16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Model 37 Ithaca and one safe field carry method.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:07 am  Reply with quote

The more I familiarize myself with my Model 37 Ithaca, the more I appreciate the genious of John Browning, a co-designer of this great gun.

I was recently shown a tried and true method for carrying the gun with a shell on the lifter ready to go, but with the forend retracted and the action opened. all I or anyone has to do is push the forend foreward while mounting the gun upon the flush. This forward motion both brings the shell up, feeds it, and closes the bolt into battery. The forward motion of the leading hand also automatically directs the barrel at the bird in flight if done right.

I practiced the above move on my club's skeet field this past Sunday. I'd call for the bird, then close the action as I pushed the forend at the target while simultaneously bringing the gun to my cheek. It was quick, efficient, and very sure plus it was a very safe way to carry a gun and mount it for field shooting. It works to perfection with a minimum of practice.

This method of mounting and shooting is possible only with the Model 37 pump or any similar bottom ejecting pump without a side ejection port. Its one more reason to admire the design and the man behind it.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

The only drawback would be you are now reduced to two shells---Not really sure if this even problem for most situations Question
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:49 am  Reply with quote

I believe my model 37 magazine holds 4, so that would be the limit. We are not required to plug a magazine for upland hunting. Only if we are waterfowling does the Federal statuate come into play. I can't think of any reason to have more than 3 shells in the gun while hunting. I've never needed more than two, so the third is an extra anyway.
LiverTick
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:45 am  Reply with quote

From the MI DNR:

Shell Capacity for Shotguns and Centerfire Rifles
It is unlawful to hunt with a semi-automatic shotgun or semi-automatic rifle, other than a .22 caliber rimfire, that can hold more than six shells in the barrel and magazine combined. Fully automatic firearms are illegal. All shotguns used for migratory game birds (including woodcock) must be plugged so the total capacity of the shotgun does not exceed three shells.

Is this not the case in other states? I thought the migratory bird shell limit was passed down from the federal regs.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:20 am  Reply with quote

The migratory bird law is a federal statute, not a state statute. It supercedes any state statute that conflicts. However, pheasant, quail, and grouse plus some other species are not concidered migratory. Woodcock are. Some states require a plug for all bird hunting and others just let the federal statute cover what it is designed to. Mass is one of those states that does not require a plugged magazine for upland hunting except woodcock which overlaps. So does snipe, rail, gallinules, marsh hen, etc.

As far as total capacity, I 've never hunted with a shotgun that could hold more than five rounds. I've personnally never loaded more than three. I've never done a bunch of hunting with a rimfire rifle other than one with a 5 round clip. My centerfire rifles are all 4 or under. Here two shots is all I've ever loaded. So I never really concerned myself about it. I've always found those numberes more than adequate in any hunting situation I've ever come across. I always carried spare ammo in my pockets. I'm not out there to declare war on the wildlife--well maybe grouse. Wink
LiverTick
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:28 pm  Reply with quote

Right! That is my point.

In my neck of the woods, a woodcock is a target of opportunity while grouse hunting. While I guess you wouldn't have to have a plugged gun if you didn't have a dead mudbat in your game bag, prudence dictates a gun limited to three shells, including the one in the chamber if only to avoid any potential hassle with the DNR.

So, 16GG, do you simply not shoot woodcock when grouse hunting, plug that 5-banger down, always use a different gun, or just take your chances?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:59 pm  Reply with quote

The 37 is a new acquisition. up until now, all my grouse and woodcock hunting have been with hinge guns. However, since Hiedi has passed, I doubt I'll ever shoot another woodcock. I don't eat them. Hiedi adored the little buggers so I'd shoot a few each year to satisfy her. I'd give them to my French neighbor. He liked them. I'd also encounter a few while hunting some of the stocked pheasant areas. However, Hiedi tended to ignore them if pheasant was the bird d'jour. She keyed on what we were after most times. I'd always pass them up in these cases. Frankly, they are not much of wingshooting challenge in all but the thickest cover. Snipe is my favorite small bird. They make woodcock seem like helicopters compared to a jet. I stick exclusively to a .410 hinge gun for snipe to make it even more sporting. So I guess your answer is I'd pass on them.

Ironically enough, here in Eastern MA, woodcock generally are not found much with grouse. I don't know why. But its true in all but a small handful of places I hunt. The grouse tend to like white oak stands near open fields with lots of brambles like rasberry and drier ground where checkerberries are found. They are also found in the scrub oaks down the cape where the soil is generally too sandy for earthworms. Woodcock frequent areas where the earthworms are close to the surface and in the damp leaf litter where aspens and willow are found. However, they don't frequent the southeast New England cedar swamps much. The soil there is very tannic and lacks forage. Again, I think worms are the key. No worms, no timberdoodles.