16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Reloading 2&1/2" 16's
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:25 am  Reply with quote

Never done any reloading but the cost of 16ga 2&1/2's is making me think it might be time to start. I have a good supply of RST 2 1/2 hulls and saw the post on the LP reloading group. Question is will the Lee Load All handle 2 1/2" hulls? Based on what I have read on this forum the Lee sounds like a good one to start with and if it works out maybe then move up. Could also reload 20s with it for not much more cost to upgrade. If the lee won't handle short hulls any suggestions?

Thanks for any/all input.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:38 am  Reply with quote

I purchased a Lee Load ALL , with some wads and hulls as package deal, that the gentleman I bought it from said he used to load 2 1/2 shells . Looks like he just put a 1/4" leather or rubber ( haven't really looked at to close) spacer under the final crimp station. he said it worked fine. I have not tried it , as I have 2 other presses that I can load 2 1/2" on . I would be willing to sell it if you interested . I have never used a Lee, but have heard they work Ok , but are kinda bottom of the barrel.
spr310
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:17 pm  Reply with quote

The Lee Loadall is not a good one for 2 1/2" hulls. To do it you should cut off 1/4" on the final crimp station. The hull will hang up if you don't. Get a Mec and save yourself some headaches.
Myself I have three Loadalls. They are old ones, and I have worked on them to work for any hull and I can get perfect crimps with them, You'll need a sharp file a drill and a saw.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:28 am  Reply with quote

Great responses. Going to research the Mec since two out of three, one PM, told me they are the best for 2 1/2 reloads.

Thanks Guys, knew I would get good guidance on this forum.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:44 am  Reply with quote

My Mec Size Master works great for the 2 1/2 loads and Ponsness Warren is really good also.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:22 am  Reply with quote

Thought I would post an update to this. I went with a MEC 600 Mark V and picked up a MEC short kit for 2 1/2' loading. Joined the Low Pressure Group and bout wore out my eyes reading all that great info. Bottom line, My trap scores with that old French SxS have really improved with the reloads I am using now. Using RST/Cheddite 2 1/2", SR 7625 20.6g, Ched 209, BP/SG 16, and 7/8oz Magnum #8. That MEC short kit makes loading these hulls a snap. Wish I had started reloading much sooner.

Thanks for the education and responses.