16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Roll Crimping Paper Hulls?
DanLee
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:10 am  Reply with quote

I have a good quantity of Cheddite new paper hulls in 16 gauge. Thus far I've fold crimped them, but I'd like to try a roll crimp. Can the same roll crimper BP sells be used for paper hulls?

Dan
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:55 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, but if you can find an old Lyman roll crimp tool on E-bay, they work better.

old colonel
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

You can use the BP roll crimper, and I concur that the Lyman would be better (for both Plastic and paper, but I add the Gaep Italian makes both a roll crimper for plastic (OTP) and one for paper (OTC)

I have tried to pick up at least one of every kind of roll crimper to include the old hand crimpers that clamps to the table and brass hand rollers on a wood handle (my favourite manual roll crimper)

You should note that all crimpers from the same source are not identical. I have several lyman and hand rollers and they do not perform the same as their seeming identical peer. It maybe the curing of them or just luck.

As expenses go, a bunch of different roll crimpers and a cheap drill press from harbor freight do not cost much

Doggai
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:57 pm  Reply with quote

Precision Reloading (1-800-223-0900) has a hand drill roll crimping tool that is superior to the BPI tool at a somewhat lower price. The difference is the PR crimper has 4 roll over pins while the BPI has 1. It makes a difference in the finished product. The PR product is $25.99 but they are sometimes on sale for $20.99. You just have to watch. Call them and they will send you a catalog. Look on page 128.

As the old colonel says, there are several hand roll crimpers around that you can find sometimes on eBay but they can get pricey. The Italian GAEP is a good tool, but pricey. There's another one from SIARM in Italy but they don't sell in the US.

Browning Double Auto Twelvette
Browning Double Auto Twentyweight
Remington 1100 12 2 barrels
Charles Daly SxS 28