: 912-829-4383

Good Luck,

Southern PA.
nossman
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:24 pm  Reply with quote

Call Briley's. I bought mine (Remington Flush Black Oxide) from them. They don't list any Remington 16ga chokes on the website, but they have them.
TJC
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:41 pm  Reply with quote

Aother vote for the Tru Locks. I have a complete set from Skt1 up through a double on Full for my Citori Feather.

Great ext choke tubes.

hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

br--do you find the factory chokes to be tighter than marked????My tubes what came with my 1100 are definetly tighter than what is marked on the side---when shooting skeet with the i/c it flat smokes birds all the way around-no I haven't measured it but the mod choke on trap birds is effective to the 27---I am no newbie as far as chokes/shotguns and at this point really don't care what it mikes out at.Just want to know if your seem to be about one constriction over what is marked---I haven't used the full choke yet
87016ga
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:12 pm  Reply with quote

hoa:
i too have found the choking tighter than stamped on the tube and either smoke the birds in skeet or flat out miss them all together, with i.c. installed.
remedied that real quick with some b.p. spreader load receipes.
modified tube and g.p. 1-1/8oz of 5's are my LATE SEASON pheasant setup.
the i.c. tube sans spreader loads and 71/2 shot are great for 5 stand Smile
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

870--if you get a chance- trim the petals off a wad-load them regular and see what you think,this will give you a brush wad---I have used them to good effect-or try slitting a few extra fingers in your wad-I hate paying for so called specialty wads when I only need a 100 or so.I enjoy my 1100 but will break down at Sparta and get a real skeet tube for it Wink
87016ga
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

i am calling briley's tomorrow and ordering mine Very Happy
brdhnt
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:08 am  Reply with quote

Brent,

I also advise to call George Trulock at Trulock chokes.

Other companies may have more name recognition and PR, but Trulock chokes are some of the best made and George is a fine Southern Gentleman whom I enjoy doing business with.

A Georgism: At one of the SHOT Shows, a friend who was attending with me and I stopped in George's booth. This was the first year that Remington was marketing Hevi-Shot. My friend had just listened to a dissertation at another choke tube makers booth on their special "Hevi-Shot" chokes and my friend asked George if he was making a special choke for Hevi-Shot.

George asked him what kind of gun he shot, what waterfowl he was hunting and what distances he usally took the birds. George walked over to the display board and pulled down an IC and a Mod extended choke for my friend's Beretta and handed them to him and said: "Try these."

My friend asked George if these were his special Hevi-Shot tubes. George replied in his soft Georgia drawl: "Well, if you want, I can take those tubes, inscribed 'Hevi-Shot Specials" on them and charge you an extra $20, or you can take those chokes and use them with Hevi-Shot, lead or steel. They'll do the same job either way."

A fine product, a fine company and a fime gentleman. He gets my vote (and my business).

Tell George I said Hi.

Terry M. Boyer
________
Valium rehab forums

Last edited by brdhnt on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:08 am  Reply with quote

I looked up the Colonial Chokes website. They only offer the tru choke style tube that fits the Ithaca barrels. They don't make aftermarket chokes for Remington and Browning guns.

There are a couple of reasons most manufacturers make 16 ga. chokes a bit tight. First, the guns are generally thought of as hunting guns and not for target. Second, the vast majority of 16 ga. amoo sold in this countrty is the "promo" load with softer shot plus, most offshore ammo is made with european style wads have shorter shot cups which usually pattern more open than American style wads. The gun makers try to offset the effects of soft shot with more choke. This is about all that I could gleen from my inquiries to Browning about hteir use of very tight full choke tubes.

If you are loading your own ammo with hard shot and R16 or SP16 wads, you would do well to buy a skeet tube and use it for IC, then just use one or two more open chokes for your general shooting right across the board. This will help you get nice useful patterns from your 16 ga gun with modern choke tubes. this will hold true for premium hunting loads too.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:38 am  Reply with quote

16 gg. I have a briley extended skeet tube and Ic tube. I load WCM shot and they do indeed pattern like Ic & Mod. I think alot of guys shoot to much choke.
brmurray
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:20 am  Reply with quote

thanks for all the info. Here is where I am at though. My first choice is Briley's because that is what I have for my O/U and 391s. So, I called Briley and the customer service rep told me that the do not stock 16ga rem and they are custom order. So I guess I will go to trulock next to see what they have that are comparable. Thanks for the info. I also feel the stock tubes are tight. I pulverize the low house when shooting skeet.

Brent

brmurray
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:21 am  Reply with quote

pudelpointer wrote:
16 gg. I have a briley extended skeet tube and Ic tube. I load WCM shot and they do indeed pattern like Ic & Mod. I think alot of guys shoot to much choke.

are they custom tubes??

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:46 am  Reply with quote

They are the briley extended tubes for browning invector. I think they stock them. But I'm sure they would make them to any size you like. I think the combination of hard shot and the tubes a little on the tight side and one piece plastic wads all stew together to close the pattern up. We were messing around wednesday the last round of skeet I was breaking targets hard with my IC 3/4 of the way to the landing stake. What is that 35 to 40 yards.