16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  16 gauge search
tcadien
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:59 am  Reply with quote

Hello all,

First post here, and I'm glad to have found this site. I learned to hunt on an old Rem. 870 Wingmaster in 16. I have had an obsession with them ever since. I have been hunting with a 12 gauge, mostly because it was available.

My dad doesnt want to part with the ol' wingmaster, so I'm on the search for a 16. I really like the ithacas but the new ones are a little pricey for me. I have come across several older ones, but they seem pricey as well for what they are. Ithaca told me I could shoot steel in the older barrels as long as it was a modified choke or larger, which makes it even more difficult to find.

Any suggestions? any comments on the new Ithacas? I have the cash to get a new one, but I held one at cabelas and (20 gauge) and it seemed... I dont know.. not worth 895 bucks.

I hunt ducks, squirrel, and rabbit, ducks mostly
thanks for your help in advance,

-T
studdog
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:46 am  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard. IMHO I'd look for a good clean used one. There are lots of fine 870's and mod 37's out there. Good luck

rdja
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:19 am  Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. Good to see another duck hunter as that is my passion. Wished I lived in LA, in the fall anyway. Be patient and watch the action sites I have found some good buys that way. I hope to shoot duck with my 16 fixed choke this fall.
drcook
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:53 am  Reply with quote

If you look for an Ithaca with a serial nbr greater than 855,000, then the new barrels from Ithaca will fit it. Anything prior to that, the barrels have to be custom fit to each receiver and those are no longer made.

I just built myself a 16ga gun by getting a post 855,000 receiver and a barrel that takes screw in chokes and can handle non-toxic shot.

End result, the Ithaca I wanted at a price substantially less than a new one.

skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:35 am  Reply with quote

Hello tcadien
WELCOME
Fine country you hail from !!!

Will look for a Wingmaster for you

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=250932

Mike

popplecop
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:48 am  Reply with quote

Great state, I hang around Vermillion Parish every year. My slide action 16s are an Ithaca 37 and a Rem. 31. Son shoots an 870 and a Browning BPS for his slide 16s. Would think you would be happy with ny of those.

Doublebass73
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:54 am  Reply with quote

Try to find an Ithaca from the 40's or 50's. Prices are reasonable and the fit and finish is excellent along with super smooth actions. They are also nice and light weight. You should be able to find one in good condition in the $300 - $500 range.
1stgun
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

Hey T! Welcome to the site. I am a little east of you in Robert. Every once in a great while you can find a 16 pump at one of the local gunshows. Living in BR puts you right in the center of three of them: Gonzales, Lafayette and Alex. If you can't find anything you like there, I highly recommend any of the shows in Jackson or Hattiesburg, MS. That is definitely Remington country and those boys take them seriously. But you can find 16's at good prices there. One of the best local shows is Slidell and that is coming up in the middle of July. Good luck, maybe I will see you at one of the shows, I will be the tall good looking guy muttering "so many guns-so little time",

Chuck